NEWS

City proposes taxi "vomit fee"
Suggesting drivers get the ability to charge a passenger that "soils" a vehicle
4 0

The result of a review of the taxi industry first ordered in 2011 will come to the Licensing and Standards Committee next week, containing 40 recommendations from city staff.

The recommendations include a new $25 "vomit" fee that can be charged if a passenger "soils" a vehicle and studying the possibility of equipping every vehicle with electronic payment options.

Among the recommendations includes one to allow drivers the option of charging passengers $25 dollars as soon as they get in the vehicle, which like paying before you pump gas, is seen as a way to keep drivers safer and prevent people from skipping payment.

City staff believe the changes, many of which that are centred around the way cabs are licensed, will keep fares in line, by cutting out some of the middlemen in the current system.

Toronto's taxi rates are some of the highest among comparable North American cities.

No rate increase is being recommended and there is a call for a study on shields that separate a passenger and a driver.

If approved the new recommendations would require anyone acquiring a new taxi license to ensure their vehicle was equipped to handle passengers in wheelchairs.

Categories:

1. Frankie posted on 01/17/2014 09:50 AM
    Ridiculous that every new cab has to be specially equipped for wheelchairs and typical of the idiots at city hall. I hope someone takes it to court as it forces new licenses to be uncompetitive with existing ones.

Why not estimate the percent of usage by disabled people then mandate that every taxi company has to have three times that number of equipped cabs in their fleet.

I guess that'd be too sensible for councillors to comprehend.
  2. Landlord posted on 01/17/2014 09:57 AM
    If I was a taxi driver and some idiot drunk barfed in my cab then $25 could never cover the cost of cleaning it up or for the time wasted. Instead, I would just pull the ass out of my cab, punch him in the face, and leave him at the side of the road. Screw the 25 bucks, and for that matter - keep the fee.
  3. john posted on 01/17/2014 11:17 AM
    if a politician came into my cab i will charge him a builshit tax . the same if one came into my store . i would charge him %50 .
    1. Rik posted on 01/17/2014 11:39 AM
      @john Politicians and Cops make me vomit and I don't mind vomiting in their presence and have the option pay for it

DON'T MISS

AIRPORT TUNNEL

THE BILLY BISHOP TORONTO CITY AIRPORT TUNNEL

PortsToronto will open a new pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport on July 30th, which will serve as a significant piece of infrastructure that will provide travellers with fast, convenient and reliable access to the airport

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

4 0

1. Frankie posted on 01/17/2014 09:50 AM

I guess that'd be too sensible for councillors to comprehend.
  2. Landlord posted on 01/17/2014 09:57 AM