Ontario doctors OK deal with province
Ontario doctors have endorsed a new deal with the province.
The Ontario Medical Association says the agreement was accepted by 81% of the nearly 21,000 doctors who voted.
The OMA says the deal, worth $11.1-billion/year, will trim spending by $400-million through a half a % payment cut for all doctors while "modernizing"how services are delivered.
But Health Minister Deb Matthews has said total payments to physicians will rise by $100-million as new doctors are brought on, an increase that will be offset by cost savings.
The changes to services include shortening the length of time of annual physicals & the number of tests done on healthy adult patients.
The OMA says the agreement, effective from last Oct. 1 until March 31, 2014, will pump new money into house calls to seniors and high-need patients.
It also says the deal announced Sunday will let patients speak to doctors more easily through ``e-consultations.''
A tentative agreement was reached last month after the 2 sides returned to the bargaining table following a dispute this year over regulatory changes to cut Ontario Health Insurance Plan fees & premiums.
(The Canadian Press)