The sidewalks outside the Danforth Music Hall were taken over by hundreds of music fans Thursday, anxious to get up close with a pop superstar.
Rihanna chose the 1500 person capacity venue as the 2nd stop on her whirlwind 777 tour--- 7 shows, 7 countries in 7 nights.
Most of the people lucky enough to make it past the cluster of security guards outside the hall's glass doors were contest winners. Others started lining up as early as 10:30am for a shot to be inside as word of the show spread online.
The unique opportunity to see such a huge star perform on such a small stage wasn't lost on the fans in line. They were excited to get even closer to the singer than usual & were hoping she would interact with the audience more too.
Though most of the fans lined up outside the Danforth Music Hall were young women, there were ...
With another chunk of the NHL schedule in danger of being cancelled, about the only thing the league and NHL Players' Association are talking about is taking a break.
Gary Bettman contacted Donald Fehr on Wednesday and suggested the sides place a two-week moratorium on negotiations, two sources confirmed to The Canadian Press on Thursday night.
A response has yet to be given. Fehr, the NHLPA's executive director, told the NHL commissioner he wanted to take the offer to his membership before providing an answer.
The requested break comes after talks fell silent following six consecutive days of meetings between the sides last week in New York. It was clear by the end of that run that pessimism and some bad feelings had made their way into the proceedings.
The league is close to making another round of game cancellations, prompting some to suggest the season was in danger.
A 58-year-old former choir teacher is facing accusations that he sexually assaulted two young boys back in the late 1970's.
Police have arrested Harvey Erlich on 2 counts of gross indecency - after two separate - alleged incidents in the city.
The first - a man says he was assaulted by Erlich when he was 11 at a synagogue on Glencairn Avenue.
The second - a man says he was assaulted at Erlich's home when he was 13-years-old.
Cops say there could be more victims.
Police in southeast B.C. have issued an Amber Alert for a three-year-old boy they believe has been abducted by his
The RCMP say they are looking for Alvin Barnet, who may be with his father, 39-year-old Robert Barnet.
The boy was abducted in the Elk Valley area near Sparwood.
Police say the pair may be travelling in a 2002 blue Subaru Outback with B.C. license 347S BL.
Alvin is wearing a red shirt and blue jeans, while his father is described as unshaven, with reddish blonde hair and a scar over his
Police say anyone seeing the pair should not approach them, but should call 911.
(The Canadian Press)
Fans are already lining up, trying to be one of the lucky ones to get into a FREE Rihanna show being held Thursday, at the Danforth Music Hall.
The singer is in the midst of a tour taking her around the world as she promotes her new album.
She held a concert last night in Mexico City and will hold her next one in Stockholm Sweden, after the Toronto show.
She made the announcement on Twitter, writing "Yo Toronto. I’ll be at The Danforth tonight. Will you?"
The venue holds 15 hundred people, but there's no word on how many people would be allowed inside.
Rihanna has a show scheduled at the Air Canada Centre in the spring.
The man accused in a home invasion and dual sex assault near Avenue Road and Lawrence is staying behind bars for awhile yet.
20 year old Alaa Hejazi booked a return date for next week though his bail hearing could be a ways off.
Outside the court, Hejazi's lawyer said they would make the call next Thursday, whether or not they would apply for bail. After that, a hearing could be held 2 weeks after that.
His lawyer suggested, the bail hearing would be in a special court because it would likely take all day.
Hejazi is facing 11 charges including two counts sexual assault with a weapon, along with charges of break and enter and threatening death.
He turned himself into Police at 12 Division overnight on Tuesday.
The alleged incidents happened on Monday morning.
*** The video may contain harsh language. Viewer discretion is advised*****
Toronto Police have charged a 50 year old man in a murder that happened on Tuesday at a building in Etobicoke.
Cops say when they showed up to the building on Kendleton Drive, they found a woman with obvious signs of trauma in the apartment.
59 year old Leah Edwards was pronounced dead at the scene.
Officials later determined, following an autopsy, that she died as a result of blunt-impact chest trauma.
A man was taken into custody at the scene.
50 year old Ian Gray is charged with one count of second degree murder.
He'll be in court on Friday morning at 10.
In what could be a make or break moment in the six million dollar defamation lawsuit against Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, the mayor himself will take the stand Friday, the second time in less than three months that he's been called on to give testimony in a court of law.
Ford left court during the morning break on the third day of proceedings at 330 University Ave. to coach his high school football team in a playoff game.
When Ford returns to court on Friday he will speak to the claims of Boardwalk Cafe owner George Foulidis that the then mayoral candidate damaged his reputation by suggesting that a deal involving the restaurant owners company and the city "smacked of civic corruption."
