WATCH/LISTEN: "Yes. I was drinking last night"

Video shows the mayor speaking in a Jamaican accent

Mayor Rob Ford has admitted to drinking, after a new 'unflattering' video of the Mayor surfaced online.

In the one minute video, the Mayor is seen speaking in a Jamaican accent to someone off camera.

Rob Ford is recorded in a suit, standing in front of a counter at a fast food restaurant speaking about how he was chased around for five months.

Most of what Ford is saying is hard to make out, but his focus is about being followed.

He's heard swearing multiple times in Jamaican 'patois.'

Ford admitted the video was shot at 'Steak Queen' on Rexdale Blvd, on Monday night.

The online description alleges the mayor was drunk and that the video was taken on Monday.

He was wearing similar clothing at city hall on Monday as he was in the video.

Shortly before 4:30 on Tuesday Ford spoke to reporters, admitting that it was, in fact, him in that video.

He also admitted to drinking on Monday night.

"A little bit", he told reporters.

But Mayor Ford defended his actions telling reporters it had nothing to do with 'you guys' and that it was 'on my own time'.

You can hear the full audio here:

Newstalk 1010's Justine Lewkowicz stopped by Steak Queen tonight and spoke with customers, one of whom says he was there that night.

The customer, who did not want to give his name, says he arrived at about 10:15 p.m. with a group of friends who had just played in a basketball game. He says they approached the mayor, who had been talking to a "middle-aged white man," to say hi.

He says they talked about basketball and sports and seeing the mayor at Fitness 365.

The Steak Queen customer says the mayor seemed normal, not intoxicated, while he and his friends were there for about half an hour. The mayor was still in the restaurant, he says, when his group left.

Listen to what customers had to say:

His brother, Councillor Doug Ford, who is also Rob's campaign manager for the upcoming municipal vote, says it's clear the video contains images of his brother.

That being said, Doug denied it was shot last night saying 'Rob's much heavier in that picture, than what he is right now.'

He also says he spoke to his brother over the phone around 10:30 on Monday night.

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Angry Bill posted on 01/21/2014 03:29 PM
    Haha, this stuff is gold.

If it was taken Monday, that day was kinda cold.. he's got no coat on.

And if it was taken on Monday, he says he was chased around for 5 months.. it would be longer than that by now, wouldn't it? Wouldn't it be closer to 8 months?

Anyway, loved the footage.
    1. r2d2 posted on 01/21/2014 03:36 PM
      @Angry Bill smoke some crack have some drinks who needs a coat you wouldn't feel the cold either but razz claus give me some jerk Irie mon i'm starving
  2. dama posted on 01/21/2014 03:32 PM
    Looking at this,, it was an old video to me,,
    look at his weight, compare to the video he did on the Olympic bid
    yesterday, his jaw is slimmer an this video his face was rounder

Opposition planting the video to discredit Rob Ford ?
    John Tory, Olivia Chow? ahh I see, these 2 are afraid of losing
    if they do declare to run for mayor...
    1. r2d2 posted on 01/21/2014 03:39 PM
      @dama i think it was doctored the video. remember the eagle stealing the baby video? The eagle picked up Rob on the street in the park found him to heavy and dropped down beside a jerk place haha...
    2. john posted on 01/22/2014 10:29 AM
      @dama na john Tory is not that stupid chow maybe . maybe even wong ton . my guss would be karen stinz more then anyone .
  3. Karl Burgin posted on 01/21/2014 03:36 PM
    1.>Who the hell cares, and what does this have to do about anything?
    2.>Ford looks bigger in this video, than what I've seen recently. If this suggests this was taken on Monday, I find it nigh impossible to put back pounds on that quick
    3.>Who cares???
    4.>Funny that they fail to mention the restaurant- even though the way the menu looks, this was taken inside of a Wendy's
    5.>Why is this news?
    6.>The reason Toronto is a laughing stock around and in the south, is because of videos like this. So instead of persecuting the man, go after the punk who shot this and gave it to the media; and then go after the fool(s) who releases this to the public, that thinks this is what we need concern ourselves with
    7.>Again, I care more about how the city of Toronto is run. Not if the mayor speaks patois or is in a fast-food joint. $10 bucks that this is somehow related to the Star
    1. donny p. posted on 01/21/2014 03:48 PM
      @Karl Burgin #4, how deep inside Wendy?
    2. REALITY BITES posted on 01/21/2014 04:22 PM
      @Karl Burgin Nice try, delusional Karl.
      1> Because he's supposed to be the mayor
      2> Anyone who desires electing responsible people in responsible positions
      3> Anyone who desires electing responsible people in responsible positions
      4> Wendy's serves soft drinks only from Coca-Cola not Pepsico
      5> Because he's supposed to be the mayor
      6> Without the buffoon to film, there would be no video
      7> Another Star plot ... rich.

