News

Triumph passenger files lawsuit against Carnival Cruise Lines

Posted By: James Moore · 2/15/2013 9:37:00 PM

In what could be the first of many, a lawsuit has been filed against Carival Cruise Lines by one of the passengers who was stranded aboard the Triumph.

Allegations in the suit include breach of maritime contract, fraud, and negligence.

It's not clear how much money the passenger is seeking.

4,000 travellers spent more than 4 days using plastic bags as toilets, sleeping in makeshift tents, and waiting hours for food after the ship lost power in the Gulf of Mexico.

An engine fire crippled the Triumph, disabling systems that provided electricity and running water.

Carnival’s peace offering to each passenger is a full refund and $500.

Authorities: Evidence suggests Dorner committed suicide

Posted By: Newstalk 1010 · 2/15/2013 10:45:00 PM

The ex-police officer suspected of killing four people in Southern California also apparently killed himself.

Officials say evidence indicates Christopher Dorner shot himself in the head.

It's also believed that Dorner spent most of his time on the run in a condominium just steps away from the command centre set up to find him.

Dorner died in mountain cabin east of Los Angeles after a wild shootout with police.

Deputy mayor wants probe of Mammoliti loans

Posted By: Siobhan Morris · 2/15/2013 7:00:00 PM

Doug Holyday wants a review of who councillors can borrow cash from.

This comes after the CBC reported councillor Giorgio Mammoliti took $275, 000 in loans from real estate developers whom he helped score the right to put up billboards along the 401 a few years before.

Mammoliti says the loans were taken out by his ex-wife's company & as far as he knows have been repaid.  He insists the transactions have nothing to do with his political life.

While the loans appear to be legal, they don't sit right with the deputy mayor. Doug Holyday tells Newstalk 1010 "to get a loan from someone that does business with the city and you're sitting in on decisions that involve them, certainly sends the wrong optics."

Holyday isn't sure who should look into this though.  He said the province could take charge under the Conflict of Interest Act or it could fall ...

Sunwing lands labour deal ahead of March Break

Posted By: Newstalk 1010 · 2/15/2013 8:09:00 PM

A tentative deal has been reached between Sunwing Airlines and the union representing its 900 flight attendants.

The deal, which still needs to be ratified at a vote in March, is the first collective agreement for the flight attendants after they joined the Canadian Union of Public Employees last year.

Details of the agreement were not made public. CUPE Local 4055 says it was ``very pleased'' with the deal, which it says will improve salaries and working conditions for its members.

Earlier this month, a three-year tentative deal was also reached between Sunwing and the union representing 150 of its pilots.

Sunwing Airlines operates from bases in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City.

(The Canadian Press)

UPDATE: Anti-poverty activists given tickets for trespassing at City Hall

Posted By: Siobhan Morris · 2/15/2013 11:00:00 PM

Toronto Police say about 50 demonstators who camped out in front of mayor Rob Ford's office on Friday have been given tickets for trespassing.

The Ontario Coalition Against Poverty supporters were escorted out of the building by officers, one by one, after being told to leave at around 10:00pm, about 30 minutes after City Hall closed for the night.

The eviction went without incident, with most activists walking out accompanied by police.  No one was taken away in handcuffs.

The protesters set up a makeshift homeless shelter on the 2nd floor to protest the lack of space in Toronto shelters.

Earlier in the evening, security asked them to clear out by 9:30pm, but protestors promised to stay until the city deals with the situation, by holding an emergency session of council.

Councillor Adam Vaughan has promised to raise the issue at council on Wednesday. OCAP organizer John Clarke calls the ...

Graham James' victims welcome extended sentence

Posted By: Siobhan Morris · 2/15/2013 6:52:00 PM

"A huge step in the right direction".

That's how ex NHL star Theo Fleury feels about a new, longer sentence for admitted child molester Graham James.

The Manitoba Court of Appeal took the unusual step Friday of extending James' sentence from 2 years to 5.

James plead guilty last year to sexually assaulting Fleury & his cousin Todd Holt when they were boys.

Fleury admits to having mixed emotions at the news, but says it's a great day for all people who advocate for the safety of children.

Sheldon Kennedy, also a former NHLer & a James victim, appreciates how rare it is for appeal courts to change sentences.  The appeal panel in James' case found the trial judge had given him too much credit for the time he served for other sex assault convictions.

