Tory claims of postal code politics 'BS': Chairelli

The province's energy minister defends the way Ontario handled ice storm response.

Ontario Energy Minister Bob Chiarelli says the Tories claims of "postal code politics" is "B.S.".

Chiarelli tells Newstalk 1010 the relief effort wasn't only focused on Toronto but rather province-wide.

On communications with opposition members, he says both his ministry and the Ministry of Community Safety reached out to opposition critics to give information and set up briefings for affected MPPs.

He says PC energy critic Lisa MacLeod never responded to his emails. She maintains she only received press releases.

The Tory was critical of the province's roll-out of the gift card program, put in place to help people whose food spoiled because they lost power. It was only available to Toronto residents last week.

In a written statement, the premier's office says "While not perfect, it was important to make help available to those in need as soon as possible." A spokesperson says more regions will be added to the gift card distribution list, including  Durham, Halton, Peel, York and Waterloo regions.

Related content:

Opposition parties cry foul at province's ice storm response

1. Frankie posted on 01/06/2014 03:28 PM
    For a Liberal gov't that has lied its way through office for over 10 years it's pretty funny that Chiarelli refers to BS.
  2. SG posted on 01/06/2014 05:34 PM
    Despite seeming to get away with all their scandals involving billions of wasted tax dollars this Liberal party may just well meet its just rewards (total defeat at the next election) because it messed up big time with a (relatively) few $100 gift cards. Perfect!
    1. Sam posted on 01/06/2014 05:44 PM
      @SG Keep dreaming!

You must be a desperate PC supporter to actually believe in that.

Or you must be a dumb-dumb Sun reader who will drink the kool-aid given to them.

I don't see ANY conservative doing anyhting else but complain that the destitute should go without food - JUST LIKE SCROOGE!!!
    2. SG posted on 01/06/2014 06:19 PM
      @Sam Surely you're not that naive to believe that those cards went to the destitute. The destitute like the folks who were seen getting out of their BMW to line up for a freebie?

If the Liberals wanted to make sure people who needed help got that help they would have given money to the pros to see it done. Pros like the food banks, the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, etc.

Sam, imagine all the people those wasted billions could have helped.
    3. Sam posted on 01/07/2014 02:48 PM
      @SG Are you taking about the $3 billion "misplaced" by Harper since 2007?

Is it the Liberal fault that (rich Conservatives) people abused the system?

Maybe we sould blame the Liberals for Paul Bernardo and all the evil people in the world too?
    4. Karl Burgin posted on 01/07/2014 04:35 PM
      @Sam I wouldn't go that far. Liberals aren't altogether bad. I believe people inherently (regardless of political association) have some measure of good and well intentions.
      But when they keep muffing up, over and over, for the last 10 years, at some point they gotta look in the mirror and self-evaluate. Instead of looking at someone else to blame.
    5. Sam posted on 01/07/2014 05:10 PM
      @Karl Burgin Well that is true... I will give that point.

Just remember to apply the same standard to Harper's "so-called" Conservative government (I mean that he is too much of a socialist for my liking).

P.S. I really don't think that the Liberals will have to face the electorate in 2014 (thanks to the NDP) and if they do, they will have the most seats at the end.
    6. AngryMary posted on 01/07/2014 06:04 PM
      @Sam What ever did happen to those missing Harper billions? On the bright side at least there's a chance that money can be recovered or well accounted for. In the case of the provincial Liberals all that money is gone. Wasted. Kaput.

Absolutely the Liberals fault that people of any political stripe abused the system. That's partly what all this fuss is about. Should have let the Food Banks or some other qualified group administer it.

Have no idea what Bernardo has to do with the gift card fiasco but the NDP attorney general at the time sure was partly guilty for allowing the deal with the devil, Karla Holmolka, to stand.

This isn't a Liberal-Conservative-NDP issue. It's an issue of a government abusing tax payer money. They should be kicked out of office for this.
    7. Sam posted on 01/07/2014 07:44 PM
      @AngryMary Angry,

That's great!

Harper can't find the money.

Do you think the money will show up?

So we should blame the Liberals for others abusing the system while trying to help those that are destitute!

So you think that the destitute should starve!

Glad I don't vote for the same party that you do!!!!

How is feeding the destitute abusing taxpayer money!

