Toronto's top cop managed to squeeze another $2.3 million out of his 2013 budget.
However, at roughly $950 million dollars, it's still over $19 million more than the all-out budget freeze being requested by City Hall.
Police Chief Bill Blair says his revised budget is as lean as it can get, adding that he expects to employ just over 5,320 officers in 2013, working out to 80 fewer than the current roster of 5,400.
Blair says the budget will see Toronto Police in a hiring freeze for 2 straight years.
"(We) were asked not to hire in 2013 so we put off the April class (of new recruits) and that will take us down a significant number of police officers but the end of the summer but it is what we need to do to meet the budget."
Blair says there is no way he can cut more from the ...
Police are investigating after an elderly woman was struck and killed by a car on a quiet residential street in the north end.
EMS officials got the call for help just after 3:00pm.
A woman, believed to be in her 70's, had been hit by a car while walking near Fairlawn Avenue and Elm Road (near Avenue Road & Lawrence Avenue).
Reports say she had been pinned under the vehicle before emergency crews freed her.
The woman had serious injuries and was pronounced dead on the scene.
Investigators questioned the driver of the vehicle, who remained close by after the crash.
Toronto Police have not released the name of the victim.
Crash investigators were on the scene late into the evening.
Parents remember this date: December 10th.That's next Monday and when the province's secondary teachers are planning their next round of strike action.
What was a suggestion before is now mandatory, as Ontario Secondary School Teacher's Federation president Ken Coran says teachers will not be involved in extra curriculars at all. He says union members have been told not to come in more than 15 minutes early and are expected to leave when the final bell rings.
As for field trips, he says only the ones related to school curriculum will go forward.
Coran says this seven-day buffer will give teachers time to explain what's happening to students.
Secondary teachers will also get the opportunity to vote on a day of political protest. However, Coran says they are not considering rotating strike days right now.
He repeated teachers would be willing to accept a two-year wage freeze if Bill 115 - ...
A man who nearly decapitated his wife because she was considering a divorce, will spend life in prison.
53 year old Peer Khairi will not have a chance at parole for 15 years.
The life sentence was automatic after he was convicrted of second degree murder.
Khairi slit his wife's throat, and stabbed her several times inside their Etobicoke home in 2008.
The Defence has already said it will appeal the sentence.
It's not a guarantee that Ford will stay in office until we know the outcome of his appeal, but it tips the odds in his favour.
Lawyer Clayton Ruby, on behalf of his client, Paul Magder, has consented to a stay of the order to remove Rob Ford from office pending the outcome of his appeal.
What Ruby has done, has essentially removed opposition for when this stay request is made on Wednesday.
With no opposition, it’s a good chance now, that the stay will be granted.
Ruby said in a release: "We are agreeing to this stay to give the city of Toronto a measure of stability, something that has been wholly absent during Mr. Ford's term in office."
However, Ruby did say that on behalf of his client, the opposition to the appeal will still proceed.
So two dates to keep in mind moving forward. Wednesday, for the ...
The impaired driving case against Ana Bailao made its way to a court room at Old City Hall on Monday morning.
However, the Ward 18 Davenport councillor did not make an appearance.
Her lawyer, Peter Thorning, was there to make a quick cameo in front of the judge.
He asked for the case to be moved to December 17, to allow him more time to look over the evidence against Bailao.
The judge agreed.
Bailao was arrested in the early hours of October 17 after attending the Mayor's Ball for the Arts.
Reports in the Toronto Star say after attending the party, Bailao joined councillor Mark Grimes and two lobbyists employed by casino-builder MGM in the lounge of the Thompson Hotel.
It was after leaving the hotel that Bailao was stopped by police and charged with impaired driving and driving with a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit.
Bailao plans ...
The President of the Toronto Police Association, Mike McCormack says he wasn't threatening to go to court in a budget fight with the city, but all options are on the table.
The Globe and Mail said McCormack was 'ratcheting up the tension' between the police and the city.
But McCormack, who was a guest of Jerry Agar on Newstalk1010, called the courts "a remedy they would have, if officer and public safety was jeopardized".
McCormack says they are currently looking for efficiencies in their core police services, in hopes of finding areas where cuts can be made, without affecting service.
When asked if you could compare Toronto to other large cities in North America, he says you can't really compare.
He says Chicago would be close, but they have 15 thousand officers, which gives a much greater police per population ratio.
Back in August, Police Chief Bill Blair tabled a ...
Nine private clinics have not recieved the College of Physicans and Surgeons of Ontario stamp of approval.
A report released today outlines these clinics that failed the inspections have been prevented to preform proceedures that would put patients at risk.
However, it doesn't reveal what they are or even what clinics have been given the thumbs down.