Kennedy says looking at all the aspects of the case, 5 years is a "good sentence".

But Theo Fleury ...

John Duncan Resigns As Federal Aboriginal Affairs Minister

Posted By: Dave Bradley · 2/15/2013 4:36:00 PM

Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan has resigned after improperly advocating to a tax court on behalf of a constituent.

A statement from Duncan was released late today explaining his decision to quit shortly after Prime Minister Stephen Harper
announced his departure.

Duncan's cabinet duties will be taken up temporarily by Heritage Minister James Moore.

Cabinet members were asked to review their correspondence recently following revelations by The Canadian Press that Finance
Minister Jim Flaherty had improperly promoted a business in his riding in its license application to the Canadian Radio-television
and Telecommunications Commission.

The federal ethics commissioner reiterated that such interventions by public office holders are forbidden.

Duncan's office subsequently located his 2011 character reference on behalf of a constituent to a tax court judge, prompting his
decision to resign.

Asteroid Misses Earth

Posted By: Dave Bradley · 2/15/2013 4:23:00 PM

An asteroid about half the size of a football field safely brushed past the Earth, as predicted, and on schedule,
Friday.

Images of Asteroid 2012 DA14 taken by the Gingin Observatory in Australia and broadcast on NASA TV show a small white streak moving across the clear night sky.

The asteroid was projected to come within of 27,600 kms of the planet which was close enough to pass inside the ring of satellites that circle the Earth.

The flypast took place at around 2:25 p.m. Eastern time Friday. It was an improbable bit of timing.

The big asteroid is not to be confused with the smaller meteor that actually did hit Earth on Friday, causing a fair bit of damage in Russia's Chelyabinsk region.

The European Space Agency, in a post on its Twitter account, said its experts had determined there was no connection between the meteor and the asteroid.

...

The Beer Store Fined After Worker Dies

Posted By: Dave Bradley · 2/15/2013 4:21:00 PM

A court has slapped the company that runs The Beer Store with a $175,000 fine after a worker died after drinking windshield washer fluid in a bottle mislabelled as liquor.

The Ministry of Labour says two workers washing delivery trucks at the Beer Store's distribution centre in Brampton northwest of
Toronto in April 2012 found a liquor bottle filled with blue liquid.

It says the workers took turns drinking from the bottle, which held methanol windshield washing fluid used in the trucks with one of them then taking the container home and finishing it off.

The ministry says that worker later died from methanol poisoning.

The province says Brewers Retail Inc. pleaded guilty under the workplace safety law to failing to acquaint a worker with a hazard
in the handling, storage or use of a liquid chemical agent.

Fugitive Arrested in Toronto

Posted By: Newstalk 1010 · 2/15/2013 2:28:00 PM

Toronto Police have arrested a 53 year old man, wanted in the US.

Franzie Colaco is being held in custody and is currently awaiting extradition proceedings.

Cops say between March of 2009 and the fall of 2010, Colaco allegedly made false tax claims defrauding the US Government of around 15 million dollars.

He's wanted in by the Internal Revenue Service in the US on numerous counts of tax-fraud offences.

VIDEO: Premier Confident Before Throne Speech

Posted By: Katie Franzios · 2/15/2013 2:21:00 PM

Kathleen Wynne seems pretty confident that opposition leaders will give her game plan for the upcoming legislative session a nod. The Lt-Gov will deliver the Speech from the Throne on Tuesday afternoon..

The premier after she hosted a jobs roundtable at the Ontario Investment and Trade Centre on Yonge St today.

Despite reaching out to opposition leaders to get ideas, Wynne underlines she has still prepared a Liberal Speech from the Throne.

As for if opposition will support it, she says she can't judge if they'll be pleased by what's in it.

Wynne says she plans to touch base with both opposition leaders after the speech is delivered to continue with their discussions.

Graham James To Spend Longer in Jail

Posted By: Dave Bradley · 2/15/2013 12:01:00 PM

The Manitoba Court of Appeal has increased the prison sentence of child-abusing hockey coach Graham James to five years
from two.

James was convicted last year of sexually abusing retired NHL star Theo Fleury and his younger cousin, Todd Holt, when they played for James in the junior ranks.

