UPDATE: Mayor Rob Ford says he will NOT resign

Ford says he has no reason to step aside as calls for his resignation get louder

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed vitae mollis tellus

Courtesy for Rey Mena

Mayor Rob Ford says he will not resign, saying he has 'no reason to.'

Ford spoke for only a minute, following a day of repeated bombshells, all involving the Mayor.

First, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair says investigators have recovered a copy of a video file that depicts images of Mayor Rob Ford that are ``consistent with those previously reported in the press.''

Blair made the comments just hours after the release of a police document that showed the alleged video was the subject of a police probe that led to the arrest of Alexander Lisi, Ford's friend and occasional driver.

Blair would not go into detail about what the video shows, but he says he has viewed it an that he is "disappointed" by what he has seen.

Lisi -- who was originally charged with four drug offences -- now faces an additional charge of extortion.

He was set free on $5,000 bail on Friday morning.

The latest revelations about the Mayor Ford made waves on social media across the world. Out of 73,319 related tweets, 80% came from Canada and the rest -- about 15,000 -- came from outside the country.

Allegations of a video appearing to show Ford smoking crack cocaine surfaced in May when reporters from the Toronto Star and the U.S. website Gawker reported they were shown the video.

When asked whether Ford could face charges, Blair said there's nothing in the video that would allow police to ``form reasonable grounds'' to support the laying of a criminal charge.

The mayor has repeatedly said he does not use crack cocaine and the video does not exist.

NEWS & VIEWS: No matter what you think of him, Rob Ford needs your help

Earlier Thursday morning, it was revealed through unsealed court documents that the alleged Rob Ford crack video was target of police surveillance.

Hundreds of pages of censored paperwork shed light on how Rob Ford is linked to Lisi.

The unredacted documents relate to search warrants for Lisi, who has been referred to as a 'friend' and a 'good guy' by Mayor Rob Ford.

Lisi was charged earlier this month, with various drug trafficking offences, and conspiracy to commit an indictable offence.

CLICK THE IMAGE TO READ

In all, there are more than 450 pages contained in the 'Information to obtain', with more than 300 pages available in full.

The information was sealed, but media lawyers argued it should be unsealed because it's in the public interest to know what information the judge used to grant the search warrants.

The documents show that the investigation was launched shortly after the story broke about Ford allegedly showing up in a cellphone video where it's been claimed he was smoking crack cocaine.

It was at that time, a homicide detective with Toronto Police, was assigned to “investigate the existence of a cellular phone containing a video of Ford smoking crack cocaine.”

Essentially, what has been unsealed, shows a relationship between Mayor Rob and Lisi. That the two had more than 100 meetings over the course of the investigation.

In the documents, it's mentioned that Lisi allegedly tried to evade Police, by using "counter surveillance measures."

The documents also say that Mayor Ford takes Lisi to Toronto Maple Leafs games, events where Lisi would be Ford's driver.

A former Ford staffer, Chris Fickel, was interviewed back in June and told investigators that Ford and Lisi spent a lot of time together, until the release of the alleged video.

Fickel admitted to Police, that he'd once seen Sandro Lisi smoke marijuana.

Police also show phone records between Ford and Lisi, in the moments after the Gawker.com story about the alleged crack video was posted. In the half an hour or so after the story went 'live', Lisi texted an unknown number 9 times, and called that number 4 more times.

Police also suggest that Lisi contacted Mohammed Siad, the person believed to be the one attempting to sell the alleged video.

The portions of the document that will remain under sealing order, at least until lawyers make further arguments next month, refer to innocent third parties not related to the essential narrative of the Lisi investigation. The Crown says those sections should not be made public.

