UPDATE: Hamilton police officer dies after shooting at station

Staff Sgt. Ian Matthews was a 25-year member of the service

A Hamilton Police Officer has died after a shooting in the city's central station locker room.

Police did not reveal details of what exactly happened, but multiple sources and those who knew him say Matthews shot himself.

The incident occurred just after 1 p.m.

In a statement released late Tuesday evening, Police Chief Glenn DeCaire says Staff Sergeant Ian Matthews succumbed to his injuries.

Matthews was a 25 year member of the Police Service.

A non-criminal investigation is being conducted by Halton Regional Police.

Chief De Caire's Statement

At approximately 10:00 p.m. this evening, S/Sgt. Ian Matthews succumbed to his injuries. A 25-year member of the Service, Officer Matthews served in many roles including extended times in the BEAR and Homicide Units, and most recently as Central D Squad staff sergeant.

"This is devastating and I recognize the profound impact this has on our organization," said Hamilton Police Chief Glenn De Caire. "We are supporting Ian's family during this tragic time and our Critical Incident Response Team continues to respond to support our members through this tragedy."

"We respect the commitment and tenacity shown by Ian to his work and will work to honour his life with the same dedicated, professional effort that he displayed."

This sudden death, non-criminal investigation is being conducted by Halton Police Service. The Service and its members will provide no further information or comment.

Previous Statement from Hamilton Police Service

At approximately 1:00 p.m.on December 17, 2013 an officer was injured at Central Police Station, Hamilton Police Service. The Central Officer was taken to hospital in critical condition and is not expected to survive.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the officer's family and we will support them in every way", said Hamilton Police Chief Glenn De Caire. "Our Critical Incident Response Team is now responding to support our members through this."

Chief De Caire has assigned this non-criminal investigation to Halton Police Service. The Chief or any member of the Service will not provide any further information or comment on this incident.

We request that the media be respectful of our members and Service at this time


Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Jacqueline Lamoureux posted on 12/18/2013 05:15 PM
    this is so tragic - police see the worst of society & are affected mentally more than what we know. I think more mandatory counseling should be provided for all members which I know is in place already but maybe not to the degree needed. I feel deeply for this family & all who knew him, he must have been in so much pain to do this. I know from personal experience having PTSD that the only thing that pulled me through on more than one occasion wanting to end my pain this way was my son. He depended on me as a single parent & I just couldn't do that to him.
    Rest in peace Officer,
showing all comments

Your GTA

Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts

Becoming a member only takes 60 seconds! Members get access to exclusive information and products that non-members do not, including concert ticket presales, trips, advance notice on upcoming entertainment events, movie screening passes, music giveaways and more!

Login with Facebook

Today's Poll

What are your plans for the Easter Weekend?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hour(s) VoteResults

Top Stories