Canada Day Weekend Rundown - Events & Closures
Canada celebrates it's 145th birthday this long weekend and if you're not heading away to a cottage retreat, there is plenty to do in Toronto.
Toronto Ribfest at Centennial Park
Scotiabank CHIN Picnic at the Ex
Canada Day is on Sunday and as usual, Mel Lastman Square will be buzzing with activity. Performances are lined up all day long and the fireworks display will take place at 10:15 p.m.
Other fireworks displays will be taking place at:
-Ashbridges Bay Park- 9:45 p.m.
- Milliken Park- at dusk
- Stan Wadlow Park- 10:15 p.m.
- Amesbury Park- 10 p.m.
- Centennial Park in Etobicoke- 10 p.m.
- Weston Lions Park- at dusk
- Canada's Wonderland- 10 p.m.
The Canada Day party at Queen's Park will have Queen's Park Circle from College Street to Hoskin Avenue closed on Sunday July 1 from 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
In Scarborough, the Canada Day parade will close Brimley from Progress Ave. to Ellesmere from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Ellesmere Road to Lawrence Avenue from 3 to 8 p.m, and Ellesmere Road will be closed from Midland Avenue to McCowan Road from 4 to 5 p.m.
This is also Pride weekend in Toronto so you can expect a series of closures for events. Church Street closed from Carlton Street to Hayden Street until Monday.
On Sunday, the Pride Parade closes a series of roads.
Formation area: Rosedale Valley Road, from Bayview Avenue to Park Road.
Parade route: Starts at Church Street and Bloor Street East, west on Bloor Street East to Yonge Street, south on Yonge Street to Gerrard Street, and east on Gerrard Street back to Church Street. Roads will be closed for varying periods between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. (the parade is from 2 to 6 p.m.).
What's Open and Closed on Monday:
- All government offices, post offices, banks, LCBO and beer stores and most grocery stories are closed.
- Some malls will be open: The Eaton Centre, Pacific Mall, Square One, Bramalea Civic Centre and Vaughan Mills will be open for business.
- City of Toronto outdoor pools are open
- TTC will operate on a holiday schedule and GO Transit will be on a Saturday schedule.