BlackBerry is asking its customers to stick with the troubled smartphone maker as it restructures.
In an open letter released Monday, Blackberry tells its "customers, partners and fans" that they can keep counting on the Waterloo-based company.
READ: BLACKBERRY'S OPEN LETTER
The letter alludes to BlackBerry's $965-million loss for the second quarter of fiscal 2014 and possible ownership change, noting they could be a concern for customers.
But it says BlackBerry has substantial cash on hand, a debt-free balance sheet, and is restructuring with a goal to cut expenses by 50%.
It also says BlackBerry doesn't underestimate the situation it faces, and is making "difficult changes", like cutting its workforce by 40%, to strengthen the company.
The open letter also touts BlackBerry's security measures and notes its system also works with Apple iOS and Android devices.
And the letter also stressed the company's BlackBerry 10 devices, saying BlackBerry continues "to offer the best mobile typing experience, no ifs, ands or buts about it."
BlackBerry has struggled this year as sales of its latest smartphones failed to catch fire, and some carriers decided not to sell BlackBerry's new Z30 smartphone. Rogers Communications reversed its decision not to sell the Z30 last week after a customer backlash.
Fairfax Financial, BlackBerry's largest shareholder, has made a conditional takeover bid worth $9 per share and values the company at $4.7 billion.
The Fairfax consortium is expected to complete its due diligence by November 4. Until then, BlackBerry is allowed to actively solicit and evaluate rival offers.
BlackBerry co-founders Mike Lazaridis and Douglas Fregin have said they are looking at making a potential takeover bid.
According to documents filed with the US Securities and Exchange Commission last week, the two are "interested in pursuing a joint bid" with "the goal of stabilizing and ultimately reinventing the company."
Together, Lazaridis and Fregin own roughly an 8% stake in BlackBerry, while Fairfax holds about 10%.
Meanwhile, a class-action lawsuit was filed last Thursday at the Ontario Superior Court on behalf of all Canadian BlackBerry shareholders.
The lawsuit alleges the company and its senior management "knowingly or negligently misrepresented" that the BlackBerry 10 smartphones had been well received by customers and in a "strong financial position".
The representative plaintiff is alleged to have lost $55,000 after buying BlackBerry shares in the last year.
None of the allegations have been proven in court.
(with files from the Canadian Press)