Bill 115 to be repealed next week

Bill 115's days are just about numbered.

The provincial government has announced they will start the process of repealing the controversial Putting Students First Act early next week. They call it "a signal of goodwill for future labour negotiations".

Earlier this month, Education Minister Laurel Broten promised to scrap the bill after using its power to force contracts on teachers & support staff.

Labour leaders weren't exactly impressed by the promise. Sam Hammond, President of the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario said "Minister Broten will not erase the stain of Bill 115 simply by removing it after it is used."

The government is moving forward on their promise now that support staff represented by CUPE have ratified their deals.

Through negotiations with CUPE, the province has agreed to give every education employee in the province, including teachers an extra sick day for a total of 11.

1. jen posted on 01/18/2013 10:40 PM
    It's not an "extra" sick day. They're taking 9 days away instead of 10.
    1. Jens student posted on 01/19/2013 03:28 AM
      @jen Boo hoo hoo
      Make sure you use them up Jen.
    2. Chris posted on 01/19/2013 08:40 AM
      @Jens student Still away too many, considering when it' all said and done teachers only work about 8 1/2 months a year. I' m sure when the time comes they will whine, complain and disrupt everything again.
  2. sal posted on 01/19/2013 11:23 PM
    They are vacation days not sick days. They are the 4-10% vacation entitlement that every employee in this province gets. Teachers do not get paid Christmas, March break or during the summer. Their vacation time is given to them in the form of "sick" days to be used throughout the year and banked if unused. All of you need to secure your facts before posting.
    1. Chris posted on 01/19/2013 11:41 PM
      @sal Sal, you teachers get paid for 8-9 months work for what most of us would love to get paid fo 111/2 months work. Your benefits are the best, bar none. Your retirement is the best bar none, and you take it leaps and bounds before the rest of us. That has all been negotiated by the unions and paid for by the rest of the working taxpayers. Your sick days are ridiculous. Please don't try and tell us any different. Besides, I thought it wasn't about the money.
    2. sal posted on 01/20/2013 01:45 AM
      @Chris Firstly I'm not a teacher. Second, teachers are also taxpayers. And lastly, you obviously missed the entire point about them not being sick days. I bet you enjoy your paid vacation time or pay. Obviously as fellow taxpayers you think teachers should not receive the same vacation pay everyone else receives. If your upset that teachers are all on 9 1/2 month contracts then please take it up with the school board or province. They do not make that decision.
    3. Matt posted on 01/20/2013 04:43 AM
      @sal @chris
      You are very clearly not a teacher. If you know one, ask them how tired and in need of a break their students are when June comes around. The break certainly wasn't put there for us!
      I am a proud teacher, one that spent five years in university, have since spent thousands of dollars in training courses taken in the summer and spend time and money every week outside of school on my students. I put a ton of time, uncompensated and we make up for it with our unpaid summer off. The average teacher makes $50,000, which is fair, considering the work done outside of our workday and the degrees and retraining we all must have.
      This weekend, I spent an hour on an advertising lesson for monday that I did on friday night when I got home from work. While watching tv on Friday night, i spent an hour marking and providing feedback on world issues projects my students did. Saturday I spent 2 hours on report cards, trying to get some learning skills done. Sunday i have to look at my pythagorean theorem lesson for Monday and then write a math test.
      Chris, did you spend any time this weekend at the office working free? The frustrating thing is that teachers have been doing exactly what i have described for years and have never complained. Today, I'm not complaining because I love what I do. I am, however, treating us like we aren't worth our wage and have it so easy.
    4. Chris posted on 01/20/2013 08:05 AM
      @Matt Sal&Matt, as far as vacation time goes, The time that teachers have for vacation is what they have, we understand that. It is when you try to convince that it is unpaid vacation that is really irksome. If you really believe that ( and you couldn't possibly) then find another job that will pay you for 2 weeks vacation. Yes, you are taxpayers but there are,any more of us out there paying for your benefits. Also, yes I do work overtime...for nothing....as do many people, and yes I do volunteer work because I want to. You have a very nice sick plan, a very nice benefit package, great vacation and fair salaries and if you weren't always complaining and trying to convince the public how hard you have it, people wouldn't resent you one iota, but when you pull the antics of late and your loud ,out he union thugs are in our faces we get mad. We have had enough. Sal, for someone who isn't a teacher you're awfully vocal on their behalf,. I think you ar fibbing or you are married to on.
    5. Matt posted on 01/20/2013 08:27 AM
      @Chris I get paid an hourly wage. I'm not sure what you mean about getting paid in the summer. My last cheque comes in June and i dont get a cheque again until September 1st.
      We have never been loud or said much about our profession until people like you started attacking us. People have been in all out attack mode on teachers for months and we are simply defending ourselves, hoping some of the ignorant public will soon realize the possible implications if the government decides to impose contracts on other sectors. Please read up on bill 115. It's terrifying how the government can break labour laws, and make it illegal to challenge those laws in court or by an arbitrator.
