Province to ask Labour Relations Board to stop teachers' protest

Lawyers for the Ontario Government go to the Ontario Labour Relations Board at University and Dundas Thursday afternoon, with the goal of trying to headoff Friday's planned one-day protest by the Elementary Teachers Federation.

The Ministry of Education will also ask for a cease and desist order against the Ontario Secondary School Teachers Federation which is planning a day of protest, province-wide, next Wednesday.

While the unions are calling this a day of protest, the government view is these would constitute illegal strike action because new contracts were put in place by Queen's Park a week ago and it's a violation of the Labour Relations Act to strike or lockout while a contract is in effect.

Many public school boards in Ontario (including all of the public boards in the Greater Toronto Area) have said the elementary schools would be closed to students on Friday if the teachers don't show, but any teacher who opts to come into work would be paid and would do things such as test marking and catching up on paperwork.

NewsTalk 1010 has learned that Friday's protest will be for a two hour period. OSSTF president Ken Coran says he has been in touch with ETFO president Sam Hammond and has been informed that teachers will be gather in their schools in the morning and walkout for approximately two to three hours.

Coran won't say exactly what his members are planning to do next week only saying that he'll wait to see what the OLRB's decision is before going ahead.

Should the protest be deemed illegal by the Labour Relations Board, any teacher who takes part would be subject to a fine of $2,000 per day. The union would face a fine of $25,000.

(Files by D. Agar)

1. Robert posted on 01/10/2013 06:34 AM
    The ETFO is pushing their luck. I have many friends who are teachers and they are fed up. My sister in law got the $500 fine for not picketing during their last day of action even though she could not picket as she could not find anyone to take care of her elementary school aged children that day, even though it would have been illegal to take the kids to the picket line.
    Why can't the ETFO and the teachers who do support them just realize that while it may not be the deal they ideally wanted, they have a pretty good deal in many ways and move on.
    The ETFO keeps going on about their rights to strike, but they don't realize it is a union privilege. At my place of work, we are non union, and if I were to go out on strike and picket, I would not have a job to go back to. To go on strike they suggest, and still keep your job is a privilege/benefit that only unions get.
    In many ways, the unions in North America have too much power over not only their members, but the corporations where their members work.
    1. Deb posted on 01/10/2013 09:41 PM
      @Robert It's sad when individuals like yourself Robert make up a story to post... Many teachers brought children with them to protest in December.... and if the board where I am a support worker (and yes this bill effects me) not one teacher was fined...

