The provinces SIU is investigating the death of a 48-year old man after an incident in Sutton Friday afternoon.
York Regional Police wre called out to the area to look for a missing person.
Officers started to enter an abandoned house when a shot was heard.
After searching the house, a man was discovered - dead from an apparent gunshot wound.
Once again a piece of glass has fallen from a Toronto Highrise and smashed to the ground below.
Police are investigating after a large piece of glass fell from a building at Bloor West and Avenue road hitting a car.
No one was injured.
It's not yet clear what building the glass fell from or why it came crashing down.
A Grey Cup ring belonging to a late CFL great has been stolen.
It was given to Bobby Kuntz, as part of the 1965 championship-winning Hamilton Tiger Cats.
The ring was swiped during a robbery at a family member's Mississauga home between January 11th & 14th.
Kuntz didn't actually get his ring until 2005 because the Ti Cats couldn't afford to buy their players rings in 1965.
The linebacker died in 2011 at age 79.
If you know where the ring might be, call Peel Police at 905-453-2121x1233 or contact Crime Stoppers.
Bill 115's days are just about numbered.
The provincial government has announced they will start the process of repealing the controversial Putting Students First Act early next week. They call it "a signal of goodwill for future labour negotiations".
Earlier this month, Education Minister Laurel Broten promised to scrap the bill after using its power to force contracts on teachers & support staff.
Labour leaders weren't exactly impressed by the promise. Sam Hammond, President of the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario said "Minister Broten will not erase the stain of Bill 115 simply by removing it after it is used."
The government is moving forward on their promise now that support staff represented by CUPE have ratified their deals.
Through negotiations with CUPE, the province has agreed to give every education employee in the province, including teachers an extra sick day for a total of 11.
Flights, meals & a $2 parking permit.
They're all in the expenses of ex Ornge CEO Chris Mazza.
Those expenses were requested by a Liberal member of the all-party committee looking into Ornge, but was shut down when the legislature was prorogued in October.
While heading up Ontario's air ambulance service, Mazza billed taxpayers for thousands of dollars in expense a month. His total compensation eventually hit $1.4-million.
Some of Mazza's expense items aren't explained, marked only as "personal".
Health Minister Deb Matthews says it's another example of Mazza's abuse of public trust, noting that Ornge now has strict rules
about expenses & posts them online.
Ornge is currently under criminal investigation for financial irregularities.
(With files from the Canadian Press)
Toronto police have identified the 15-year-old who was shot to death in a Regent Park apartment Friday afternoon as Tyson Bailey.
Police say Bullets started to fly around 2pm at a Toronto Community Housing building on Whiteside Place, in the Dundas & River area.
The boy was shot 4 times. He was rushed to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Investigators say Bailey was a "Fine, young man" and that there was nothing to suggest this was gang related.
The victim had to be carried down the stairs from the 13th floor. Residents of the building have called it's elevator "rickety".
Toronto Community Housing spokesperson Sarah Goldvine couldn't say if 603 Whiteside Place has a history of elevator issues, but says there weren't any issues Friday.
Goldvine understands that police held the building's elevator for EMS, but they didn't use it. It isn't clear if a lack of space ...
After a rough couple weeks, some good news for the Toronto District School Board.
The board learned Thursday, the province is now green-lighting 3 school makeovers in the city.
Keele & Swansea Public Schools will be getting their additions, while renovations at Earl Haig Secondary School will go ahead.
In October, the province put a hold on funding for major construction at the TDSB, a reaction to huge cost overruns on existing projects. The government pointed to a build at Nelson Mandela Public School, where the reno pricetag has ballooned from $16-million to $30-million.
Donna Quan, the TDSB's newly-appointed Acting Director of Education believes the move shows the Ministry of Education is gaining confidence in the way the board is managing accommodations in their schools.
Councillor Doug Ford will pinch-hit as Toronto's budget chair until a permanent replacement is found.
Ford takes over for councillor Mike Del Grande, who quit the job earlier this week.
Technically, Doug Ford is the new vice-chair of the budget committee but will serve as chair for the time being.
His interim role is mostly administrative. Ford's main responsibility will be to oversee budget committee meetings.
The councillor is not in charge of speaking with city staff and other tasks related to the budget process.
Big fiscal decisions will be left up to the permanent replacement.
Ford says several candidates are in the running but will not comment on who they might be until the decision is made.
He expects the new chief will be picked over the next few weeks, possibly at the city's next executive committee meeting on February 5th.
Ford refutes reports that Del Grande's resignation created ...
