Toronto officials say it will cost more than $75 million and take up to eight weeks to clean up the thousands of tree limbs that fell during the ice storm that hit the city.
Coun. Denzil Minnan-Wong says about $25 million will be spent on cleanup and another $50 million to repair and maintain the tree canopy. He says more than 600 staff and contractors will fan out across the city starting Friday, working 12 hours a day, seven days a week to get the job done.
The city says three-person crews will clear tree debris from roadsides using chain saws and chippers while two-person forestry crews will focus on removing hanging branches that threaten power lines and walking areas.
Thousands of ice-covered tree limbs and branches fell as a result of the ice storm late last month, with many falling on hydro lines, causing massive power outages.
Mayor Rob Ford says all of those who lost power in the storm had it back as of Wednesday, adding he was proud to see how Toronto residents pulled together to get through the storm and its aftermath.
``The tremendous work done by everyone to date speaks to the calibre of people who make up this great city,'' Ford said at city hall.
``We will pull together again as we move into this next phase of clean-up operations and help Toronto residents return to their everyday lives.''