Go back to your basement computer techie goof.
  4. KarenW_5 posted on 01/21/2014 04:04 PM
    This is a BS story and you should be ashamed for airing it, as every other media outlet is doing. Just take a look at the National Post article from yesterday and you see Ford beside Kelly, looking sideways as he is in this video. Yesterday he was wearing a light blue shirt and blue striped tie. In this video he's in white shirt, red tie. More importantly, in this video he is far bigger than he is in yesterday's pictures. I am getting sick and tired of people trying to make stories out of nothing, Katie Franzios, you should be ashamed.
    1. donny p. posted on 01/21/2014 04:26 PM
      @KarenW_5 Nope, all the papers are reporting that it's EXACTLY what he was wearing yesterday...the picture you refer to was from last week.
    2. KarenW_5 posted on 01/21/2014 07:17 PM
      @KarenW_5 Well, I guess I was hoping for better. You were right, I was wrong. He needs to get help. He needs to go away and get help, professional, sound help, away from the media and circus that is his undoing. He really did seem to be doing much better. I am so glad I don't live in the city. I'm done, don't want to hear or talk about him anymore and 1010 just keeps going on and on, everyone has an opinion and I'm tired of it. So, at least for a little while, I'll switch my channel back to music from talk radio
  5. Julie posted on 01/21/2014 04:06 PM
    David McKee just stated that he was drunk? Does he know this for certain? Is he determining that based on watching the video? Wow, he should replace breathalizers for Toronto Police if he's able to know this by just looking at a video. Impressive!
    1. HP posted on 01/21/2014 04:23 PM
      @Julie Wow, he's wearing the same suit and tie (with identical lapel pin) that he wore to city hall on Monday, Jan. 20. And already Doug is out there lying that it's not yesterday's video. Either Rob is drunk, on crack, or mentally ill.

It deja vu all over again. And those Ford Nation zealots are in full denial. You can't make this stuff up.
  6. MH posted on 01/21/2014 04:11 PM
    Wasn't taken recently.

He certainly knows a lot of Jamaican curse words. Yikes!

A real potty mouth.

I'm Jamaican so I would know.
  7. Frankie posted on 01/21/2014 04:11 PM
    Come on folks! Chief Bill Blair can tell you the exact details of this video as they've been following him around for months.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 01/21/2014 04:41 PM
      @Frankie "I am disappointed"- at the person who took this. Crappy video....
  8. Frankie posted on 01/21/2014 04:40 PM
    I really hope this is an old video taken before Ford started to clean up his act.

If it is every councillor, journalist, newscaster, etc. that slammed him needs to apologize.

If it's recent I believe it will hurt his chances in the next election.
  9. Frankie posted on 01/21/2014 04:40 PM

If it's recent I believe it will hurt his chances in the next election.
    1. JC posted on 01/21/2014 04:48 PM
      @Frankie it was shot last night. confirmed! oh oh!
      i guess the come to Jesus moment came and left
  10. JC posted on 01/21/2014 04:46 PM
    I don't drink anymore!
    1. Jordan Cat posted on 01/21/2014 05:16 PM
      @JC ..."but I don't drink any less", as the old joke goes.
  11. gayforford posted on 01/21/2014 05:01 PM
    also the people in the fast food place are all wearing summer wear and shoes and mayor seems bigger. Not surprise the video is out mayor is popular again that's what the left does they are so boring.
    1. 55555 posted on 01/21/2014 07:40 PM
      @gayforford The mayor is hardly "popular" again. 40-49% approval rating (which is where he has hovered for the last 36 months) is really low for a mayor. Lastman is an example of a popular mayor because he won 80% of the vote in 2000 and was fairly consistently getting 60%+ approval ratings.

