Police confirm that an 11 year old girl who didn't return to her Brampton home after school on Tuesday, has been found.
That was confirmed around 3:30 Wednesday morning.
Tyshila Wilson is black, 4'11", with a light complexion. She has black braided hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing blue pants and a grey sweater, with a pink shirt, black and white shoes and a blue and black jacket.
Police are searching for a man who sexually assaulted and robbed a woman at a pizza shop.
This was on Monday near St. Clair and Bathurst.
It was after 7:30 p.m. when a man cornered the victim in a stall inside the women's washroom, attacked her and he took off afterwards.
Customers from the store and other citizens tried to chase him down, but he got away.
He is described as white, 5'8", medium build, bald and clean shaven. He was last seen wearing a black/white checkered jacket with green cargo pants.
Witnesses are asked to call Toronto's Sex Crimes Unit at 416-808-7474.
Toronto police say a 17-year-old girl was allegedly sexually assaulted twice by the same man in the city's subway system.
Police say the girl was approached on Oct. 30 and sexually assaulted while riding on the Bloor line.
Investigators say the same victim was targeted again on the evening of Nov. 6, again on the Bloor line.
And on Nov. 12, the girl was allegedly approached again by the same suspect at Jane station, but was able to escape.
The man is described as being 45 to 50 years old, with an olive complexion, muscular build and short grey hair.
An overwhelming majority of Ontario's school support workers have voted in favour of strike action, backing their union's demand for negotiated contracts.
The 55,000 workers represented by CUPE Ontario were part of the government's Bill 115 that imposed contracts at the beginning of the school year.
But CUPE Ontario's Fred Hahn says so far all the attention has been on teachers.
He says the support workers are the backbone of schools and the union wants to make the importance of their work clear to the government.
Hahn says the workers don't want to go on strike. The vote was held to send a message to the government - that the union wants to get back to the bargaining table with local school boards.
Hahn says support workers have been ignored because of the attention on teachers.
The workers include janitors, secretaries, education assistants and lunchroom supervisors.
Premier Dalton McGuinty says his government has approved two agreements between high school teachers and their local school boards.
But there are many more to go.
About 35,000 high school teachers and education workers are continuing their strike action in 28 school boards across the province.
The job action has stopped at five school boards who have reached tentative agreements with their teachers.
Two of those deals York Region School Board and Upper Grand School Board have received the government's blessing.
McGuinty says those agreements will serve as a beacon for other school boards and teachers to reach deals, despite his demand for a two-year wage freeze.
5 other tentative deals are being reviewed by the education minister.
The deals are believed to fit into the framework of other agreements which include a two year wage freeze and an end to banked sick days.
(The Canadian Press)
Kraft Canada is cancelling its Hockeyville program this year due to the NHL lockout.
The company is going to instead give $1 million to Hockey Canada affiliated minor hockey associations.
Kraft's Hockeyville program is an annual competition that rewards Canadian communities for their involvement in their local arenas.
Stirling-Rawdon, Ont., was this year's winner and was to host a pre-season game before the lockout. That game has been postponed to the 2013-14 season.
Under the new program, Kraft will recognize the top five volunteers and award their hockey associations with $100,000, while
20 other volunteers will win $20,000 for their associations.
Kraft will also give $100,000 to Hockey Canada for learn-to-skate programs.
(with files from Canadian Press)
The City of Toronto has unveiled its snow clearing plan for this Winter. Chair of the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee, Councillor Denzil Minnan -Wong made the announcement Tuesday at the Eastern Avenue Works yard.
"We have a fleet of 600 snow plows, 300 sidewalk plows and 200 salt trucks that will keep the roads and sidewalks clear and safe again this year."
The city actually saved money because of the mild temperatures and lack of snow last year. Barring any major storms before the New Year, the city will have saved between $13 and $14-million.
When the snow does fall, salt trucks will be sent out to all of the expressways and main roads before heading to the local roads. If 2.5 centimeters of snow falls on the ground, plows will be sent out to the expressways. When the snow reaches 5 centimeters, the plows go to the main ...
Kevin Clash will not be coming back to Sesame Street as the voice behind Elmo.
TMZ is reporting another person has come forward with allegations of an inappropriate sexual relationship with the puppeteer.
TMZ says the man is now in his 30's, filed a lawsuit against Clash, claiming the two met on a gay phone chat line in 1993. At that time the accuser would have been 15 years old and Clash was 32.
