Two dead in Newcastle after carbon monoxide from gas generator seeps into house

Police warning people about using gas generators

Police in Durham Region say two Newcastle residents are dead after carbon monoxide seeped into their home from a gas generator running in the garage.    

Police say emergency services were called to the home at about 3:30 p.m. Monday regarding several people who were feeling ill.    

A 52-year-old man and his 72-year-old mother were rushed to Lakeridge Health Bowmanville but did not survive.    

Their names have not been released.    

Police say a gas-powered generator was running in the garage to supply electricity to heat the house, and although there was no access to the house from the garage, the dangerous fumes still got inside the home.    

Police warn that running a gas generator, barbecue or a similar device too close to a residence can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.


Fire officials have released safety tips for those of you who are still without power: 


Toronto Fire Services offers residents the following tips for staying safe in the aftermath of the ice storm. 

Candle safety
• use a sturdy holder 
• make sure glass shade higher than flame to protect against loose clothing becoming ignited
• position candle away from combustibles
• blow out the flame when you leave the room
• keep lighters, matches and candles away from children

Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
• ensure that the batteries are working

• avoid operating propane, natural gas or charcoal barbecues indoors – if not properly vented, using them will create a carbon monoxide (CO) hazard
• ensure that your stove is clear of combustibles and is turned off or unplugged to avoid a fire when the power comes back on
• leave kettles and other small appliances unplugged

• ensure the fireplace screen is in place if burning fuel in a fireplace 
• avoid burning trash or paper in a fireplace, as flaming paper can travel up the chimney and land on your roof 
• provide at least one metre of clearance from combustibles for an electric space heater 
• do not use stove, barbecue or camping gear for heating your home, as they create a CO and burn hazard

Power outage
• do not operate generators inside home, garage, or near windows or vents where exhaust could migrate indoors
• refuel outside and after generator has cooled
• use a flashlight rather than a candle for light

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here.

Your GTA

Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts

Becoming a member only takes 60 seconds! Members get access to exclusive information and products that non-members do not, including concert ticket presales, trips, advance notice on upcoming entertainment events, movie screening passes, music giveaways and more!

Login with Facebook

Today's Poll

Raptors GM Masai Ujiri yelled "F*** Brooklyn" to fans in Maple Leaf Square Saturday before the team's playoff game vs the Nets. He has apologized. Do you think Ujiri went too far to get fans amped up?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hour(s) VoteResults

Top Stories