James was given two years behind bars, but the Crown argued the trial judge erred in her application of sentencing principles and put too much weight on the 3 1/2 years he received in 1997 for abusing other young players.

``The sentencing in this case was high-profile in nature, and it involved historical sexual assaults against two young victims who found the courage and will to come forward many years after the offences occurred,'' Justice Alan MacInnes wrote on behalf of the three-judge panel.

``The decision of the (trial) judge was thorough and thoughtful. Notwithstanding, I have concluded that she erred.''

...

Toronto Police Probing 7th Murder of 2013

Posted By: Newstalk 1010 · 2/15/2013 11:46:00 AM


A man who was shot on the weekend on the CNE grounds, has now died.

This was the case from the weekend that drew the attention of the Provincial Special Investigations Unit, because of the shootout involving police.

19-year-old Naveed Shahnawaz from Brampton died of his injuries this morning, but he wasn't shot by officers in the parking lot near 15 Saskatchewan Road, early Sunday morning.

He was one of the victims who was originally shot following a fight between a large group of men.

Another 23-year-old was shot, but is expected to live.

It was after that fight, that a group of men jumped into a car and tried to run, when Police allegedly opened fire.

Charged is 18-year-old Tony Hoang Dinh from Toronto. He's facing 14 counts in all, including two counts of attempted murder.

19-year-old Jonathan Kwok-Ho Lau is facing 3 charges including assault with a weapon ...

*VIDEO* Jays Already a Hit At the Box Office

Posted By: Dave Bradley · 2/15/2013 11:00:00 AM

Leafs-Schmeafs!

You can feel the excitement for the Blue Jays in this city.

As a matter of fact, tickets for the Jays home opener against the Cleveland Indians sold out in just 20 minutes after the seats went on sale.

The Jays head into the 2013 season with renewed optimism after a number of major off season trades and acquisitions.

Pitcher RA Dickey is the reigning National League Cy Young award winner, signed a deal with Toronto after spending last season with the Mets.

Pitchers Mark Buehrle and Josh Johnson were also brought in to bring some depth to the bullpen.

Add that to the acquisitions of Jose Reyes, Melky Cabrera, Maicer Izturis and Emilio Bonifacio and you have some offense to back up the pitching prowess.

Don't forget about a healthy Jose Bautista back in the lineup and you have some pretty good reasons to be hopeful.

UPDATE: Opposition Waiting For Throne Speech

Posted By: Katie Franzios · 2/15/2013 4:37:00 PM

Don't count on the Progressive Conservatives to support anything the Liberals throw out there - from the Speech from the Throne next week, to the spring budget.

PC Economic Development Critic MPP Monte McNaughton says he's not expecting much from new Premier Kathleen Wynne next week, despite Wynne assuring opposition parties they will see some of their proposals addressed.

McNaughton underlines Ontario needs change and so far, he hasn't seen new ideas from Wynne to address the province's finances.

He continued to compare Wynne to Dalton McGuinty, calling her leadership more of the same because she was a minister in the former premier's cabinet.

Meantime, Ontario's NDP have a wait and see attitude when it comes to the Speech from the Throne that will be delivered next week.

NDP House leader Gilles Bisson says they will be looking for some of their proposals on curbing youth unemployement, closing corporate tax ...

CAA Offering Refund to Customers in Ontario Who Bought IDPs

Posted By: Suzette Francis · 2/15/2013 10:09:00 AM

In the wake of the fallout over the state of Florida requiring Canadian motorists to have an International Drivers' Permit along with their regular license if they intend on driving there, the Canadian Automobile Association is now offering refunds for  customers in South Central Ontario who bought them this week.

The CAA says customers who bought an IDP and passport photos at a CAA South Central Ontario location will have until March 15, 2013 to get a refund.

Customers looking to get a refund must bring back the IDP issued and the original receipt to any CAA SCO store.

The agency says while enforcement of this new law in Florida may not take place at least for now, they are continuing to recommend for those Canadians travelling to Florida in the next few days, to consider obtaining an IDP.

As for those who will not be travelling for some days, ...

Rogers CEO Nadir Mohamed to retire

Posted By: Michelle Rosa · 2/15/2013 5:15:00 AM

Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX:RCI.A) says president and CEO Nadir Mohamed has decided to retire in January 2014 but will continue to lead the company through 2013.