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
      1. Karl Burgin posted on 10/30/2013 03:58 PM
        A little advice to the media maggots, and the accompanying hovering vulture lawyers: don't hold your breath- wouldn't want you all to asphyxiate.
        1. RickC_1236 posted on 10/31/2013 09:40 AM
          @Karl Burgin Hey Karl you’re always here defending the Mayor I hope you’re not in hiding today
        2. RickC_1236 posted on 10/31/2013 12:51 PM
          @Karl Burgin Hey Karl did you here the video is real. pluse wire taps hahahahahahahaha
          all day buddy all day.
      2. REALITY BITES posted on 10/31/2013 07:26 AM
        Try your best to get ready, Thug Nation.
        Today it continues to unravel for the Thug brothers.

Rob Thug's 20% plunge in approval rating this past month is just the beginning.
        1. Sonny posted on 10/31/2013 02:42 PM
          @REALITY BITES It was more like 10% going from 49% to 39% and dropping trend line.
          Happy Halloween Ford and his "nation!"
          P.S. champagne time..
      3. Crack Nation posted on 10/31/2013 09:10 AM
        The only mayor in the world to call an election process a bloodbath. Only a crack would respond like that. Well this guy and his brother is a total mess. I can't believe we voted him in. This is a mayor without a plan, he broke all his promises. Time to kick this crack out of city hall and bring in someone with a brain!
        1. Daniel J. Christie posted on 10/31/2013 09:29 AM
          @Crack Nation Yabut....Doug is quoted in this morning's Globe&Mail as saying Rob "is the most honest politician in Canada" and that he, Doug, isn't the least bit worried about the documents and that, gee whillikers, he hadn't even HEARD of the existence of the 480-page police document until -huh?- "Tuesday night". So....if someone of Doug Ford's much-vaunted integrity and hard-earned respect from people of all walks of life isn't worried (Oh, knock it off already! -ed) then why should anybody be worried?
        2. Karl Burgin posted on 10/31/2013 09:34 AM
          @Crack Nation Yeah...because that makes plenty of sense, right?!?!

You people are so hopeful that he could be connected to SOMETHING, it's clouding your judgement worse than a bad hang-over.
          I doubt this will harm the mayor in the least. Because if he was guilty of anything, he would have been called in by the police at least.
      4. RickC_1236 posted on 10/31/2013 09:23 AM
        That’s right get ready I told you Mayor Lover’s it’s just a matter of time and that I would be here to laugh at all you let the laughter begin
      5. RickC_1236 posted on 10/31/2013 10:11 AM
        Hey were all the Rob Ford supporters today? I can’t believe they have nothing to say.
        It’s just a matter of time now. Mayor lovers clean your feet because all of you will be putting your foot in your mouth shortly.
        And remember the name as I will be here to rub it in and laugh at all of you idiots ALL DAY LONG.
        1. Mark posted on 10/31/2013 01:38 PM
          @RickC_1236 I have something to say to you. I am laughing at you. The reason should be obvious.
      6. Karl Burgin posted on 10/31/2013 10:37 AM
        @RICKC_1236: Geez, its about time I got on. RICKC_1236, how the heck are you able to comment? I've been trying repeatedly every 5 minutes, and the comment window won't show up (I was lucky enough to fire off the one comment when I had the chance)- I'm assuming because of the huge news fiasco this morning, CFRB servers must be over-whelmed.
        But don't worry buddy, I'm not hiding- I've been listening to the coverage since this morning. Also listening to Mark Tui, and agreed with him totally when he surmised this thought:
        (The contents of what was released to day will have the following effect. Those who are on the side of condemning the mayor, this may provide sufficient ammunition to add to their exhausted ammunition. As to the supporters, there isn't enough facts to supply anything new, to what was already common knowledge (for the most part) before the mayor was elected.)

But I do sympathize with the mayor highly in this regard. I'm listening to him yelling at the reporters who are on his property to get off- and they still persist. I only wish he was allowed just one chance, to punch one of them in the face. He isn't even the center of the investigation, and yet they're acting like....what's the appropriate term....oh yeah, like maggots.