Meet Donna Quan.
With the ink still wet on her contract, the newly-appointed Acting Director of Education for the Toronto District School Board stepped in front of the cameras & microphones Friday morning.
Quan's predecessor Chris Spence quit last week, after being caught in a plagiarism scandal.
Quan admits the last week has been "a little bit stormy", but says the board is ready to move on as a collective team.
Quan says the stability of the system is foremost in her mind as she takes the reins of the biggest school board in Canada. She admits the TDSB will have to work hard at restoring public confidence as one of the finest education systems in the world.
Quan didn't get into detail about how she planned to boost confidence, saying only that she'd be calling on a "united" TDSB team.
On her 1st day as Director, Quan wasn't ready to dive ...
The federal ethics commissioner says Finance Minister Jim Flaherty broke the rules by supporting the radio licence
application of a company in his riding.
Mary Dawson has ordered Flaherty to refrain from writing such letters of support without first seeking permission from her office.
Flaherty and the Prime Minister's Office have said the veteran cabinet member was merely helping a firm in his riding, as any MP should, by sending the letter backing Durham Radio Inc.'s licence bid to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.
In her order made public Friday, Dawson said Flaherty violated the Conflict of Interest Act, the law governing ethical conduct of cabinet members, as well as federal accountability guidelines for ministers.
``It is improper for you, as Minister of Finance and Minister responsible for the Greater Toronto Area, to have written a letter
of support on behalf of a constituent to an administrative tribunal in ...
A Nova Scotia woman who tried to hire a hit man to kill her abusive husband is free after the Supreme Court of Canada ordered a stay of proceedings in her emotional case.
The high court also raised serious questions about the conduct of the RCMP and Nova Scotia prosecutors, saying it is "disquieting'' that the Mounties chose to mount a sting operation to arrest Nicole Ryan rather than respond to her husband's "reign of terror'' over her.
Ryan was originally acquitted of counselling to commit murder in 2010, a decision that was upheld by Nova Scotia's appeal court. She was arrested in 2008 when she tried to hire an undercover RCMP officer to kill Michael Ryan, who had threatened to kill her and her daughter and burn their house down.
Technically, the Supreme Court granted the Crown appeal and overturned the acquittal, saying ...
Police have identified the human remains found on a golf course in Vaughan on Sunday.
York Regional Police say the skull that was found in a wooded area near the Uplands Golf and Country Club, belong to 76-year-old Robert Hagans of Toronto.
Police say Hagans was reported missing in July 2011.
While the investigation continues, police say there no evidence to suggest that foul play is involved.
Anyone with information is asked to call police.
A woman is lucky to be alive after she was attacked by a man and thrown onto the subway tracks in Philadelphia.
Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) police say the vicious attack happened around 3:30 p.m., Tuesday when a man approached her on the platform and asked for a light.
Surveillance video shows the suspect moving closer to the woman, before he started beating her without warning.
The man then grabbed the woman by the ankles, drags her then throws her onto the tracks before walking away with her cell phone.
Police say the 23-year-old woman was very fortunate to walk away with only bumps, bruises and some cuts.
The suspect was arrested two days later after police identified him by the jacket he was wearing.
*****WARNING: THE FOLLOWING VIDEO MAY BE DIFFICULT TO WATCH!*****
A Milton couple faces multiple charges related to a marihuana grow operation, along with charges related to bestiality, anabolic steroids, and unlawful possession of a firearm.
Halton police executed a search warrant at a home on Thursday and during their search, police located a sophisticated grow operation consisting of 1637 plants in a building which was also being used as a dog kennel.
While searching, police came across evidence related to bestiality involving a dog, approximately $9,500 in harvested marihuana, anabolic steroids, and a 12 gauge shotgun. Two young children are also found to be residing at the residence with the couple.
The estimated value of marihuana seized from the home is $210,000.
34 year old Ryan Brett and 34 year old Donna Fleury are facing multiple charges.
A Toronto police officer has been rushed to St. Mike's hospital after being struck by a car early Friday morning.
The 43 year old police officer suffered a broken leg, arm and shoulder after flying through the windshield of a beige, Toyota Corolla. This was just before 2:30 a.m.
The officer was one of two at the scene on paid duty for a film shoot. Traffic Services say he was closing the southbound roadway while the film crew was trying to shoot the Bathurst Street bridge.
The driver and passenger in the vehicle were not hurt and are co-operating with the investigation. Constable Clint Stibbe says neither speed or alcohol are factors in the collision.