    6. sal posted on 01/20/2013 11:42 AM
      @Chris Chris, teachers are paid either over 9 or 12 months, depending on the board I assume. It is paid over 12 months to my wife, a teacher. She is NOT paid for summers, Christmas and March break. Her salary is distributed evenly...so let me repeat...she is paid during these times but not for these times. Now, if you only get 2 weeks vacation time then obviously you have not been at your place of employment long. Everyone in the province starts off at 4% or vacation day equivalent and over time EVERYONE works towards 10% or equivalent vacation days depending on length of seniority. If you have been at your job for say 20 years then you are making the max 10% or 4-5 weeks vacation time. If your not then I suggest you review the law and get what is owed you.
    7. Matt posted on 01/20/2013 02:39 PM
      @Chris The problem here is that the government brought this bill in that made it impossible to contest any terms withing the imposed contract with the Ontario Labour Relations Board nor any Canadian Court. The fight here is about these and any other future non-constitutional impositions of contracts. Theoretically, so long as bill 115 is in operation, contracts can be changes/imposed at any time. Picture the teachers who are 1 year away from retirement, now the government can (legally) change their retirement. Imagine planning for your retirement and budgeting only to learn that you're only entitled to a fraction of what your contract had said. Teachers have a great salaray and benefits and work hard for them. You can't begrudge them their job as they made their decision to enter teaching and youmade your choice to work under different conditions. Hopefully after the government is done with teachers, they don't come after your hard-earned anything.
  3. Andrew posted on 01/20/2013 02:50 PM
    Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It's time we put thing in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit! We can get that for less than minimum wage. That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That ...would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to......... 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations. LET'S SEE.... That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. Wait...What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year. Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Heaven forbid we take into account highly qualified teachers or NCLB...
    1. Chris posted on 01/20/2013 03:14 PM
      @Andrew Oh. Andrew, this rant gets old. It's been posted several times. This crap doesn't wash, nobody buys it and it is very sef serving. Every teacher I know, and I know plenty, live very well, take lots of vacations, are happy because their work life is GREAT. Muskoka cottages aplenty. You certainly don't fool anyone. Just admit.... Life is good...and if it's not, get another job with 2-3 weeks vacation a year, much less benefits, a third of the sick days, if you are lucky, and a much later retirement. Your assertion that you are mistreated employees is ludicrous.
    2. Jack posted on 01/20/2013 03:40 PM
      @Andrew What a pile of manure. Do you really expect peopl to swallow this? Stop with the babysitting angle.. .. It ' s garbage. As for teachers with Masters....their choice...not necessary and not the norm. We are not buying what you are trying to sell!
    3. Bec posted on 01/21/2013 09:04 AM
      @Andrew $1.42 per hour per student, you forgot to mention the teachers who VOLUNTEER their time to provide extra curriculars. On an average week some teachers volunteer an extra 10 - 15 hours for extracurriculars. Not to mention weekend tournaments. This is not at time and half, or double time that most get for overtime. This is out of the good will of their heart, to provide children with the best possible experience they can. Plus taking time away from their own families.
    4. Deb posted on 01/21/2013 09:07 AM
      @Chris Hey Chris, we all choose our own professions and pathways. You could have been a teacher too.
    5. don posted on 01/21/2013 09:12 AM
      @Bec Blah, Blah, Blah....Sure youvolunteer 10-15 hrs a week and weekends. Cut it out, nobody is blieving or listening. Do your job, forget the extra curriculars, the kids will get by, just teach them PROPERLY and don't expect anymore from the trough it's not there, and the public will fight you every step of the way. You are greedy and self serving especially when you print garbage liek this and thinkl that people are buying it! You just make everyone distance themselve more from you and not sympathize your stand even more. Leave well enough alone.
    6. chris posted on 01/21/2013 09:18 AM
      @Deb Didn't want to be a teacher, I have a rewarding career. If I had have been a teacher though I would have know what I was doing and what I was getting into and I would have respected that. I also would have appreciated alll that came with teaching, the rewarding Career, the graet benefits, the great holidays and the fair pay. Now, if I was as unhappy as so many teachers claim to be I would quit. Yes you have chosen your professio and pathway now get on with it like a professional not like a blue collar union thug.
  4. pierre poutine posted on 01/21/2013 12:28 AM
    who is repealing this Bill? The Legislature--nope, closed for proroguement.
    Is this Democracy??
    Goodbye Premier Wynne.
  5. Jack posted on 01/21/2013 11:47 AM
    The unions don't give a rat's ass about "goodwill for future labour negotiations." All they've ever cared about is taking all of the money for themselves and taking it right now, and whatever consequences there are from the province going bankrupt are none of their concern.