How about Harris selling the 407 for much less than it is worth. How about Hudak supporting the cancelation of the Eglington subway. He should be kicked out of office!

The list goes on!
    8. AngryMary posted on 01/07/2014 09:07 PM
      @Sam Huh? OK. I get it. You're being deliberately obtuse re: the gift cards. Cool.

What do Harris or Hudak have to do with anything? The Liberals have been in power for over TEN years. An Eglinton subway would have been a great thing to build. The Liberals could have built it as well as righted or mitigated all those perceived Conservative wrongs of the past. But the Liberals haven't, have they? Instead they've wasted all that money on all their scandals as documented by the provincial auditor general.

If you think the Liberals are the cat's meow then that's your prerogative. You must be one of the one-percenters who can withstand their inept governance. Enjoy!
    9. Sam posted on 01/07/2014 11:52 PM
      @AngryMary I don't think that the Liberals are competent.

But neither is any other leader at the provincial or federal level.

I'm not blinded by party loyalty like you are.

Harris, McGuinty and Harper are ALL screw-ups.

That's my point.

But I guess you missed that.
    10. Mark posted on 01/08/2014 07:16 AM
      @Sam You are right Sam. With idiots like you and the power of the bully teachers union goons on side with the stupid liberals it could be a tough fight.

Who would have thought that our goal in Ontario would to be more like Greece.

Such an idiot.
    11. Mark posted on 01/08/2014 07:23 AM
      @Sam Oh idiot Sam. That 3 billion dollar news bite holds no water. I guess your ears only hear what you want to hear as that little liberal fantasy was proven to not be true.

Besides, if it was true do you not think twinkle toes Justin and NDP dippers would be all over it ?
    12. Sam posted on 01/08/2014 01:28 PM
      @Mark I guess you are the idiot for not seeing that I am not defending the Liberals.

You are the idiot for not seeing that all parties treat us with contempt.

You obviously do not have anything smart to say as the best you can do is throw out insults.
  3. Karl Burgin posted on 01/07/2014 10:37 AM
    Bob Chairelli is BS- and anything that comes out of that man's mouth is BS.
    Him and his government absolutely do not respect the voters who put them where they are. They belittle and degrade the people of Ontario, and they expect to be rewarded for it. (Increase in cost of energy which amounts to a cup of coffee- even though employees are highly benefiting off the fatted-calf)
    I didn't think it was possible, but my already low expectations of the Liberals have somehow sunk even further.
  4. john posted on 01/07/2014 11:02 AM
    i dont care what ket loose says i whant a election .

we need to get rid of the useless scum bags . before it is to late .
  5. Dale posted on 01/07/2014 11:01 PM
    Not a Liberal supporter but I get sick and tired of the Conservatives trying to make everything negative. They tried to help people who needed it. Why did not the Conservative get out there and help people as opposed to sitting back trying to score political points. As a Conservative I am getting sick of the whole bunch of them.
    1. Sam posted on 01/08/2014 12:01 AM
      @Dale Finally great to see a Conservative who can see clearly.

I was going to vote for Hudak in 2011 but he decided to adopt McGuinty's policies.

I voted for Harris in '98 (my first eligible election) and I am still proud of it! So I plan to vote Liberal until Timmy is gone!
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 01/08/2014 10:10 AM
      @Sam I gather from your comments that you're not a fan of the Conservatives- of which you argue your points most succinctly. Which makes you one of the few on the other side of the fence which I respect.
      I'm no fan of Timmy as well. But Ontario is in a dire situation- and right now, the only way I see it, is to vote for the lesser of 3 evils. And we cannot keep using the excuse that Conservatives are bad, so the only alternative is to keep voting Liberal. Believe me- even the common culture the Conservative leadership has, of throwing their underlings under the bus for something they endorsed is enough to make my skin crawl- and of which I cannot ignore. I see this with Hudak, and certainly see this with Harper.
      But in the meantime, the Liberals have to go despite the fact. When they come into power, then we can make a fuss, that will hopefully steer them into being more responsible than the last administration.
    3. SG posted on 01/08/2014 10:45 AM
      @Dale You're not familiar with our parliamentary system? It's the Opposition's job to oppose. All parties in opposition do it. That's our political game. In this case the Conservatives don't control the purse strings so they don't have the ability to throw tax money out there to buy votes the way the Liberals have done. Make no mistake. Those gift cards are to buy votes, not to help the needy.

