Accused in Yonge & Gould arson case facing 29 new charges
The man accused of setting the six-alarm blaze at Yonge and Gould last year is facing 29 new charges.
53-year-old Stewart Poirier appeared in court Tuesday wearing an orange jumpsuit from the Toronto West Detention Centre. He slouched his head to the side, or dropped it forward, as he constantly pursed his lips.
Crown attorney Rita Maxwell introduced the new charges against Poirier, including several arson charges, mischief, threatening bodily harm and carrying a concealed weapon.
Poirier is now facing charges related to a total of 13 arsons.
He will be back in court next Tuesday, when his lawyer says he will try to get him released on bail.
Lawyer Dana Garrick says, though, that he has not yet found someone who would act as a surety for Poirier.
Garrick says that Poirier "has issues," but no major mental illness.