That's the trouble with unions, their total disconnect from the consequences of their actions. If a union member screws up, the union will pile reps as high and wide as need be to make sure that member never faces the much-deserved consequences of their actions, and nobody learns a damn thing. They attack the public in pursuit of whatever lie they're telling in order to blackmail more money out of the province, and act surprised when action like Bill 115 is taken as a consequence, or when public opinion turns ferociously against them.

Repealing Bill 115 is not the answer. Strengthening it, drafting more bills like it, putting further and further restrictions on union powers until they have completely lost their ability to hurt innocent people is the answer. Let's finally bring honesty and accountability back into the workplaces of Ontario.
    1. chris posted on 01/21/2013 01:32 PM
      @Jack I agree with you 100% Bill. As you can see from the messages by the teachers and their "supporters", they still don't get it and they still think that they can pull the wool over the public's eyes with their phony rhetoric.
  6. Ken posted on 01/21/2013 03:55 PM
    The Socialist Liberals and Communist NDP are in bed already. These spineless, useless people are in charge of a rudderless, lost, out-of-touch-with-reality non governing government.

Dalton McGuinty will go down as the worst Premier in the history of this unlucky province. (You're welcome Bob Rae)

The incoming "leader" and latest fiberal-ndper is just a self-interest yes-talking-head for the communists. Time for a real taxpayer rebellion. Small business and the working class need to shut down the province before their take home income is zero!

Disgusting! I would be so embarrassed to be a liberal. Anywhere.
  7. Harry posted on 01/22/2013 01:39 PM
    Just a question: If repealing Bill 115 is to be seen as an act of goodwill, does that mean it was the opposite when they put it in place?
    1. Richard Collins posted on 01/23/2013 09:44 AM
      @Harry The Bill is being repealed as a horribly misguided goodwill gesture towards the unions, who have done nothing to earn it. When the Bill was first put into place, it was as a goodwill gesture towards students, their families, and those teachers who want to uphold their responsibilities as educators but are unfortunately subject to the bullying whims of the unions.
    2. chris posted on 01/23/2013 11:08 AM
      @Richard Collins And don't forget the "hard done by" greedy teachers. My apologies to the genuinely good teachers who are disgusted by your unions and the greedy teachers.
    3. Harry posted on 01/23/2013 01:41 PM
      @Richard Collins So, the bill was put in place originally " as a goodwill gesture towards students, their families, and those teachers who want to uphold their responsibilities as educators but are unfortunately subject to the bullying whims of the unions. " Care to clarify?
    4. jack posted on 01/23/2013 02:12 PM
      @Harry Easy, so the union thugs and the greedy teacher couldn't hold the province at ransom with their greedy, unreasonable demands. The kids could go to school, the teachers who wanted to work and do the job they were hired to do could and the families who were paying taxes for their children to go to school could be assured that there were classes EVERY day and not when the unions and the greedy teachers deemd that they just weren't getting enough. Clear enough?
    5. Richard Collins posted on 01/23/2013 03:18 PM
      @Harry Certainly. By imposing a contract on the union and preventing a prolonged strike, the province reduces the disruption to our childrens' educations and ultimately gives them a better chance to succeed in the world; there's the goodwill to students.