The Rogers board of directors will appoint a search committee and select a search firm to begin an international search for a replacement. The company says Edward Rogers will not be a candidate and neither will Melinda Rogers and they will both be involved in the search process. Mohamed will also be engaged in the selection process.

Mohamed began his communications career more than 30 years ago and joined Rogers in August 2000. He was president and CEO of Rogers Wireless from 2001 to 2005 and
president and COO of Rogers Communications Group in 2005 before being appointed to succeed late company founder Ted Rogers in March 2009.

The company says that since Mohamed became CEO in March 2009, the company has became the ...

Councillors want to allow side-by-side cycling on city streets

Posted By: Newstalk 1010 · 2/15/2013 6:11:00 AM

Two mid-town Toronto city councillors are trying to get a bylaw repealed. This time, it's the bylaw that requires people on bicycles to ride single-file on city streets.

It was a rule that was carried over from Etobicoke in 1998 prior to amalgamation, but the bylaw which was enacted in 2011 but isn't enforceable yet. It comes with a $60 fine for offenders.

Councillors Karen Stintz and Josh Colle think it can be dangerous at times for cyclists to ride in single-file and Stintz feels there shouldn't be any issue with two cyclists riding side-by-side when there's enough space for cars to safely pass around.

Stintz claims this bylaw is redundant since it's already covered in the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

This all came about after a complaint from The Morning Glory Cycling Club, who's 400 members have been pulled over by Toronto police and warned three times for not ...

Pistorius statement disputes he murdered girlfriend in "the strongest terms"

Posted By: Newstalk 1010 · 2/15/2013 8:16:00 AM

Oscar Pistorius held his head in his hands and wept openly in court Friday as prosecutors said they would pursue a charge of premeditated murder against the Paralympic superstar.

Pistorius was formally charged at Pretoria Magistrate's Court with one count of murder after his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, a
model and budding reality TV show contestant. The 30-year-old was shot multiple times and died at Pistorius' upmarket home early Thursday morning.

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel said Friday in court it was premeditated murder, indicating the prosecution would file that more serious charge, upgraded from murder.

The double-amputee athlete's arrest and murder charge had already left South Africa stunned after Steenkamp's death on Valentine's Day at Pistorius' house in a gated community in an eastern suburb of South Africa's capital, Pretoria.

Following the hearing, Pistorius' family and his London management company issued a statement calling into question the criminal charge the 26-year-old athlete ...

NASA: Asteroid to graze past Earth Friday afternoon

Posted By: Michelle Rosa · 2/15/2013 5:22:00 AM

An asteroid about half the size of a football field will make a very close visit to Earth on Friday and will even be affected by the planet's gravitational pull. Asteroid 2012 DA14 will pass inside the ring of satellites that circle the planet, but scientists say Canadians shouldn't be worried about a collision.

Peter Brown, a scientist at Western University in London, Ont., says it's the largest asteroid on record to pass so close to the Earth at 27,600 kilometres. It is expected to pass over the Indian Ocean at around 2:30 p.m. EST.

``Things of this size get this close to the Earth or closer only about once every 40 years,'' Brown, who studies asteroids and meteors, said in an interview. ''So it's an unusual event.``

The asteroid will come so close that the Earth's gravity will change its orbit, but it won't be dragged down.

``We know ...

**AUDIO**VIDEO**: Meteor hits Russia, causing injuries

Posted By: Newstalk 1010 · 2/15/2013 9:01:00 AM

A meteor streaked across the sky above Russia's Ural Mountains on Friday morning, causing sharp explosions and injuring more than 500 people, many of them hurt by broken glass. Over 80 of those injured are children.

``There was panic. People had no idea what was happening. Everyone was going around to people's houses to check if they were OK,'' said Sergey Hametov, a resident of Chelyabinsk, about 1500 kilometres east of Moscow, the biggest city in the affected region.

``We saw a big burst of light then went outside to see what it was and we heard a really loud thundering sound,'' he told The Associated Press by telephone.

Some meteorites (fragments of the meteor) fell in a reservoir outside the town of Cherbakul, the regional governor's office said, according to the ITAR-Tass news agency. It was not immediately clear if any people were struck by fragments.

Interior Ministry spokesman ...

Browse News by Date

«April 2014»
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930123
45678910