Reporter drops lawsuit against Mayor & ZoomerMedia

Rob Ford retracts comments made about Daniel Dale

He said the mayors first apology before council, was unsatisfactory, but today, after a second apology letter, Daniel Dale has accepted Rob Ford's 'I'm Sorry.'

The letter was sent out Wednesday evening and the apology and retraction was strongly worded.

Dale responded on Twitter, saying he won't be proceeding with a defamation lawsuit against Ford.

The reporter says he appreciates Ford's ``complete retraction and unqualified apology,'' and he's glad the truth is no longer in dispute.

Dale served Ford last week with a libel notice, demanding he retract all of his false claims about what happened during an incident near Ford's house in May 2012 and issue an ``unreserved, abject, complete apology.''

In relating the incident, Ford had often said Dale was in his backyard taking pictures, claims he has now retracted.

ZoomerMedia has also apologized for airing the interview. A spokesperson emailed the statement late Wednesday evening:

“We have always believed that this was primarily a matter between Mr. Dale and Mr. Ford. However, we sincerely regret the part ZoomerMedia played in broadcasting the offending words spoken by Mr. Ford, and apologize for that. We can confirm that those words will never again be broadcast on any of our television outlets or websites.”

Dale says even though he doesn't understand why the interview aired in the first place, he won't be suing them either.

1. Brian posted on 12/18/2013 08:36 PM
    Ford Nation we are marching behind a liar, wow are we that stupid!!!
    1. Gino posted on 12/18/2013 08:50 PM
      @Brian his apologies mean nothing anymore. what comes out of his mouth means nothing anymore, he means nothing anymore.
    2. jm posted on 12/18/2013 08:57 PM
      @Brian Yes, you are.
  2. Peter posted on 12/18/2013 08:44 PM
    . . * * * THEY BOTH WIN * * *

The positive vibes of Mayor Ford pulled through. He is respectful to apologize the second time. He won't have to waste time or money in court either.

Mr. Dale is happy, he won his request, and is respected too.

A possible bonus:
    Now what would be more finer than for Mr. Dale to donate the money from his supporters to a charity. That would be a perfect, nice ending.

It seems that wherever Mayor Ford is involved, there is a positive force following him.

Good going Mayor Ford.

1. Brian posted on 12/18/2013 08:50 PM
      @Peter you can see a positive from Mayor Ford standing on the mountain top shouting to the world that he is a liar and you can still say "good going Mayor Ford" man we are doom!!!
    2. Tim posted on 12/19/2013 08:29 AM
      @Peter Keep dreaming. The mayor just comes out of this looking like a liar and a fool.
  3. frank freitas posted on 12/18/2013 09:05 PM
    CARL BRING THE WHIP OUT
  4. Mike from the hinterland posted on 12/19/2013 01:24 AM
    The case had no merit. You cannot try someone for what he might think and Rob Ford in spite of what you may think of him acted reasonably as a father and a husband. As I have said, a reasonable person may have thought that the person near or on his property many want to harm his family, break in to his house, harm his children etc. I believe a jury or a judge would have thrown this trivial and unnecessary law suit out of court.

I am not a Ford supporter and I believe that the Toronto Star had an intention to put Rob Ford under oath to dig up dirt. I believe the Mayor's apology is sincere. Now I am waiting for some whiny, snivelling Republic of Toronto council member to complain about the use of the Mayor's letter head and I expect a complaint to the integrity commissioner. As a citizen and tax payer, can someone please reduce the size of council, they appear not have enough things to do. I believe we need a down sizing of government desperately!
    1. brian posted on 12/19/2013 07:18 AM
      @Mike from the hinterland it is very clear that Rob and his lawyers think that the case have a lot of merit or else he would not go to great length to make sure he met dale's demands - you need to separate what your politics is and the behavior of Mr Ford - how can you support a man who is afraid to go under oath?
  5. Carol King posted on 12/19/2013 08:07 AM
    In my opinion Daniel Dale's form of a needed apology is outrageous. He had to have it in a specific way. Rob Ford complied. Now I hope Dale and The Toronto Star will leave well enough alone.
    Rob Ford is for the people. He is trying to keep the taxes down. He works for us, the people. The rest of the members want him out in my opinion so they can jack up the cost of taxes and whatever else they try to get from us. We are not rich like them. We don't have the money to put out on these higher taxes etc. I am for Ford all the way. I will vote for him in the next election and I will encourage everyone I talk to, to do so also.
    Thanks
    1. Peter posted on 12/19/2013 08:28 AM
      @Carol King .
      Me too.