As an aside... I really wish someone would ask Mr McGuinty if his wife accepted her "sick pay out" when she retired...
    2. Shawn posted on 01/10/2013 10:01 PM
      @Deb Oh I'm ure she did Deb. she's a greedy teacher married to a greedy politician. BTW....it's affects not effects. Get one of the teachers to teach you the difference,
  2. Seymour Butz posted on 01/10/2013 06:43 AM
    If this is a "political protest" and not a strike then why are they staging during school hours? Of course it's a strike. An illegal one. If you're not happy, quit. Simple as that. And if you're not happy. With your union then LET THEM KNOW! Right to work legislation can't come soon enough to Ontario. Unions are no longer needed here.
  3. Ken posted on 01/10/2013 09:02 AM
    No one is forced to "work" as a teacher. Let's bring in right to work legislation for all employees. Afterall we are a democracy. Second step, for those not willing to work those long 6 hour days - 1/3 breaks and 2/3 in the classroom, let's fire them (reference, Ronald Reagan and air traffic controllers) and hire people who want to work.
  4. David Wilson posted on 01/10/2013 09:59 AM
    If the EFTO really wants anyone to pay attention to what they're saying have a protest on their own time. Saturday, Sunday, perhaps in July. All they're doing is getting more of the public to lose respect for them. It's going to be very difficult to earn it back!
    1. terri posted on 01/10/2013 10:07 AM
      @David Wilson It's going to be impossible to earn back respect and admiration for a very long time. People are done wioth teachers, their unions and their antics. They hit full tilt long ago, now they are just taking it to the max. and by doing that have lost all credibility. It will take years and years before teachers have the level of respect that they enjoyed in the past.
  5. Maria posted on 01/10/2013 11:01 AM
    Should the society even trust those to educate our children? What kind of values they will learn from the teachers that terrorize the public and keeping kids and their parents like a hostages. After all taxpayers are the once who pay their salary, so teachers are our employees - if they do not do their job - they should be out. Let's hire the professionals - stop the nonsense!
  6. Jane posted on 01/10/2013 11:29 AM
    There are two PA Days coming up shortly, the first being January 18th (elementary) and February 1st (elementary and high schools). My question to the unions is, if they have any regard for the students, why not "protest" during a day when students aren't attending school? I imagine the truthful answer is that they really don't care. And as for "protest" ..., why don't we just call it a Teddy Bear's Picnic because whatever term you choose, it is what it is, a strike. I have a suggestion, instead of the next "Take your Kids to Work Day" let's have a "Take your Teacher to Work Day"? Perhaps then teachers will have the courage to turn round to the unions and tell them to start living in the real world with the rest of us.
  7. Karen L posted on 01/10/2013 11:52 AM
    Listener/Teacher Explains Why Banking of Sick Days Should NEVER Have Been Allowed in the First Place (though this was not her intention!)
    A listener who was a teacher called in to 1010 infuriated at the possibility that teachers would not be able to bank sick days in the future, quote – based on memory mind you –
    “I dragged my self in to work when I was sick in order to be able to bank my sick days”.
    Do you not hear yourself???
    So….you are now jeopardizing my child’s health and the health of my family so you can retire 6months earlier?! Guess what, I can’t bank my sick days – the vast majority can’t: I have to take a VACATION day when my children are sick! Thanks.
    1. terri posted on 01/10/2013 12:15 PM
      @Karen L No...she didn't hear herself! This is the menatality of most of these self entitled, selfish, unreasonable ridculous "professionals". Banking sick days so they can retire 6 months earlier with their huge pay out and their huge pension, (on our blood, sweat and teard), and then they come back as supply teachers. The greed and the self entitlement is off the hook.
    2. JL posted on 01/10/2013 01:50 PM
      @terri Looks like you need a teacher. You can't spell tears.
    3. TERRI posted on 01/10/2013 02:34 PM
      @JL Good one JL. Very astute, I can't spell tears ha, ha, ha,

Yes all those dedicated teachers just don't have the time to reply on here. Are you kidding me? You have the and you're either a teacher or close to one with your ridiculous come back of I can't spell tears.

Anyway, maybe all the ranting is an indication of how fed up people are. So keep your stupid, childish remarks to yourself. You may get 1 or 2 morons who think you are funny. We all work and that's why we are sick to death of this shit.
  8. JL posted on 01/10/2013 01:54 PM
    Instead of harping on teachers, why don't you all go to work. You seem to have enough time to post your rant on here. Notice how all the teachers are too busy to post because they are at work.
    1. IAN posted on 01/10/2013 02:31 PM
      @JL Ahhh, JL, So sorry to break it to you Skippy but these type of comments and replies can now be made on a new gadget called an I Phone! Yup, There are also other new methods of communication being introduced as we speak... a mac computer also known as a laptop, an ipod that actually will play beatles music for you when you are alone! Which, by the sounds of your dumbass comment should be a majority of the time. Try and keep up genius!
    2. terri posted on 01/10/2013 02:35 PM
      @IAN Thanks Ian! Yopu gotta wonder what rock these idiots crawled ou from under.
    3. Dexter posted on 01/10/2013 08:01 PM
      @IAN @ Ian...So....Skippy...these new fangled means of communicating....are these responses done using these new ways to respond during the working hours? Or are they not working and using the 'old' ways of communicating...using a computer, while sitting at home and doing nothing?
    4. JL posted on 01/10/2013 10:25 PM
      @IAN @IAN. Yup, the I Phones and other technology do those things. I happen to have a smart phone. What I meant is that rather than working, these people are posting on FB, this site etc. while at work. I'm more of a genius than you because I don't have to use unintelligent language like swear words in my vocabulary...something you seem to need to do.
    5. Gib posted on 01/10/2013 10:35 PM
      @JL I guess you were on a break when you posted. Is the sear word you are referring to "dumbass"? Wow, that's a reach. You really scored with that comeback.
  9. Tim posted on 01/10/2013 04:48 PM
    The teachers and their union can hide behind the phrase "political protest" all they want - it's a strike!