Are you John Tory in disguise, by chance? He's all for everybody pulling together regardless of political stripe for the common good. I can almost hear John Lennon singing Imagine as I type that. Unfortunately that's just a nice fantasy. Ain't gonna happen. Politics is an ugly business.
    4. Sam posted on 01/08/2014 01:22 PM
      @Karl Burgin I would vote for the PC's AGAIN if a leader like Harris who actually had PRINCIPLES and stuck to them.

To vote for the PC's that were going to spend like the Liberals did not make sense.

I do not trust Hudak to act like a fiscal conservative - so I will not vote for the PC's until he is gone.
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 01/08/2014 02:56 PM
      @Sam While that is true, don't you think it's rather irresponsible of voting the Liberals again nonetheless. Honestly I'm tired of being thumbed at, and then my taxes/expenses raised.
      In Hudak's case, there has to be a way to hold him accountable (to help satisfy your fears). I agree, that when his PC leadership was in question, someone else should have taken the ranks then from him. Somehow he survived, and he's here to stay. I'm no big fan of his either but he's the only other alternative Ontario has- unless the Green party has something good to offer. The NDPs unfortunately have now become Liberals in sheep's clothing. Used to like Horwath- until she decided to shack-up with Wynne.
    6. Sam posted on 01/08/2014 03:02 PM
      @Karl Burgin So you want me to vote for someone I don't trust to spend my money wisely?

What's the point of switching my vote to the PC's?
    7. Karl Burgin posted on 01/08/2014 03:12 PM
      @Sam Try not to think of it like that.
      For instance, we don't know for sure if Hudak won't spend money wisely. We sure as hell know for sure that the Liberals currently don't- and they don't seem to be ashamed about it. And it doesn't like it will be anytime soon that they will be willing to change their ways. If it were Andrea Horwath, before she went to bed with the Liberals, I would have opted for her actually.

What I'm saying, is that we should put someone else at the helm- that's all. Like I said, the choices are far from great. It's almost like a game of pick your poison- and see which does the least damage.
      The fact is there isn't much time left, and we have to make do with what we got. If we had more time, I would prefer someone else take over the role of Hudak (Tory maybe, Holyday preferably), and then things will look better.

But, as the situation stands, the Liberals are crying for money in one instance, and blowing through it on the other.
    8. Sam posted on 01/08/2014 04:59 PM
      @Karl Burgin Well I do not see it that way.

But we will agree to disagree!

Had a great chat!
    9. AngryMary posted on 01/08/2014 09:06 PM
      @Sam Come on, Sam. Don't be embarrassed to admit you're a Liberal. There's a lot of misguided folks like you out there.

You called Harris a "screw up" earlier. Now you're saying you'd vote for a Conservative leader if he was like Harris.

Earlier you said that ALL Conservatives wanted the destitute to starve to death. If you believe that how could you ever support a Conservative government again?

Earlier you claimed that Harper is too socialist for you and yet you defend the Liberal socialist ideology that all problems can be solved by throwing money at them without proper checks and balances, e.g.. the now infamous gift cards that started this whole discussion.

You don't like Hudak because you say he supported McGuinty's policies and you THINK he won't spend wisely and yet you support Wynne who supports McGuinty's policies. Those very policies that resulted in wasted billions.
      Wasting billions is OK with you. I guess you think Hudak will waste trillions.

Your logic is difficult to comprehend but yes, I really, really believe a die-hard, one-percenter Liberal such as yourself would vote Conservative once Hudak is gone.
    10. Karl Burgin posted on 01/09/2014 09:17 AM
      @Sam Cheers! ;p
  6. Mark posted on 01/08/2014 07:12 AM
    Is there ONE file that the idiot liberals have managed properly. Is there at least one liberal minister who does not act like a condescending ass every time he or she speaks. The answer is NO.

All the idiot liberals have done is waste our money and lower our standard of living. BUT, the good news for them is that they have solidified support from all the piggy teachers and their hog faced union thugs by paying these bullies piles of our cash in turn for support at the polls.

Funny how this "education government" has not improved the education for our kids and the pig union force poor teachers on us yet these pig teachers are the second highest paid teachers in the world today.

What do you think of City Hall's plan to narrow traffic lanes on Toronto's streets and roads?