2. brian posted on 12/19/2013 09:00 AM
      @Carol King Don't you think that it is outrageous that the mayor is a liar!!!
  6. RickC_1236 posted on 12/19/2013 09:18 AM
    Well Karl, Mark7 and the rest of you rob supporters now do you get it??
    As foolish as you are for defending a habitual liar in the end when he admits he has once again tricked crack nation as he sure as hell cannot not fool the rest of us he makes you all look as STUPID as you are.
    1. Steve posted on 12/19/2013 09:35 AM
      @RickC_1236 When it comes to name-calling some people don't seem to see the hypocrisy of their own actions. Yes I am saddened at what has gone on but when you have councillors who are caught drunk driving or who rent bunny suits on the taxpayer dime or throw themselves lavish going-away parties on the taxpayer dime or who have such vitriolic hate without regard for the job they were elected to do, then I think there are more problems with others than with Ford. Even by the Star's estimate the Mayor has saved over $600 million of yours and my money. That is an unparalleled record and none, not one, of the so-called holier-than-thou councillors can hold a candle. As far as followers go, Rick_C, you call me stupid and yet you don't even know who I am or what I do. Ignorance is a sad quality to have and you have it in abundance.
    2. dama posted on 12/19/2013 03:31 PM
      @RickC_1236 Well well well.. at least Ron Ford has man up and do a 2nd apology, the 1st apology was not up to Dale's expectation, so a 2nd better worded apology
      is the right thing to do since he already apologies..

You are so shallow in your perception and thinking.. yes yes yes I know he is a liar.. we all lie.. dont you? ohh you are holier than thou.. I get it..

The way I see it,, any good thing that Rob Ford moght do, in your eyes it will not satisfy you, for your mind and eyes are clouded and a Ford hate. . so I will leave it as that.. and I would not even call you STUPID,, are you?
  7. jsutsaying posted on 12/19/2013 09:35 AM
    And once again, after denying there was anything wrong, and lying about it, the mayor now owns up and tells the truth (only once the truth was about to blow up in his face). . How many times can he lie to Ford Nation and have them still believe and even trust this mayor? Imagine if Ford Nation focused their efforts on supporting Good in our Society, instead of propping up a liar with no respect for the city, let alone his own followers who he lets defend him, all the while knowing it is a lie?

And good for Zoomer to distance itself from the controversy and nice of Dale to accept their apology.
  8. Frankie posted on 12/19/2013 09:36 AM
    My various comments were based on what Ford had previously said. With this new information my comments are obviously no longer valid. Whilst I don't appreciate that dishonesty it is still less damaging to this city than the likes of the Millerites and future Chowites.
    1. brian posted on 12/19/2013 09:46 AM
      @Frankie the disturbing thing about your belief in ford is you are not willing to stand up and say ford is a liar period - no qualifiers.
  9. RUKidding posted on 12/19/2013 12:10 PM
    Daniel Dale is too precious by half. Obviously being pushed by The Star to keep this "garbage suit" going. I wouldn't be surprised if Adam Vaughn & Paul Ainslie were behind Dale's cuteness.

Have you ever met one of those people that you long to push down and shove mud (or worse) in their face? That's Daniel Dale.
    1. tanjo posted on 12/19/2013 12:38 PM
      @RUKidding I know a lot of people have invested so much Emotional Capital in this man that they cannot tolerate any level of criticism, no matter how justified.

