posts found for
June 04, 2012
Click here to view recent posts
The province's Special Investigations Unit is probing an incident in Scarborough Monday afternoon.
According to the SIU, cops were called around 2:15 today to a building on Adanac Drive.
They claim, as an officer opened the door for the 15th floor stairwell, a man went through a window and fell.
He's been pronounced dead but there's no word on his age or identification yet.
The SIU is generally called in when there's been death or serious injury and the police are involved.
The teenage boy, who was allegedly behind the wheel of a van that rolled, killing Constable Garret Styles last June, made his first court appearance on Monday.
Because of the boy's age, he can't be named, and details of what happened in court, are covered under a publication ban.
It was back in June of last year, during what started as a 'routine' traffic stop on Highway 48, north of Toronto, that things went horribly wrong.
The van sped away, and dragged Constable Styles for a distance before rolling in a ditch, crushing the York Regional Police officer.
Along with the boy, three other people were in the van.
The boy has been confined to a wheelchair and is a quadriplegic.
A judge will determine whether the case will go to trial.
The suspect wanted in the murder and dismemberment of a Chinese foreign student in Montreal has been arrested in Berlin.
Berlin police have confirmed to NewsTalk 1010 that they arrested Canadian fugitive Luka Magnotta at around 2 p.m. German time, Monday - 8 a.m Toronto time.
Berlin Police spokesperson Stefan Redlich reveals the 29-year-old was arrested in an Internet cafe after a tipster called police.
Redlich says Magnotta didn't put up a fight when arrested and was a alone at the time.
Police can't say if he was using an alias or was heavily disguised. They say he will be appearing in court tomorrow but will stay in jail overnight. They will be contacting the German national police who will in turn be calling Canadian authorities.
They will also contact the Canadian embassy in Berlin because they are arresting a Canadian resident.
French authorities said they were investigating the theory ...
Toronto police have charged 23-year-old Christopher Husbands on one count of first degree murder, and six counts of attempted murder after the shooting at Eaton Centre.
Police say the accused is known to them, and was on house arrest for a separate incident at the time. Det. Sgt. Brian Borg of the Toronto Police Homicide Squad maintains it appears to be a targeted shooting and this was not a gang-motivated homicide. However, underlines the suspect and two of the victims - 24-year-old Ahmed Hassan who died and the man in critical condition - were part of the same gang.
Husbands turned himself in early Monday morning.
Police say that the 13-year-old boy who received critical wounds to the head in the shooting, is said to be now in stable condition, although his injuries are still being described as serious.
Detective Borg also addressed questions relating to whether this suspect had ...
Conrad Black's lawyers have filed a motion asking to have his remaining convictions dismissed on the basis that the prosecutors engaged in deception, violating his right to an attorney.
The request centres around law enforcement's seizure of proceeds from the sale of his New York apartment.
Black's lawyers argue that prosecutors deceived the court to obtain two warrants to seize the assets by concealing information that would have undermined their case for seizing the money.
The former media baron sold the Manhattan dwelling for $9 million, with the intent of paying for counsel to defend him against allegations of improper conduct at Hollinger International.
In documents filed with the court in Chicago, lawyers accuse the prosecutors of manufacturing criminal wrongdoing regarding Black's ownership of the apartment in obtaining the warrants.
Because the $9 million from the sale wasn't available to Black his laywers aruge that denied him his right to ...
The Progressive Conservatives are questioning why Ontario's chief coroner hasn't conducted any inquests into 26 patient deaths involving Ornge.
Details surrounding the deaths were contained in confidential documents intended for cabinet that were released by the Tories last Friday.
The Health Ministry investigated the deaths while probing 145 incidents involving the troubled air ambulance service since 2007.
Chief coroner Andrew McCallum said Friday there were no completed cases where air ambulance transportation materially affected the course of the patient's illness or injury.
But Klees says it's odd that McCallum hasn't called an inquest, given the number of deaths and the circumstances surrounding some of the cases.
Thousands of flag-waving fans have gathered at Buckingham Palace to watch music royalty celebrate the 60-year reign of Queen Elizabeth.
