Santa Claus Parade takes place today
The forecast calls for a mild, sunny afternoon for Toronto's 108th annual Santa Claus Parade.
Bloor Street, University Avenue and Front Street will be lined with people craning their necks to get a look as 30 floats, 20 bands and hundreds of dancers, clowns and other performers make their way through the downtown core.
Toronto Police expect roughly 500,000 people will be out to take in the event.
The parade starts at 12:30pm at Christie Pits and will end near the St. Lawrence Market.
Road closures for the parade:
- 8 a.m., Bloor Street West, from Ossington Avenue to Christie Street
- 10 a.m., Bloor Street West, from Christie Street to Bathurst Street
- 11 a.m., Bloor Street West, from Bathurst Street to Bay Street
- 11 a.m., Avenue Road/Queen’s Park, from Davenport Road to College Street
- 11:30 a.m., University Avenue, from College Street to Dundas Street
- noon, University Avenue, from Dundas Street to Front Street
- 1 p.m., Wellington Street, from University Avenue to Jarvis Street
- 1:15 p.m., Front Street, from Bay Street to Jarvis Street
The towing of vehicles parked along the parade route will start at 6 a.m. on Sunday, November 18, 2012.
The parade will follow this route:
Start: Bloor Street West and Christie Street
Eastbound on Bloor Street West
Southbound on Queen’s Park Crescent East
Southbound on University Avenue
Eastbound on Wellington Street West
Eastbound on Front Street East
Finish: Front Street East & Jarvis Street
Special GO Train service will be available on Sunday to and from Union Station, with fares being offered at a discounted price.