Police are warning the public after a transport trailer containing a large quantity of dangerous chemicals was stolen in Mississauga early Friday.
Investigators say the trailer contained sulphuric acid, sodium hydroxide, and potassium hydroxide, and poses a potential hazard to public safety.
Peel police say the chemicals are all classed as dangerous goods and are corrosive in nature, but are stable when on their own.
However, investigators say the chemicals can become dangerous when used improperly and may pose a threat to anyone who comes into contact with them.
The white, 53-foot trailer bears Nova Scotia licence plate PT57976, and has the words Clarke Road Transportation printed in red letters along both sides.
Toronto police say charges have been laid against a 19-year-old man in a stabbing incident last month that left one man dead and another in hospital.
Trestan Brown of Toronto is charged with second-degree murder and attempted murder, and is to appear in court on Saturday.
Police also released the name of the man who died in the incident.
Glenton Gibson was one of two men found suffering stab wounds when officers responded to a call on Bleecker Street near Sherbourne and Wellesley on the afternoon of Dec. 20.
Investigators believe the two men were stabbed in a confrontation that took place in an apartment unit.
Police believe the wounded men left the building via a stairwell, and collapsed from their injuries while running along the street.
Last year there was the fewest number of fatalities due to fire since 2006.
That news in a release from Toronto Fire Services Friday who says the 11 fatal fires are the lowest total in 6 years.
Also interesting to note - that Fire Chief Jim Sales says that the operating budget recommendation to eliminate 101 vacant firefighter positions and five fire trucks would have minimal impact on current operations.
It's a significant departure from the story the Fire Fighters Union is painting through commercials saying lives could be at risk if the city goes ahead with the cuts.
The public is pretty split on who they back in the dispute between teachers and the province.
A new Ipsos Reid poll done for Newstalk1010 shows half of the people asked blame both sides for what's going on at the province's schools.
Pollster John Wright says the public isn't even sure what the argument is about, with 50% thinking it's about wages and benefits, and the other 50% saying it's about the bargaining process.
Wright also says about 3 quarters of the population wants there to be centralized bargaining every couple of years, rather than the case by case negotiations the unions are pushing for at the board level.
2/3rds of the public also believes teachers are very well compensated, and extracurricular activities should be included as part of their day.
Some would even call them 'pampered' and the majority of those asked say the extra hours should no longer ...
While the head of the union representing the province's public high school teachers says they will be abiding by the ruling of the Ontario Labour Relations Board (OLRB), extra curricular action is staying as-is.
Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation (OSSTF) president Ken Coran says they now have very limited ways to show their displeasure with Bill 115 but underlines union brass isn't handcuffing its teachers.
Coran underlines after meeting with 140 local union heads this week, it became clear teachers themselves wanted to continue to pull back from volunteering to help with after-school and lunch time programs like coaching sports teams and heading drama clubs.
As for if the OSSTF plans on trying to stage any more protests, Coran stresses the OLRB was clear that they cannot legally organize anything.
Coran says he hopes to move forward with more discussions with the ministry of education. He says if that's not ...
Toronto City Councilor Giorgio Mammoliti could be in some hot water.
A Compliance Audit Report for the City about the Ward 7 Councilor, found that he overspent on his campaign during the last municipal election.
The audit found that he passed the limit by more than 12 thousand dollars in what's being called an 'apparent contravention of the Municipal Elections Act.
Next up is the city's compliance Audit Committee, who can chose to do a number of things.
First, they can chose to do nothing.
Secondly, it can be further passed on to a special prosecutor for potential legal action.
The Audit Committee will meet on February 4th.
Mammoliti could be bounced from his seat, if a court rules that he breached Act.
It's not here yet, but a new strain of Norovirus could be making its way across Canada.
The virus has been detected in BC, and has been responsible for a substantial increase in gastrointestinal illness reports and outbreaks at health care facilities around the world.
At this point, Toronto Public Health is giving the heads up to healthcare workers and food handlers to prepare for the possible arrival of this new virus.
Norovirus is a gastrointestinal bug that generally leads to diarrhea, vomiting and stomach cramps and is highly contagious.