The comment suggesting corruption was paraphrased when it appeared in the Toronto Sun and was not a direct quote from Ford himself. He denies saying it.
A newly ...
As of Monday, elementary teachers in York Region will be in a legal strike position.
But that doesn't mean that they'll be hitting the bricks.
The November 19th date is relevant, because that's when a 'no board report' expires, putting both the teachers in a legal strike position and the school board in a legal lockout position.
That 'no board report' is issued when negotiations reach an impasse.
School Board spokesperson Licinio Miguello says they are telling parents to have their kids ready for what will essentially be a normal school day.
He says there could be teacher job action starting on Monday, but he hasn't been told what that would be.
All indications though suggest there would not be a disruption of teaching services.
Miguello says the board continues to negotiate with the Elementary Teachers Federation.
Toronto Police are looking for the man who is believed to have kicked over Canadian flags while jogging on Remembrance Day.
Cops say it allegedly went down around 2:30 on Sunday afternoon, on the grounds of the Sunnybrook hospital.
Toronto Police say the man was jogging near the Cenotaph during Remembrance Day ceremonies, when he allegedly kicked over several miniature Canadian flags that had been placed in the ground.
The suspect is described as white, 5'9"-5'11", 170-180 lbs, bald.
If you recognize the man, please call Toronto Police.
BP has agreed to pay the largest settlement in US history, after admitting guilt in the massive oil spill off the coast of Louisiana in April of 2010.
The oil giant agreed to pay 4.5 billion dollars to the US government, and they also say they will plead guilty to 11 felony counts related to worker deaths.
The Deepwater Horizon rig, 50 miles off the Louisiana coast, sank after the April 2010 explosion.
The well on the sea floor spewed an estimated 206 million gallons of crude oil, soiling sensitive tidal estuaries and beaches, killing wildlife and shutting vast areas of the Gulf to commercial fishing.
They're red and white, shiny and just waiting to hit the streets of Toronto.
The TTC unveiled its new streetcars at the Hillcrest Complex on Bathurst Street on Thursday.
They will carry 68 more people, be lower to the ground and have AC. The larger capacity means they'll be longer, which means the TTC will have to re-evaluate its routes.
TTC Chair Karen Stintz reveals some stops will have to be removed.
"Some of our current stops are actually too close together," Stintz said. "Whereby the front of the streetcar would be at one stop and the back of the streetcar would be close to another stop, which doesn't make any sense."
She can't say how many stops will be affected.
There will also be a transition period for drivers, who will have to get used to the new length and the fact there are more doors for commuters to ...
A RBC holiday outlook suggests Canadians may be a little more frugal this festive season.
The RBC Canadian Consumer Outlook found that while the majority of Canadians appear to be in a gift-giving mood, they plan on spending less over the holidays than they did last year.
The survey suggests Canadians who celebrate year-end festivities will spend $1,182 on gifts, decorations, entertaining and travel, a figure which is down six per cent from last year's anticipated amount.
The bank says this season's holiday spending plans appear to be more in line with Canadians' 2010 holiday purchasing plans. The survey suggests shoppers who plan on buying gifts are likely to shell out $629 on their purchases, down from the $640 anticipated last year.
RBC also suggests Canadians plan to cut their spending on holiday expenses other than gifts by 10 per cent from last year.
``It's clear that Canadians are conscious ...
A human rights case for the ages and it's unfolding right here in Toronto.
This is the story of Faith McGregor who went into the Terminal Barber Shop on Bay Street in June to get a men's-style haircut. The owner refused to do it.
Omar Mahrouk told her he is Muslim and his faith prohibits him from touching any woman who is not a member of his family. The other barbers said they too are Muslim.
McGregor has taken this to the Ontario Human Rights Commission claiming discrimination on the basis of gender.
The spokesman for the Commissioner Pascale Demers is quoted by the Star as saying "there's no hierarchy of rights under the legislation, so it's not about one right necessarily trumping the other. Demers believes this case could set an important precedent because as Ontario's population continues to diversify, she says "these things are bound to happen."
Canadians are being warned it will cost more to fill up their vehicles and heat their homes this winter.
The National Energy Board says the demand for all energy sources is expected to be greater than the supply in the next few months.
The N-E-B predicts the average price of regular gasoline this winter will be between $1.20 and $1.40. Currently, the national average is $1.21.
The board also points out natural gas prices sank to a 10-year low last spring, in part because last winter was unusually mild in many parts of North America.
However, it says supply and demand came into balance by the middle of this year, resulting in higher prices for natural gas. The board also says heating oil prices are expected to rise because refinery outages in the U-S have trimmed inventories.
(The Canadian Press)