BREAKING: Charges Laid in Danzig Street Murders
Police have made an arrest in the Danzig Street murders.
Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair and the head of the Homicide Squad, Staff Inspector Greg McLane were on hand to provide more details at a news conference on Thursday morning.
It was back on July 16th, where an outdoor barbeque went wrong outside the public housing complex in the Lawrence Ave. E. and Morningside Ave. area.
14-year-old Shyanne Charles and 23-year-old Joshua Yasay were killed when shots rang out behind the townhouse at 105 Danzing sending more than 100 people attending the barbeque fleeing for their lives.
23 others including a toddler were injured in the shooting that police later said was a shootout between rival gangs in the area.
Chief Blair called it the worst mass shooting in the city.
Shaquan 'Bam Bam' Mesquito, 18, who was one of two people charged earlier in the investigation is now facing 27 charges in connection with the shootings. He was initially charged with an assortment of firearms related offences, as well as uttering threats prior to the shooting.
He has now been charged with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 23 counts of aggravated assault, one count of attempted murder and one count of reckless discharge of a firearm in public. He made a brief court appearance on Wednesday afternoon and will be back in court on December 12th.
18-year-old Nahom Tsegazab, one of the injured was the first to be arrested in connection to the incident. He was hospitalized and then charged two days later with reckless discharge of a firearm.
Police have linked the shootings on Danzig Street to a power struggle within the Galloway Boys as well as a turf war with the Malvern Crew. They say the group has been linked to at least five other shootings in the past year.
Police allege that a member of the Malvern Crew showed up at the barbeque and wasn't allowed access by the Galloway Boys. Police say that individual left and called some of his associates from the Malvern Crew. Police say the group showed up a short time later with the intent of seeking revenge on the Galloway Boys for turning one of their own away.
Police say the confrontation became very violent.
Police have released composite sketches of two men they are calling persons of interests. Police say the two men were seen at the scene but are trying to figure out if they are involved in the shooting or if they are witnesses.
The two are described as male, black and are said to be in their 20's. One is said to have a scar under his left eye.
Anyone who recognizes the two or has information to call them.