It can prove fatal in a worst case scenario, to the elderly, those with underlying illnesses and young children.
Police in south Florida are investigating the murder of a retired North York couple who spent winters in Hallandale Beach, FL.
71 year old David Pichosky and 66 year old Rochelle Wise were found dead in their condo (located between Miami and Fort Lauderdale) Thursday night after being discovered by a neighbour who had a key after the couple had missed an afternoon lunch.
Police in Hallandale Beach have yet to release details on a cause of death, suspect, or motive.
Neighbours in both Toronto (the couple lived north of Bathurst and Eglinton) and Hallandale Beach say the couple were very happy together and deeply religious.
Those that knew the couple tell Newstalk 1010 the marriage was the second for both. The pair's next door neighbour in Florida says David (who was also called Donny) had two children with at least three grandchildren. The neighbour also said that Rochelle had ...
All parents out there can breathe a sigh of relief. Not only are most schools open Friday because elementary teachers won't be walking out in protest, but high school teachers have decided not to walk out either. They had planned to protest on Wednesday.
That's from the Premier, who was heard LIVE here on Newstalk 1010 with his reaction to the Ontario Labour Relations Board (OLRB) ruling. He says he was very pleased the OLRB determined what unions called political protests, were in fact illegal strikes.
Dalton McGuinty says head of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation (OSSTF) Ken Coran called his office Friday morning. And although McGuinty reveals he did speak with union heads recently, he doesn't seem to worried about any more planned strike action.
As for who's at fault for this confusion and anger many experienced over the past 24 hours, McGuinty says playing the blame-game isn't ...
A scramble this morning for public elementary schools across Ontario, as well as teachers and parents.
The Ontario Labour Relations Board ruled that any job action taken by teachers on Friday, would be ruled "unlawful". That announcement came down just before 4 a.m. on Friday after 13 hours of discussions.
Only 30 minutes later, word came from ETFO president Sam Hammond that, all teachers and staff were urged to go to work on Friday, as long as their schools were open.
Elementary schools in these boards are open on Friday:
- Toronto District School Board, but no transportation
- York Region District School Board, but no transportation
- Peel District School Board
- Durham District School Board
- Halton Region School Board
- Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board
- Waterloo Region District School Board
- Grand Erie School Board
- Niagara District School Board
- Upper Grand District School Board
It was just before 4 a.m. on Friday that the Labour Relations Board of Ontario announced any protest staged by public elementary school teachers would be illegal and shortly afterwards, the ETFO responded.
President of the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario, Sam Hammond posted a statement on the union's website that reads:
"A Message for Members
The Ontario Labour Relations Board (OLRB) has ruled that the Political Protest scheduled to take place on January 11, 2013 violates the Ontario Labour Relations Act (OLRA).
We will abide by the decision of the OLRB. We respect the provisions of the Act - something we have requested the Minister and government to do for almost a year.
Monitor your school board website to determine if your school will be open for teachers, DECE, ESP, and PSP members.
If your school is open to staff you are required to report to your school or ...
The meeting took over 12 hours, but in the end, the Ontario Labour Relations Board has ruled that a planned walkout Friday by the province's public elementary school teachers is an illegal strike.
The decision came down just before 4 a.m. on Friday, and only a few hours before thousands of educators were due to stage a one-day walkout in protest of the governing Liberals' decision to impose two-year contracts under a controversial anti-strike law.
At least eight school boards decided to close their schools in anticipation of the protest, according to the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario. They were: Toronto, York, Halton, Kawartha Pine Ridge, Grand Erie, Greater Essex, Ottawa and Renfrew. Durham and Peel Regions had said that schools would be closed, but also asked parents to check for updates come morning.
The ruling may also alter the fate of a similar walkout planned for Jan. 16 by ...
Police are searching for suspects after shots were fired at a strip club in Etobicoke.
It was before 3 o'clock Friday morning that police responded to the call at House of Lancaster, on The Queensway near Royal York Road.
One person was taken to hospital and EMS say the victim was shot in the face.
There were reports were that three to four men took off in a Silver car.