And to the mayor's credit, he's not the one making the news, as he has been working harder more than ever getting to city business. But the media just cannot let things go, and their efforts keep dragging the mayor into the spot-light. And as I've said before, because they could not succeed head-on against the mayor, the next best thing would be to go after whoever is associated with the mayor.
        Until there something more to prove against the mayor, other than the same old game of "Let's Connect the Dots", I cannot change my stance.
        1. Phil posted on 10/31/2013 11:28 AM
          @Karl Burgin You're stupid.
        2. Daniel J. Christie posted on 10/31/2013 03:53 PM
          @Karl Burgin It's 'Twohey' -not "Tui". But....I'm not a member of Ford Nation so I'm probably just making that up to make Rob Ford look bad while I wrap myself in commie rags like The Star and frivolously call Sandro Lisi a disreputable character I wouldn't want to get stuck next to on a subway to Scarborough.
      7. L posted on 10/31/2013 10:43 AM
        Are the comments here, with the 1010 logo actually from 1010?
      8. don was right posted on 10/31/2013 11:01 AM
        Ford has said he does not do crack, What part of that can shelly Carrol not understand?
        1. Edwin posted on 10/31/2013 11:47 AM
          @don was right Don. What part of it do you not understand.
          Look back through the history of this guy. He is a compulsive liar and now we know, the video he says does not exist, does in fact exist.

Wake up!!

Holy shit. Are you people (the Ford supporters) really that blind?
        2. Mike posted on 10/31/2013 12:14 PM
          @don was right I shake my head at people like Don................Use some common sense intelligence before you type such nonsense. What more evidence do you need?
      9. Robert from Etobicoke posted on 10/31/2013 11:16 AM
        Just switched over to am640. The whole city is talking about The Mayor - just not them.
        1. Mr Boogedy posted on 10/31/2013 01:27 PM
          @Robert from Etobicoke No surprise Robert their not talking about it they have their own identity issues Mojo Radio, All Guys Radio, Refried Bill Carroll, Wilting Mike Stafford with background laugh track, advertisements pretending to be real radio to pay the bills like fancy coloured diamonds, Raymond Aaron and his no content absolutely free information. Its about time they rebrand again....LAME640.
      10. Edwin posted on 10/31/2013 11:45 AM
        Like I said before. The mayor, is going down!

Open your eyes Ford supporters. Open your eyes!!!

HAhHAHHAHHAHa
      11. Angry Bill posted on 10/31/2013 11:45 AM
        Well, the chief in his press conference basically has verified that the famous video as originally described in the media does, in fact, exist.

Let the games begin.
      12. Angry Bill posted on 10/31/2013 11:50 AM
        Also, to me, it appears that the sole purpose of the chief calling this press conference was to communicate that the video exists, and that he's "disappointed" by the contents.

The rest was just repetitious fluff.

That begs the question, why did he do that.. One might almost suspect he has an agenda.
        1. Karl Burgin posted on 10/31/2013 11:57 AM
          @Angry Bill I agree that the "disappointed" bit is a bit of a death-blow of sorts. I don't think there's an agenda, but through the entire 'cryptic' bit the chief was saying,I think it was the only genuine piece that he could offer without giving anything away that may have consequences later.
        2. Mike posted on 10/31/2013 12:19 PM
          @Angry Bill Stop this insane nonsense 'Angry Bill". We have a Mayor who has lied to the citizens of Toronto. Shame on him. He is taking the position of Mayor to a new low.
      13. Stug posted on 10/31/2013 12:12 PM
        excellent journalism on behalf of the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail and others.
        It's a great day for responsible reporting..
        1. Karl Burgin posted on 10/31/2013 01:01 PM
          @Stug Yep...if you consider constant badgering, and paparazzi-like 'news-coverage' as responsible reporting, then be my guest.
      14. Drewski posted on 10/31/2013 12:25 PM
        Guess Rob Ford is not the Great Pumpkin After ALL! City of Toronto got it's treat on Halloween.
      15. RickC_1236 posted on 10/31/2013 12:36 PM
        Oh the chief is disappointed over the footage investigators discovered.