But her husband, Prince Philip, will have to miss the concert after he was taken to hospital today with a bladder infection.
Sir Paul McCartney, who is scheduled to close the concert, says he wishes the prince a ``speedy recovery.''
Prime Minister Stephen Harper will be there.
Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment like the job Toronto Marlie Head Coach Dallas Eakins is doing.
And so, they're rewarding the former NHL'er turned coach with a three-year contract extension.
The AHL club is in the middle of the Calder Cup finals against the Norfolk Admirals.
Eakins name has come up frequently as a replacement on the NHL level, but he says he isn't concerned with that right now.
Since taking over the bench for the Marlies in 2009, the club has compiled a record of 104-91-31.
The family of the 13-year-old boy shot at the Eaton Centre Saturday evening have released a statement thanking the public for their concern.
The boy was one of 7 shooting victims that evening. He was allegedly shot in the head, and rushed to hospital in critical condition. Police have upgraded his condition to serious but stable.
The family says:
"We want to extend our deepest appreciation and gratitude for the public’s concern and well wishes. EMS and the medical team at SickKids acted quickly to save the boy’s life. After complicated neurosurgery, we are happy to say that he is doing well, all things considered; he is alert and talking. It will be a long healing process, but we are optimistic that he will recover. We thank you for your support and we also ask for our privacy at this time.”
There is no timeline for his recovery, or what, ...
The Weather Network has released its summer forecast for 2012.
And it looks as if we can expect a normal summer temperature-wise, but a little wetter than we are accustomed to.
The meteorologists with the Weather Network predict that we will get more rain this summer, particularly if you live close to Lake Ontario, or the St. Lawrence River.
June 1st marked the beginning of the Atlantic Hurricane season. It's expected to be a little more active than usual, thanks to above normal water temperatures.
An arrest has been made in Saturday's shocking and brazen shooting at the Toronto Eaton Centre.
Reports say the suspect surrendered to police at 52 division around 2:30 a.m., but Toronto police won't confirm that, only saying someone has been arrested and that they won't provide further details until they hold a news conference at 2 p.m. on Monday.
Police and local authorities have reassured the public that Toronto remains a safe city despite the shooting.
Police confirmed that Saturday's shooting that killed one and injured seven others, was a targeted act. Investigators said the man who was killed was identified as 24 year old Ahmed Hassan of Toronto and was known to police. Det. Sgt. Brian Borg did say that at least one of the victims did have known gang ties.
Seven people suffered either gunshot wounds or injuries in the stampede. The most seriously wounded is ...
Toronto Police are investigating a shooting in Etobicoke early Monday morning.
Police were called to an apartment building at 15 Eva Rd, near the 427 and Bloor St. W. shortly after 5 a.m.
They say several shots were fired into a ground floor unit but no one was injured.
Police believe the suspects were looking for someone who was a former resident of the unit.
Police say shell casings were found at the scene.
A description of the suspects has not yet been released.
The suspect in the gruesome killing and dismemberment of a Chinese university student in Montreal has been spotted in France.
French authorities have confirmed that Luka Rocco Magnotta was in the country as recently as Friday. French media report some of Magnotta's belongings, including pornographic magazines, were found in a Paris hotel, and that police have been trying to track his movements through his cellphone activity.
French authorities are staking out Paris transit hubs in hopes of nabbing the man the international press has dubbed the ``Canadian psycho.'' But Montreal police say it's possible the 29-year old porn actor may have already left France, and could even try to return to Canada.
Magnotta was captured on surveillance tape, provided by Interpol. It shows who authorities believe is Luka Rocco Magnotta at a security checkpoint area.
Magnotta is wanted in the slaying of 33-year old Jun Lin, whose torso was found ...
Police are investigating a multiple stabbing near Trinity Bellwoods Park.
A man in his 30's was in a fight with a group of people in the Stafford Street and Richmond Street area. That fight then moved eastbound on Richmond and over to Walnut Avenue, where the stabbing took place.
The call came in around 8:45.
Police say the victim has serious, but non-life threatening injuries.
No arrests have been made.