Husband of ex-MPP George Smitherman found dead

Toronto Police say Christopher Peloso, husband of ex-MPP George Smitherman, has been found dead

Toronto Police confirm Christopher Peloso, the husband of ex-Ontario Deputy Premier George Smitherman, has been found dead.

Early Monday morning, Smitherman's Twitter account showed a message that said:

"Toronto Police just confirmed that my darling Christopher Peloso has been found dead.  We will celebrate his life and we will find comfort in knowing that he has found peace from the depression that has wreaked havoc on his mind."

Peloso disappeared around 11:00am Sunday from his home in the Bloor Street and Landsdowne Avenue.

Peloso had a history of clinical depression and disappeared in September for more than 36 hours and was found near a rail line in the Landsdowne Avenue and Dupont Street area.

Authorities say relatives of the 40-year old have been notified but will not go into detail on the circumstances surrounding Peloso's death.

It is not clear when he died or where he was found.

Smitherman served as Ontario's health minister and energy minister before he stepped down to run for Mayor in Toronto's 2010 civic election.

Peloso is survived by Smitherman and their two children.  He has another child from a previous marriage.

1. RandyW posted on 12/30/2013 08:13 AM
    Autopsy I want one and the findings made available to the world. After all it's of public interest and concern.
    1. Silvia posted on 12/30/2013 08:36 AM
      @RandyW how is this of public interest? He was NOT a public figure!
      some people don't have a life, that's why they need to get into someone else's. Leave this family alone!
    2. dama posted on 12/30/2013 04:02 PM
      @RandyW The cause of death will probably be made public but it is not necessary
      for public interest.
  2. MichaelP posted on 12/30/2013 08:29 AM
    good thing we didn't elect Smitherman as mayor. Pretty certain his mind would have been in other places instead of trying to work through the ice storm. Very sad story. Gonna be very hard on the kids.
    1. Townie posted on 12/30/2013 09:49 AM
      @MichaelP First of all, city workers "work through the ice storm," not the mayor. Besides, he's just a mouthpiece now. Nice try, though. Secondly, are you seriously suggesting that with Ford as mayor, there have been no distractions? Hahahahahahahahaha-HA. Oh I see. You specifically cite the ice storm to qualify your statement first, to avoid being called on it for being silly. How cute! Please see my first point again. Third, yes it's very sad and will be very hard on the kids. Tragic and preventable, unfortunately. Too bad that this is the only part of your post that has any relevance at all.
  3. DMCP posted on 12/30/2013 09:03 AM
    This story is of public interest. He is a former deputy leader of the ruling liberal provincial government, former runner up mayoral candidate and supporter for possible mayoral candidate Oliva Chow. Smitherman is a known drug user and reputed bully. No we should not leave this family alone. What does Chief Blair think? Are the children safe in this home, were they ever safe in that home? Is CAS investigating?
    1. r2d2 posted on 12/30/2013 10:07 AM
      @DMCP Chief Blair just went on the air and commented that he found the situation "disappointing!"
      Are you ok with that DMCP?
  4. Al Bundy posted on 12/30/2013 10:49 AM
    My sympathies are with the kids/family, but to denegrate the institution or marriage by calling him GS's HUSBAND is an insult. He's just his partner, no more, no less!! Enough with the husband s@#t.
    1. john posted on 12/30/2013 11:35 AM
      @Al Bundy but instead of calling the women wife we really should call em future gold diggers
  5. Brandon H posted on 12/30/2013 11:05 AM
    The comment section on this story disgusts me. What awful human beings you all are for attacking a man and his family after losing someone so soon.

My condolences to George and his family, and Chris's family.

Oh, and Al Bundy, welcome to Canada, where Chris was his HUSBAND. Don't like the law of the land, then go live somewhere where it isn't the law.
    1. Stug posted on 12/30/2013 11:41 AM
      @Brandon H I'll stay here if you don't mind. It's really a partnership in the majority of people's eyes no matter what laws they politically bring in but i am with you on your first statement
    2. Al Bundy posted on 12/30/2013 11:03 PM
      @Brandon H To Brandon, because it is the law, does not mean I have to follow like sheep. The decline of ' morality ' is very evident in this country of ' ours,' Canada...,

I will not or will ever accept that a man and a man, can be termed as husband.. So does that make Smitherman the WIFE??

The law is an ass, if ever you heard that!!!
  6. Mike from the hinterland posted on 12/30/2013 12:26 PM
    My sympathies on your loss George and I would like to extend my condolences to your family as well.
  7. RickC_1236 posted on 12/30/2013 01:00 PM
    save the kids !!!
  8. Cliff posted on 12/30/2013 02:09 PM
    That is going to give a brown eye to the gay community.
    Still, I want a day off work for bereavement, and a free bag of food from Loblaws
    1. Will posted on 01/03/2014 11:39 AM
      @Cliff Brown eye? The usual term is "black eye", is it not?

Did "black eye" suddenly become un-PC?
  9. Liz posted on 12/30/2013 02:13 PM
    Sad that this person whose partner was the Minister of Health for Ontario, could not get or obtain the help he needed to deal with his mental illness? One needs to question why and this would assist many others in the future.
    1. IsobelF posted on 12/30/2013 04:39 PM
      @Liz I don't know the circumstances of this case, but I do know that it is pretty difficult to force someone to get treatment, no matter how badly they need it. I'm sure his loved ones tried. I also know that the person has to make the call for help themselves, which often doesn't happen when people are clinically depressed. It is a very difficult situation.
    2. Will posted on 01/03/2014 01:39 PM
      @Liz I'm not trying to make light of Christopher's tragic loss, but when even a(former) Minister of Health can't secure enough help to save his own husband, doesn't it show how the purpose of Big Government bureaucracy seems more geared to keeping union workers employed and continuing to donate and vote for the politicians who keep them employed, rather than its alleged purpose of helping people?
  10. Mike posted on 12/30/2013 04:39 PM
    But we will mourn the loss of this man with patience and understanding. We will extend kind words of support to his partner and family while understanding that he suffered from some affliction that most of us have not experienced. It's a shame that the Liberal faction would not give the the same support to a public figure who lives on the other side of the fence.
  11. Robert posted on 12/30/2013 08:09 PM
    Poor George, all these horrible comments how would you feel I have been living with my boyfriend 20 years he has depression and read some of this shit makes me mad...health care hasnt helped my guy...but he doesnt go out at all ever without me ...only thing may have helped would have been a GPS device after his last disappearance but dont blame him...or heath care this is sad....
  12. Robert posted on 12/30/2013 08:09 PM
  13. Mark posted on 12/30/2013 09:33 PM
    I disliked Mr. Simtherman and his politics but some of the comments here are disgusting. Someone lost a loved one and children lost a parent. That is a real tragedy for any family. I will never vote for George but I feel sorry for him and his family.
    1. DMCP posted on 12/30/2013 10:06 PM
      @Mark These children lost their parents years ago. They were put into that home to satisfy some perverse social engineering experiment. The way I see it the children are the winners - only if they are out of there.

What are your plans for the Easter Weekend?