Update: Calls for Quick Action After Carbon Monoxide Scare
A recent carbon monoxide scare has a man pushing for mandatory detectors in virtually all Ontario homes calling for quick action from the Ontario government.
Last Tuesday, a Toronto daycare was evacuated after carbon monoxide detectors went off after detecting a leak. John Gignac says 4 children and 1 teacher were taken to hospital but are now fine, something that could have been worse without the alarms.
"That's such a godsend that they put those CO alarms in and nobody died," he says.
Gignac's niece, OPP officer Laurie Hawkins was killed by carbon monoxide in her Woodstock home in 2008 along with her husband and two children. He's been crusading since her death in support of a private members bill from MPP Ernie Hardeman.
The bill calls for mandatory carbon monoxide alarms in all Ontario homes that have a fuel burning appliance (furnace, natural gas fireplace, gas stove, hot water heater) or an attached garage.
Hardeman has failed twice to get his bill passed, but it's now made it to a third reading. All that's left now is for the Liberals to call a vote.
Gignac, a former fire fighter, says he's frustrated by the government inaction and people could die from carbon monoxide poisoning if the bill is not passed.
"It's such an easy thing to do. Just pass the law, make sure that everyone in Ontario that has a carbon monoxide burning appliance to put a CO alarm in their home."
Gignac says it's especially important as we all crank the heat when the temperature drops.
"A lot of the times (people) don't have those appliances checked. A lot of times there could be a blocked vent or something like that. It's now going to become prevalent because you need that heat for the heating season and it's going to put the carbon monoxide back into your homes."