I have no problem with the teachers "protesting", although I have little sympathy for them, I can understand why they are upset at having a collective agreement imposed on them. So if they are going to protest during their working hours then they should be using their up coming PA Days on January 18th in York Region and January 21st in Peel Region in order not to disrupt classes.

But for any teacher that decides "protest" tomorrow instead of teaching should be fired or accept that act as their resignation - because if I left work to protest my employer I know that is what would happen to me.
  10. Sandy posted on 01/10/2013 05:32 PM
    Well,, I hope the Labour Relations Board labels this "action" as a strike because that's what it is. Sadly, I have to admit that I now "hate" these condescending greedy union hogs. Their stomachs have been so stuffed by the stupid Liberals that there is no way to satiate their greed. I see comments on other online forums where they act as if they could care less about the students or anyone else. They act as if they are more important and more deserving than others. Something is terribly wrong with our society where even one fool supports them.
  11. Suzanne posted on 01/10/2013 07:35 PM
    What the previous comment stated is competely untrue. I am a teacher and many of my peers brought children to the picket line. I might bring my daughters who are 5 and 7 tomorrow. I would much rather be in a classroom on Friday but we have been put in a corner by the government and I feel that we are being used as pawns.
  12. Sandy posted on 01/11/2013 08:28 AM
    I want to barf this morning listening to Mr Elitist lefty fart catcher Moore babbling on about how excessive labour greed is perfectly acceptable. Then he goes on to make quotes of McGuilty back in the days when he was kissing union ass. Fact is, these public sector hogs need to be taken out, beaten down, whatever.
  13. GS posted on 01/11/2013 09:03 AM
    We live in Simcoe County. Yep schools are open but buses are cancelled! For all the schools where attendance is 2/3 of bused in students, it effectively turns into a snow day. Oh, the teachers may have to show up, however not all of them will and for the children who do make it to school, it will be a 'no curriculum' day.

Why would the SCDSB not require the contracted bus companies to go into today as a regular work day - rather, their web site says that buses are cancelled because of the short notice between the 4:00am decision and the morning work schedule. Rubbish! We are allowing the children (unions/teachers) to run the daycare (gov't/taxpayer)!

So the unions did what they set out to do... disrupt the entire system. That we don't have a choice as to how and by whom our children are educated is nothing less than stripping me of my fundamental right (yes teachers / unions - education is a fundamental right to all Canadians as per the Charter) to have my child taught TODAY! Pay structure (sick days blah blah blah) is not a fundamental right! Even negotiating a pay structure is not a fundamental right - my employer says, "This is what I am offering" and then I say "Okay" or I look elswhere for a job.

It is time - good bye unions! Let the laws of the land dictate how we work with our educators. Allow teachers to choose whether they need the union or not. It is anti-democratic to be forced to be in a union if you want to be a teacher. If the deal now on the table were offered to both union and non union teachers, how many would even bother with the union.

That John Moore simply dismisses today's situation as being "not the end of the world" is indicative of the strength of his argument. I love listening to his form of argumentation... talk about education and he says "Well, hey look at the G20 and how the gov't handled that" or "Hey look at how the US runs their educational system."What? Silly. He never allows his opponents to use this form of argumentation.

Do you believe the companies you give your personal and financial details to are able to keep them safe from hackers?