WATCH: Province hopes to get math scores up

Education Minister Liz Sandals says students 'could do better'

The province's education minister wants your kids to be better at math.

So that means some Ontario teachers are going back to school, taking courses upgrade their math skills. The province's education minister says there's $4 million set aside for subsidies.

It's part of a new initiative announced after 67 per cent of the Grade 3 students and even fewer Grade 6 students met the provincial standard for math.

While Liz Sandals wouldn't say students have done poorly on the tests, she stressed they could do better.

Sandals says the province also wants to explore how technology would help - both in class and at home - and also have teachers use a variety of in-class techniques to teach math.

1. Frankie posted on 01/08/2014 02:54 PM
    So we have teachers lacking in math ability teaching kids math. That's almost as sad as continually voting for the Liberals again and again. Another example of the race to the bottom, and how sad for our school kids.
  2. Stacey posted on 01/08/2014 04:15 PM
    My personal experience with this ... When my daughter was in Grade 7 four years ago, I sat in a Parent Council meeting and heard the principal declare that this particular school needed to get its literacy scores up! He shamefully admitted to a roomful of parents that most of the resources had been put toward increasing Literacy scores, and Math had kind of taken a back seat! Unbelievable! Our education system is in very, very, very bad shape! I personally have little faith left in the system :( There has been way too much money thrown at trying to fix a terribly broken system. I have been fortunate enough to be able to afford a great tutor to work with my daughter over the years to fill in any holes. Not everyone has that option :(
  3. Me posted on 01/08/2014 04:54 PM
    Technology can be a great tool at school and home but only for the famillies that can afford it - not always possible.
    If the teachers knew how to teach, technology wouldn't be needed. When I was at school there was not technology but the teachers we had were good at explaining and helping.
    It's not something that can be taught to teachers, they either can or can't do it. They are no different than any of us. Some things I know how to do I can show someone else or help but some things I know how to do but have difficulty properly explaining to someone else.
  4. Walter posted on 01/08/2014 04:56 PM
    Although teacher are not good at maths, it has always been that way.

The biggest problem is the curriculum, which is set by the Province and not the School Boards or teachers. Go back to the basics and then the score will improve. The only way to correct this is to bring in a competent government who will set a proper curriculum.
    The reason we pay the teachers is to teach our kids, not to vote Liberal. Teachers are not props to obtain votes, they are teachers who can implement a well thought out program if given the chance.
  5. RandyW posted on 01/08/2014 08:27 PM
    When I first heard this from the John Tory Show I was at first shocked and then angry. I was shock that John was saying that this is a good thing. Then I was angry because again this is a blantant vote buying skeem again awarded to the teachers of this province. These Liberals are buying favour with the Teacher Unions so that they will vote for said Liberals. There is no shame at all in this government. Again I say that the publicv sector should not be able to vote for their employer at our, the taxerpayer, expense. When will we the tax payers say enough! Stand up and be counted and vote no to these Liberals. I would also like to add, that if the teacher can't teach grade 3 and or 6 math, HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET A LICENCE TO TEACH IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!
  6. Karl Burgin posted on 01/09/2014 09:57 AM
    This should have been the case of re-teaching how to teach math to kids, instead of teachers taking math all over again to better understand it themselves.
    I didn't mind math, but the system was a failure for me- especially during OAC in high-school with Calculus. Had to end up going with a tutor.

Here's an idea though- how about NOT writing the exam, and then teaching math subjects on the fly in order to catch up with what's on the exam. Because that's what I had to deal with, and what I kept hearing from friends.
    Math is more abstract than the other subjects (especially advance level), and thus requires more time to teach.

Now that Labour Day has come and gone the spotlight on the mayoral election gets brighter leading up to October 27th. Of the leading candidates who would you support if the election were held today?