WATCH: Rob Ford wants to continue being 'the best Mayor Toronto's ever had'

Mayor Rob Ford is banking on voters seeing past the scandals that plagued his first 3 years in office

Mayor Rob Ford kicks off his 2014 re-election campaign
Photo: James Moore/NEWSTALK 1010

After filing the necessary paperwork to take part in Toronto's 2014 municipal election, Rob Ford left little doubt that he is officially in full campaign mode.

"I've got the strongest track record and I've been the best Mayor the city's ever had," Ford says.

Unofficially, municipal election campaigning has been underway for a while, but Thursday is the day that campaigns can officially begin.

The vote goes in October.

Toronto's Mayor-in-name-only got fiery after being questioned about potential stumbling blocks on his campaign trail, specifically about how he will explain his personal problems to potential voters.

"My record speaks for itself," Ford says.

If the Mayor's first encounter with reporters in his run for re-election sets the tone for the entire campaign, voters can expect the Ford to be scrappy both with the news media and with his critics.

"I've accomplished 85 percent of what I said (I'd do) and the only thing I couldn't have done is get rid of the land transfer tax.  I admit that I didn't fulfill that promise ... I'm going to keep working on it."

It's clear that Ford wants to keep the focus off of things like his admission to smoking crack, drinking to the point of being in stupors, and foul-mouth comments he made about his marriage.

Ford says he has no fear of opponents who might question his character.

"My character is about going to people's front doors, saving them money, and returning their calls," he says.

Ford believes voters will see past the scandals and opt for another 4 years of his fiscally conservative policies.

He adds that he looks forward to taking on all challengers, including TTC Chair Karen Stintz and rumoured contenders like Trinity-Spadina MP Olivia Chow and NEWSTALK 1010 host John Tory.

When it comes to who will back the Mayor's push to keep his gig at City Hall, his brother will head up Rob's campaign.

That means Councillor Doug Ford will not run for re-election in his Etobicoke North ward.

He says he is eyeing a run at provincial politics but would not elaborate.

1. Rob Ford's Cadillace posted on 01/02/2014 03:07 PM
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1. Mark7 posted on 01/02/2014 05:44 PM
      @Rob Ford's Cadillace I knew you would put up something small minded like this, child. I will stoop to your level when Rob ford ins again and repeat your laughter right back at you.
    2. Mark7 posted on 01/02/2014 05:57 PM
      @Rob Ford's Cadillace Cadillac is spelled the way I just typed it for you, son. Ha ha ha
  2. Ephena posted on 01/02/2014 03:19 PM
    He does realize that Doug won't be able to speak for him in debates, right? That people are going to ask him questions and he won't be able to duck away into his office?

I get that Ford Nation are ok with someone who's judgement is so bad they got caught on camera smoking crack, and show up to public events drunk, but Ford is going to have to debate with relatively intelligent people who can do the math. I don't know that thinking on his feet is really his strong suit.

Upside, US late night shows are going to have a field day.
    1. dama posted on 01/02/2014 03:40 PM
      @Ephena Rob Ford will stand and debate his track records and it will not be wise for opposition candidates to attach his personal issues, it will likely turn voters to Ford's camp.. on top of that he already apologised million times..

It will be a highly contested race and Rob Ford by registering first is really telling the other candidates that he is ready for a show down..

Interesting 10 months to watch the campaign .. and Rob Ford MIGHT win.. dont rule him out even with John Tory running.. ..
    2. Mark7 posted on 01/02/2014 05:46 PM
      @Ephena "Upside, US late night shows are going to have a field day." So can I assume you watch American trash tv shows like those you mentioned? Here is what those shows represent...Look at the fools on tv being paid to play the fool.
  3. Peter posted on 01/02/2014 04:16 PM

* * * MAYOR FORD IS IN THE LEAD * * *

So far Mayor Ford is way ahead of everyone else in campaigning.

He's going for a touchdown.

Good going Mayor Ford

1. HP posted on 01/02/2014 04:26 PM
      @Peter Let's see who the other candidates are...the only thing Ford has going for him is that he hates downtown and downtown hates him. I won't vote for him, he's a disgrace to this city and campaigns using dirty, personal attacks, based on lies. He drags us down into the gutter with every robocall...perhaps this time he'll be held to account.

He can't run on his record as he's done nothing, so he'll just attack, attack, attack...Doug will run his campaign again so we know it will be dirty. Sad day for Toronto, we deserve better.
  4. REALITY BITES posted on 01/02/2014 11:25 PM
    The only thing sadder than the "news" that Rob Thug is running again is that Doug Thug is his manager. This means that every Ford lie will continue to be heard in stereo.

Thug 1: "I've been the best mayor the city's ever had."
    Thug 2: "He's been the best mayor the city's ever had."

Thug 1: "I saved the city a billion dollars."
    Thug 2: "He saved the city a billion dollars."

Thug 1: "I will win again."
    Thug 2: "He will win again."
    1. Mark7 posted on 01/03/2014 06:30 AM
      @REALITY BITES At least you accept the fact that Rob Ford will win again. It is inevitable.

My Star subscription is up for renewal this month. I am going to relish lambasting that disgraceful paper in a phone call as to why I am saying good riddance! The Star I hope gets what it richly deserves, loss of revenue and customers.
  5. Edwin posted on 01/03/2014 01:43 AM

If he gets in again, I think this city is in for a lot of trouble. THe guy has no vision, integrity, or moral aptitude.

1. Mark7 posted on 01/03/2014 06:33 AM
      @Edwin "I am really quite amazed at why you all support such a liar and a complete idiot."