After the first man came forward, Clash stepped aside but when those allegations were recanted and Clash was expected to rejoin Sesame Street.
Officially, Sesame Workshop said the following in a statement:
"Sesame Workshop’s mission is to harness the educational power of media to help all children the world over reach their highest potential. Kevin Clash has helped us achieve that mission for 28 years, and none of us, especially Kevin, want anything to divert ...
Closing arguments wrapped up today in a $6 million defamation lawsuit against the mayor.
Beaches restaurant owner George Foulidis claims Rob Ford tarnished his reputation during the mayoral campaign two years ago after comments made to the Toronto Sun about Foulidis's lease being extended without considering any other establishments for the location. Ford maintains he was calling all closed door deals like this were corrupt and never named Foulidis by name.
The morning session today didn't last long - about five minutes - with Rob Ford's lawyer deciding not to introduce new evidence from city council documents. Gavin Tighe was one of a few people in the room including the judge, a handful of court staff and four people in the public gallery.
Outside, a lone protestor stood denouncing the beaches restaurant deal, as he has been for all six days of the proceedings.
Beaches resident Leroy St. Germaine was ...
John Gibbons is returning to the Toronto Blue Jays dugout.
The Jays have named Gibbons the team's new manager, bringing him back to the club after firing him in 2008.
He succeeds John Farrell, who left Toronto to manage the Boston Red Sox.
Gibbons became manager of the Blue Jays in 2004 when then-general manager J.P. Ricciardi fired Carlos Tosca.
Gibbons went on to a 20-30 record that season.
Gibbons was fired as Toronto's manager on June 20, 2008.
He was replaced by former Jays manager Cito Gaston, who had led the team to World Series championships in 1992 and 1993.
Gibbons had a 305-305 record in his first stint with Toronto.
(The Canadian Press)
York Regional Police are looking for as many as four suspects wanted in connection with a possible home invasion on Treelawn Blvd in the Highway 27 and Islington Ave. area.
Police say shortly before 4:30 a.m., Tuesday, the armed suspects confronted the victim in the driveway of his home as he was preparing to leave for work.
The victim suffered a head injury in the confrontation and was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Police say he has been transfered to a trauma centre as a precaution.
Police have brought in the canine unit to help search for the suspects.
It's still two years out and very hypothetical, but Forum Research did some robo-polling for the Star on the weekend about the next mayoral race.
It found that NDP MP Olivia Chow would narrowly defeat Mayor Rob Ford for mayor and Councillor Adam Vaughan would run a distant third. 40 percent of those asked would vote for Chow, 35 percent chose Rob Ford, 13 percent would throw their support behind Vaughan and 12 percent didn't know who they would vote for.
The last time Forum asked this question was in June and since then Chow has gained momentum. Pollster Lorne Bozinoff says Chow does well in the old city of Toronto but she also does well in the suburbs. It was only in North York that the Rob Ford got very strong support.
Chow has not ruled out a run for mayor, nor has Adam Vaughan but both have been ...
Startling results from a study of children who attend daycare in Quebec or who are being watched by extended family while parents are at work.
Kids who go to daycare were 65 percent more likely to be overweight between the ages of 4 and 10, compared with those who stayed at home with a parent.
Kids cared for by an extended family member, such as a grandmother were 50 percent more likely to be overweight.
Those kids who were in home daycare or were cared for by a nanny, were not overweight.
The study is out of the University of Montreal and 1,649 families with children born between October 1997 and July 1998 were included. The body mass index of the children was tracked until they were 10 years old.
(some files by D. Agar)
More negative talk about the possibility of having a casino in Toronto.
Councillor Joe Mihevc introduced a motion that the OLG shouldn't be invited to expand gambling in Toronto and the city's Board of Health agreed.
Members voted 9 to 1 in favour of the motion and rejected the idea of a casino complex, mainly because it would lead to a rise in problem gambling and addiction.
Councillor Mihevc cited a report by the medical officer health, Dr. David McKeown, that stated a gambling facility would present far too many health risks to the GTA.
That report makes suggestsions in the event that we do get a casino such as not allowing ATM's on the gambling floor, slowing down the speed of play on slot machines, and not serving alcohol. There were ten recommendations altogether, but the Canadian Gaming Association thinks they are misguided and could even be counter-productive.