I told all you Mayor Lovers before the guys in the video are real, the guy that was murdered in the video is real
        The guy that was attacked in jail for bringing heat to the Dixon community is real.
        Nothing else to say just watch as this ass grabbing, crack smoking, drunken liar goes down in flames.

Saying SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS won’t help any anymore
      16. RickC_1236 posted on 10/31/2013 12:49 PM
        All day long I will laugh at you Rob Ford lovers you’re all so dumb it’s incredible
        I think you all should pucker up as you owe the Star and Gawker, a big kiss let’s have Karl Burgin lead the way
        Or better yet that ass-hat Jerry Agar.
        1. Mark posted on 11/02/2013 01:34 PM
          @RickC_1236 Karl Burgin is one of the few who post here with intelligence. As for you Rick, you are very small minded and are amused by small minded ideas. I pity you. You prove my point my incessantly spamming this post multiple times that you are laughing at Mr. Ford's supporters. I am laughing harder at you.
      17. justsaying posted on 10/31/2013 12:49 PM
        Last week Ford Nation yelled at me on this board, to get off...that nobody want to hear this. I took it to heart and stopped. I found this board to be very insightful. The prime place where Ford Nation and it supports speak up.

Knowing your point of view has helped me understand the mayor's support, and its posting Ford Nation supporters.

Dispite the rebukes, I enjoy this dialogue as it helped me understand the mayor more and even feel greater empathy for the man.

Now, the very things I predicted posted months ago, many of which were deleted by the moderator have come true.

I am not happy for this revelation. I am sorry for the Mayor, and you his followers. Maybe next time, you won't drink the Kool Aid as much? It must suck to be a Ford Nation supporter today.
        1. RickC_1236 posted on 10/31/2013 12:55 PM
          @justsaying Well said but unlike you I feel no pitty for those Ford nation idiots I will be on them all day long.
      18. Arthur posted on 10/31/2013 12:59 PM
        God damn it. Just, god damn it. All we can hope now is that our next mayor continues Ford's good work instead of reinstating the gravy train and turning this into a have-not city again.
        1. Stug posted on 10/31/2013 02:15 PM
          @Arthur gravy train never existed. Ford just made it up as a cover. fooled you eh?
        2. jjenner posted on 10/31/2013 08:52 PM
          @Arthur I certainly applaud his fiscal conservatism, but there's so many other sides to him that are so embarrassing. At the end of the day, his "stop the gravy train" sound bites appealed to the lowest common denominator. Rob and Doug Ford's legacy cannot be anything but "Dumb and Dumber"...toss a coin to see which is which.
      19. Adam F posted on 10/31/2013 01:05 PM
        Harper must be loving this, as it pulls attention away from his Duffy issue. I feel sorry for Ford, I think he has good intentions and just hangs around with the wrong people.
      20. Karl Burgin posted on 10/31/2013 01:09 PM
        I agree with some of JUSTSAYING's points- and the one's I don't necessarily agree with, I respect them anyway.
        As for RICKC_1236, you are purely just an ASS. Trolling around, and just posting spew- if you like to dabble in that sort of thing, do it on the Gawker website- not here.
        Who the hell takes great joy in someone else's plight? And despite the personal short-comings of the mayor's personal life, he has (and still does) great work for the city. And is the first mayor over a long number of years to actually connect with the voters. Because of this swirling storm, those things cannot be over-looked. Because if you just decide to vote someone else who isn't mayor Ford, and they just continue with Miller's legacy (which most agree is garbage), Toronto is no better.

