Carbon Monoxide Detector Bills Dies With Prorogation
A bill that wants to make having a carbon monoxide detector a requirement in Ontario has died - along with over 100 others - now that the legislature has been prorogued.
The Progressive Conservative private members bill has been introduced three times.
It's been dubbed the Hawkins- Gignac Act, named after OPP constable Laurie Hawkins, her husband Richard and their two children died in their Woodstock home in 2008 because of carbon monoxide poisoning. The exhaust in their gas fireplace was blocked.
Laurie's uncle John Gignac says he's angry and disappointed the bill was stalled again, this time not even making it to third reading.
Gignac says because the gas is odourless and has no taste, it presents a danger to anyone who is around a leak. He says the longer the bill is shelved the more people are dying because of it.
He underlines hospitals are filling up with people who have become sick due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Gignac says he can't believe the bill is taking years to pass, underlining he thought it was a no-brainer since it saves lives.