UPDATE: Homes evacuated in Markham
A number of homes in Markham have been evacuated in the area of Main Street and 16th avenue.
Markham Fire officials say they were called for a fire on Claxton Rd at about 6 a.m. Saturday. When crews arrived on scene, officials say they heard small explosions and noticed fire around a pool heater.
Fire officials say there was an underground gas leak in the line feeding that heater, but the leak has been capped.
Enbridge has been called to the scene to check things out.
Transit buses have been called in to hold the evacuated residents.
Police say that no injuries have been reported.