But expressions of anger such as this only add to the "bullying" impression that people have of the Fords and Ford Nation.

What exactly are you trying to express here?
    2. justsaying posted on 12/19/2013 01:20 PM
      @RUKidding typical thug nation reply. Your ignorance and obliviousness is only exceeded by your sense of entitlement. Here's hoping you get what you wish onto others as your Holiday gift.
  10. dama posted on 12/19/2013 02:23 PM
    Pheeeeeew !!!!

Apology given, apology accepted..

People move on..

Yes, Rob Ford is a liar.. so what.. ?>

Yes, he is a fat slob.. he is exercising now.. good 1st step..
    more energy for him to go door to door campaign

Can you imagine,, even with all these self inflicted shxt, he is still
    commanding 39%

Rob Ford FTW...
    1. brian posted on 12/19/2013 03:45 PM
      @dama since Rob Ford is a liar, how can anything he said be trusted?
    2. Mike from the hinterland posted on 12/20/2013 08:08 AM
      @dama dama, I agree with you all politicians lie. Show me a businessman or politician and I will show you a crook! The Federal Conservatives and the Ontario Liberals are the biggest ones. Rob is a small fry.
  11. Old Yeller posted on 12/19/2013 03:35 PM
    What bothers me about all of this, is that Rob Ford, not unlike what is happening to Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson, is not allowed to say what he thinks. God forbid, (oops, I said "God!"), that you are asked a question and answer it honestly. Prepare to be vilified at the very least, or even loose your job. Rob Ford should not have had to apologize for thinking what he was thinking at the time when he thought his family was being spied upon. I hope Phil Robertson sticks to his guns. (see what I did there?)
    Free speech is dead!
    1. Brian posted on 12/19/2013 03:47 PM
      @Old Yeller Rob Ford is not apologizing for what he thinks but rather for the lies he tells - pay attention
    2. jm posted on 12/19/2013 03:52 PM
      @Old Yeller Not even close, Phil Robertson was just stating his religious beliefs, something not PC when America is sending a gay delegation to Sochi to protest Russia's anti-gay policy. Rob Ford lied about the entire incident, not what he thought, not his ideology, but lied about the event itself, using the opportunity to slander the journalist, implying that he is a pervert.

Phil Robertson has no reason to apologize (martyrs never apologize but pay a price), Rob Ford had to because he knew he lied.
  12. Randy posted on 12/20/2013 10:30 AM
    If he had sued, he could probably sue his lawyer for taking on a case that he knew had no merit. This is just more mudslinging by the Star. A newspaper who holds no shame about being biased in its reporting of your mayor (and likely most everything else)
    1. Brian posted on 12/20/2013 03:33 PM
      @Randy read what you are writing - Rob Ford admit that everything that the star write is true -
      -he buys crack
      - he drinks and drive
      - he makes up stories about the reporter in is backyard
      why why don't you believe him when he says he does not have any morals
  13. john posted on 12/20/2013 10:37 AM
    dude he is a politician OF COURSE HE IS GOING TO LIE DUH !

dale baled out cause he know he had no right being near his property . looking over his fence taking pictures . i don't care who disagrees with me . it is all about common sense .

he would had his ass kicked in the courts nobody has the right to invade in peoples private lives simple as that .
    1. brian posted on 12/20/2013 03:27 PM
      @john does it matter to you that Rob Ford says he lied when he says that Dale was looking over his fence or taking pictures

it seems to me that you guys worship the ground that rob ford walks on even when he said that he is liar you are still idolizing him - I have never seen anything so silly.
  14. john posted on 12/21/2013 11:37 AM
    brian i say the same thing to people who keep voting the liberals into power even with people sore form the screw job they been getting form them .
    1. brian posted on 12/21/2013 05:36 PM
      @john I appreciate your sentiments but this time we are talking about Rob Ford and his lying

Does it bother you that the Toronto cop accused of murder in last summer's streetcar shooting is now working for Crime Stoppers?