Without strikes, the families of these students don't have to find alternate arrangements for their children during the day. Remember, it's becoming more and more common that both parents in a family need to work in order to pay the bills; staying home or getting a sitter for an indefinite length of time is simply a luxury not many people can afford. There's the goodwill towards parents.

Finally, not all teachers agree with the bullying tactics dictated by the union, and actually want to live up to the responsibility they took on by becoming educators. Avoiding a strike means they get to continue providing this important service without disruptions.

I still cannot fathom why the province would ever repeal Bill 115. The unions have done absolutely nothing to deserve anything besides lengthy jail time for their leaders, and their goals of bleeding the province dry and hurting anyone they can in order to do it are at direct opposition with every message we try and teach our children.
    6. Harry posted on 01/24/2013 09:47 AM
      @jack Just to be clear, you do realize that when I, and many other teachers, took the job of teaching, the start time and finish times were already established? The same goes for the school calender, and many of the terms of my contract. I did not write my contract, I did not create the pay grid, nor did I create the job description. These things were given to me by the government. Granted, the union did get to have it's say, but are you really trying to say that the situation we are in was created by teachers alone? If that were to be the case, then the government we elected over the last 80 - 90 years must really have been useless, as would be the people that elected them. You would like me to do my job, not a problem. My job is to teach. Providing breakfast programs is not my job, but that of parents. Spending extra hours after work to help a student with homework, the job of parents. Taking kids to Europe for art trips etc., the job of parents. Handing out condoms, having health nurses come in to help students with their sexual life, the job of parents. Having dances on Friday nights to help students with their social life, holding clubs, the list goes on. Like it or not, these things are not in my contract. We do them and I have been doing them for years, but if you really want to start calling me greedy and the like, feel free to do these things on your own. I have my own children and grandchildren. I would love to spend more time with them, and yo are encouraging me to do so. If you would like me to punch in at 7 and out at 5, I would be fine with that. In fact, I, as a teacher, would support it. That way, when my day is done, I go home with nothing to carry. If the work gets done, great. If not, too bad. And if you want me to go to any competitions or graduation or whatever else may occur after the regular "shop hours', you pay me over time. I'm ok with that. But write it in the contract, so that it is clear for all to see so that we don't have to live with the perpetual whinning.
    7. jack posted on 01/24/2013 10:55 AM
      @Harry We don't expect you to do breakfast programs, trips to Europe (and come on, like that would really bother you) extra work after school. etc, no one expects anything from teachers anything "extra" from teachers anymore, we do however expect you to be there every school day to teach our children. You get remunerated beautifully for it, so do it. No one is listening to you anymore. We are not "whinnining either", I think you meant whining. That's your job and the job of your hoodlum unions is to strong arm the government and the public. You can't really expect more than you are already given, unless of course we double up on our taxes so you can have all the ridiculous request and expectations that you ask for. You are all unbelievably greedy.
  8. warren posted on 01/23/2013 11:24 AM
    sick days are meant for sallaried employees if you draw a sallary you get it but 5 should be good enough . not bankable to retire early or get an extra vacation week .to be use and received when your sick only . its not as if we get our UI premiums back if we dont use them. ps if my grammar or writing skills offend you blame my teacher lol
    1. chris posted on 01/23/2013 11:43 AM
      @warren Grammar aside lol...your message comes through loud and clear and myslef and any rational person would totally agree with that!

As the body of Cpl Nathan Cirillo headed home, did you make your way to the Highway of Heroes?