Have you ever or will you ever vote for the Lobranos? If you do you are a complete idiot. The Lobranos make Mr Ford look like an angel on his worse day.
    2. alex posted on 01/03/2014 10:06 AM
      @Edwin If John Tory ( who incidentally has been using CFRB to campaign for the past 2 years) runs it will only split the vote and Chow Chow wins.
  6. Mike from the hinterland posted on 01/03/2014 07:10 AM
    Can Rob Ford win, yes I believe he can if the following occurs:

There are no startling revelations coming from the Alexander Lisi trial.
    He behaves and there are no more drunken stupors.
    He does not end up in jail on some possession charge.
    There is a wide enough field of candidates where the vote is split significantly.
    There is no viable conservative candidate for people to rally around.

If he does win, he will require a conservative allies on council to support his agenda or else we will have the same situation with a lame duck Mayor.
  7. Karl Burgin posted on 01/03/2014 09:43 AM
    @EDWIN:
    I'm going to take this opportunity to pick apart your argument- so here we go

"TO all your Ford supporters. If the mayor comes up against John Tory, or even Stinse, he will look like more of a fool. And so will all of you fr supporting him and his buffoonish behaviour. But I guess I am not surprised-the blind leading the blind."

*Stinsk is no threat, so I'm not going to even address her. She's a flip-flop, with very little spine. And a back-stabber.
    As for John Tory, yes he's a good guy, but has a poor track record in politics. Though I would rather he went for the leader of the PCs and become Premiere. But I'm sure he recognizes the risk he's taking in going up against Ford. And I doubt he's not going to enter a race in which he probably knows he isn't going to win. If he enters I would be genuinely surprised, but I', betting my money that he isn't going to run.
    As to supporting Ford's bad behavior, that isn't the case. I support him learning from his mistakes and getting better- which he clearly has done. If he were to continue in the rut as before, it would be a different story.

"If he gets in again, I think this city is in for a lot of trouble. The guy has no vision, integrity, or moral aptitude."

*You have to walk first before you can even run. Why would you shoot for the stars when you cannot even fly yet?
    Toronto is no position to become grander, like the bigger cities down south, until it addresses some foundational problems first. One of which is transit and the building of subways. It is my understanding that during the recent ice storm, that the LRTs weren't working? Surprise, surprise. And yet, if we had continued with Miller's plan to build LRTs throughout the city, it would have been a lot worse. The transportation aspect is still in the works- and until the shovels start hitting the ground, greater aspirations for the city of Toronto will have to stay on hold.
    There was also the problem with a lot of the former mayors kicking the can down the road. Ford has the guts to stop kicking-the-can, and pick it up.

As for moral aptitude, he is squeaky clean when it comes to his performance in office. There is no issue there. Ford didn't become mayor, so that people can pick apart his personal life, and be graded on it. Or for it to be displayed to the world. That is not right, and not fair. So please don't speak of moral aptitude.

"I am really quite amazed at why you all support such a liar and a complete idiot. Again, well, I need not say it. "

*Quite often he lied to cover up his personal life. If anyone else were under such scrutiny from the media, they would probably do the same- whether they be in the public light or not.
    As for being a complete idiot, if he was, how could he have been able to accomplish all he has, and fulfill most of what he promised when he first ran. If that counts as him being a complete idiot, then I wish more of our politicians were the same. Because no other politician, of any political stripe, on any level of government, can boast of the fulfillment of promises, as Rob Ford can.

"When his actual numbers are challenged, hopefully all of you, that can't see through this guys blatant lies, will maybe see things the way they really are."

*If the only sticking point you can point to is "a billion dollars saved", then you are in serious trouble. The CFO of Toronto confirmed it was a billion saved a while back, whereas Conrad black estimated it to be roughly $650 million. It all depends on how you present the numbers, but ultimately Ford has save the city some serious dough- and that is an accomplishment that one simply cannot ignore
    1. alex posted on 01/03/2014 10:07 AM
      @Karl Burgin If John Tory ( who incidentally has been using CFRB to campaign for the past 2 years) runs it will only split the vote and Chow Chow wins.
    2. dama posted on 01/03/2014 03:12 PM
      @Karl Burgin You dissected every points that Edwin made.. well done.. can I 2nd you to be Rob Ford;s campaign manager?

With you writing his debate and speech, he will win by another land slide.

I need you to campaign door to door wih this testimony that you had just posted..

lol

Ford More Year.. .
  8. Karl Burgin posted on 01/06/2014 10:05 AM
    @DOONY P.

Hey Doony, I'm back. I thought I would take he weekend off to let you cool down a bit. And hopefully your stupid little rants would get better. On the contrary, you disappointed me, but yet again, not really surprising.
    It's kinda funny, that whoever supports Ford, or even in the least defend him, you and your posse like to label us 'Thug Nation'.
    And yet, as you demonstrated here, you're the one with all the abrasive name-calling, and insults- and you have proven your inability to reply to any of the posts myself, or anyone else supporting Ford, with any sense of reason or logic.

There are a few who actually stand on your side of the fence, who argue in your favor, with class and decency. And even though I still would disagree with them, I end up highly respecting them. You should really take a page out of their book, and learn how to post, instead of spewing your hated detrimental spiel.
    Yeah, sure I don't live downtown, but I've worked for a few years where I spent most of my days downtown. So yeah, my opinions on this matter is valid. And if you actually lay out your argument in logical way, I might find yours valid as well.
    1. donny p. posted on 01/06/2014 10:20 AM
      @Karl Burgin STFU, TROLL
  9. john posted on 01/06/2014 10:53 AM
    man thats a lot of people who think he is not going to win .
    begs the qustian did the leafs win the cup yet ?

or coarse he is going to win . u that dumb ?
    as for fords cadillace if i had one i would take it to the scrap yard . i am not a GM person . i am a ford person . thay last longer . .

What are your plans for the Easter Weekend?