This is all due to regulations that restrict the College of indentifying anything specific like location or even if these clinics are still open after the inspection. President and Chair Dr. Bob Byrick says they are pushing to have these regulations changed so they can give the public more information.
Ontario Health Minister Deb Matthews says the province is committed to following through on those rule changes.
"The CPSO, in partnership with the government, is going to make sure that we are as transparent as we possibly can be," she says.
Out of ...
The province isn't standing down when it comes to Ontario's public elementary and high school teachers. Both are in the process of planning their next move when it comes to strike action over the teachers contract framework legislation imposed upon them in September.
This all comes as the Education Minister targets union heads as the ones who do not want to get local contracts in place, not the teachers.
Laurel Broten used a more aggressive tone when talking about the potential strike action. She tells unions if they want a fight, they need to have it in court and not take it out on the province's kids.
When asked if this is a final warning to teachers, Broten underlined there are no 72 hour strike notices in place, so she'll continue to monitor what's happening.
The province can impose local contracts to prevent strike action. The minister can also make ...
It's being hailed as one of the largest seizures in Toronto Police history.
More than $3-million worth of counterfeit goods and cash was seized last Thursday as part of Project Consumer Safety.
At a news conference held on Monday morning, police showed off some of the fake goods that were seized. Among the goods were counterfeit drugs, toys, electrical equipment, designer clothing, makeup and money.
Ten sites in the Greater Toronto Area including a unit at Pacific Mall were raided in the joint effort that included Peel Regional Police, York Regional Police and the RCMP.
Eleven people are now facing more than 40 charges.
Ontario high school teachers are expected to reveal their next steps Monday in an escalating labour battle with the governing Liberals.
The union representing the teachers cut off talks last week after teachers rejected local agreements with two school boards. Ratification votes for any other tentative agreements have been suspended until further notice.
The Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation is hunkering down for a meeting today to hammer out its next course of action.
The union is responding to a controversial anti-strike law that it says has hamstrung its efforts to reach fair agreements with local school boards by putting major restrictions in the way.
It was revealed Sunday that the federation scrapped its tentative agreement with the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board and that teachers would begin administrative action on Monday. Teachers are being told not to attend meetings, administer
standardized tests or meet with parents after school.
In a ...
The economy may be far from booming, but many Canadians are still expecting to get a bonus from their employer this year.
A poll conducted for the Bank of Montreal suggests that one quarter of working Canadians expect a year-end bonus. Of those anticipating the extra money, 86 per cent believe it will be the same amount or more than last year.
The Pollara online survey results follow widespread reports that many corporations are sitting on piles of cash, despite the difficult economic conditions.
The poll indicates that half of those expecting a bonus plan to use it to boost their savings or pay down debt.
The next most popular way to spend it is on holiday shopping.
(The Canadian Press)
Some mixed messages might be to blame for Santa not getting a letter from a brother and sister in Whitby, Ontario.
Tyler and Hailey McCormack have been writing letters to Santa for years, but this year a Canada Post worker told them, the letter had to have postage in order for him to take it.
Their mother called a different post office, and was told the exact opposite, no stamps are needed to get in touch with the big, jolly man up north.
Canada Post head office said, the stamp requirement was a new policy, but letters without postage would still be mailed. They say it was an 'honest mistake' on behalf of the worker.
Some 11-thousand current and retired postal workers volunteer as Santa’s helpers each Christmas to ensure all letters receive a response. The difference is, if you want a reply, you must enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope. ...
Want to have a chat with the Pope? Just get online.
With the assistance of the Vatican, Pope Benedict will launch his own Twitter account on Monday, but only after a formal announcement is made at a press conference with Catholic and Twitter officials.
No word on what the 85 year old's Twitter-handle will be just yet.
According to the Vatican, the Pope will send through the first tweet by himself, but afterwards, he will tell an official what his message will be and they will tweet it for him.
Other religious leaders who already have popular Twitter accounts include the Dalai Lama, Rick Warren and Joe Osteen, to name a few.
After 3 weeks out of the host chair, Mayor Rob Ford returned to Newstalk 1010's studios Sunday for Newstalk 1010's The City.
Ford wasted no time diving into his legal woes, saying "where do we begin, where do we begin?"
Earlier this week, Ford was found guilty of conflict of interest for voting on whether or not he should repay donations solicited for his football foundation on city letterhead.
On The City, Ford thanked his supporters, saying "it's been overwhelming at times" & it "gets a little emotional".
Now, the mayor says "we just have to carry on, and wait 'til the appeal and see what happens".
Rob Ford will formally ask for a stay of the Justice Charles Hackland's decision to remove him from office on Wednesday. His appeal will be heard January 7th.
If he loses that appeal, Ford's hoping for a byelection rather than have council choose ...