DAVE AGAR

News and Views, Tues Jan 28, 2015

Posted By: Dave Agar · 1/28/2015 8:14:00 AM

Did you know you it's dangerous to throw the new light bulbs in the garbage?

Compact fluorescent light bulbs or CFLs contain mercury vapour. Mercury can have toxic effects on your nervous system, your digestive system, your immune system, your lungs, kidneys, skin, eyes.   That's the reason they tell you if you break a bulb, immediately get everyone out of the room, open the windows, shutdown the ventilation system so the fumes don't go through the building.  

The Recycling Council of Ontario has told CTV's Paul Bliss that more than 7-million of those curly light bulbs and about 9-million fluorescent tubes, which have been around forever, have been thrown out instead of taken to recycling depots. They're all just sitting in landfills, risking that the mercury will eventually leach.

I must say governments and corporations have done a lousy job of telling us that these products must be recycled. ...

RSS