My main concern, and worry, is that hopefully Rob Ford didn't outright lie, when he held the press conference back in May. Yes the media are scum, and yes, his personal life should be off-limits- but standing up before the people, and lying like that, only for it to be uncovered later...well that's something. And unfortunately it does affect the trust factor.
        Yes my support today for Rob Ford is a bit shaken, but because I know he still delivers despite the fact, I would vote for him- if I lived in Toronto.
        1. RickC_1236 posted on 10/31/2013 01:35 PM
          @Karl Burgin Hey Karl you said “I would vote for him- if I lived in Toronto”

So you don’t even live here no wonder you don’t know what going on in our city it all makes sense now. No one in T.O. cares what Ford Nation people like you think, today is the day the real citizens who knew this Mayor was a liar and a crack head will let guys like you know and not just on websites but too your face.
          And get ready because he did lie in May so star working on your apology letter to Gawker.
          An Ass is a stubborn mule who’s the ass? Yeah you think about that.
        2. RickC_1236 posted on 10/31/2013 02:56 PM
          @Karl Burgin Is it time for Rob Ford to step down from his job as Mayor of Toronto?

77.8%

22.2%
      21. Frankie posted on 10/31/2013 01:11 PM
        Listening to Shelley Carrol's comments this morning claiming that based on this information the Mayor has a drug abuse problem, IMO she should be immediately removed from office.

She is either a complete moron for failing to understand the basics of law and evidence, or she is a sleazy councillor creating a false impression because she plans to run for Mayor, and is attempting to dish out falsehoods.

Either way, would you trust her as Mayor? I wouldn't!
        1. Karl Burgin posted on 10/31/2013 01:53 PM
          @Frankie I wouldn't either- but I wouldn't worry too much. A lot of the callers on the Jim Richards show say they'll support the mayor (surprising even to me). The only concern I have is he has to find another way to to spin the attacks the media throws his way without seemingly lying about it- of which it seems, but no one can yet prove.

But what you have going for the mayor being voted again is this: you have the provincial Liberals waste a wad of money, of which we all have to pay for.
          We have the Senate scandal up in Ottawa, in which the Conservatives seem to be falling apart.

Despite his failings, Mayor Ford is still the best mayor out of the last three (Lastman and Miller), and any potential future mayor (i.e. Carroll, Adam Vaughn, Karen Stintz, and [oh God!] Chow).
      22. Caleb posted on 10/31/2013 02:02 PM
        This radio station owes a few people some apologies for your ideologically driven, knee jerk demonizing of those who claimed to have seen the video.
        1. Angry Bill posted on 10/31/2013 02:08 PM
          @Caleb I don't listen to this radio station 24/7, but I do listen a lot. John Moore and John Tory mainly, as those are the ones on during my commute. But regardless, I don't recall hearing of any host here doing any knee-jerk demonizing of the 2 Star reporters. In fact, I've only heard the hosts say that from what they know of the two Star reporters, that they respect them as journalists.

But maybe you listen to different 1010 hosts than I do.
      23. AD posted on 10/31/2013 02:04 PM
        how come police didn't say what he was actually doing? words like allegedly being used don't seem solid to me..
        How do the police know it's the SAME video as the one reported before? did the police see it or buy it? i don't understand i thought it went missing

Rob spent a lot of time with drug dealing friend at night around car wish suspicious stuff, well better arrest me too I guess and everyone I'v ever met.. A lot of people do drugs and a lot of people know them, doesn't all friends of theirs being criminals..

Still waiting for the hard evidence
        1. Stug posted on 10/31/2013 04:37 PM
          @AD what? there's more than 1 video of Rob doing crack?
      24. thelastword posted on 10/31/2013 03:00 PM
        who cares. he's going down man
      25. RickC_1236 posted on 10/31/2013 03:26 PM
        Why haven’t we heard from big brother Doug today?
      showing 1-25 of 59 comments · show all comments

The Toronto Police Services Board has met and will not be renewing the contract of Police Chief Bill Blair. Do you think it should have been extended?