Ohh and Ford has admitted to this so you are wrong about this taking place in the summer.
  12. Niels Schonberg posted on 01/21/2014 05:16 PM
    Can an elected official have a drink? Answer: Of course.

The issue arises when he previously mentioned that he was in a drunken stupor when he did crack cocaine. He personally swore off alcohol because of this. Obviously he cannot control his impulses and needs help, Let's get him some help.
  13. kat posted on 01/21/2014 05:57 PM
    OMG...what is so embarrassing is his Jamaican patwa, I guess his "Bros" did not have the time to teach him, stick to proper english Rob and please someone put him out of his embarrassing agony and stick a chicken leg in his mouth
  14. M posted on 01/21/2014 06:41 PM
    I work for Pepsi and this video is great advertising. Thanks Rob!
  15. AC posted on 01/21/2014 07:14 PM
    I would love to see what he does when he's not caught on video.
    probably no change! crack/alcohol/gangs all the time. he might of taken a vacation for a week or two but no change.
  16. Frankie posted on 01/21/2014 07:45 PM
    If only the media had given half the Ford coverage to McGuinty and his Liberals, with all their scandals. Caledonia, mismanagement of the economy, perhaps voters might have been a little more thoughtful in subsequent elections.

What the Liberals have done is a thousand times worse than the Ford mess yet the media didn't devote enough airtime to it. Too bad, because the damage they've caused is worse than the Ford mess.

That should make Ontario a real laughing stock around the world. Too bad the media tends to be left of center, focusing more on right wing failings than on what has greater impact.
    1. tanjo posted on 01/21/2014 10:59 PM
      @Frankie McGuinty bailed before the media could get him. Most of the cabinet from the responsible ministries are gone. They just pre-empted the media attacks.

If Ford had just admitted to his mistakes at the time the scandal first broke and resigned, then none of this additional coverage would have happened, and he would actually be in a good position going into the next election.

Because he didn't, and rather claimed he was now a clean, lean fighting machine, he basically dared his detractors to prove him wrong.

And they did.
  17. alex posted on 01/21/2014 09:41 PM
    when i see these kind of video from Rob ford, i get more motivated to vote for him
    there are some people here with lot of time on their hands and want to destroy the mayor no matter what, but guess what guys i am 100 percent behind mayor ford and i will bring at least 40 votes for this guy
    get life people and leave the man do his job instead of putting your nose where it doesn't belong
  18. tanjo posted on 01/21/2014 11:08 PM
    Offering a different perspective. Notice how Dougie went immediately into denial mode while Rob quickly admitted it.

I have noticed this a few times now, and I wonder how much differently things would have turned out if he didn't listen so much to his brother.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 01/22/2014 08:56 AM
      @tanjo That is true here- and I do feel for Doug Ford.
      In response to your earlier comment, about it being relevant and disappointing, I thought I would post it here. Didn't feel like drowning in Mr. Reality cesspool of inane insanity.

I am disappointed- not at Rob Ford, but at the guy who took this video, and then shopped it around to the highest bidder. Because what resulted was as expected. It got blared all over the news media. The late night circuit down south got hold of it and ran with the material- and once again, Toronto is cast in a bad lime-light.
      If the mayor was posing for the video while it was being shot, or if he was in city hall brandishing brandy, I would be disappointed in Ford. He was sneakily caught in the moment. Of which no one seems to want to regard. Pretty much all the hosts (both here and AM 640) says that Rob Ford has bad decisions when it comes to friends. I highly doubt that a "friend" took this video.
      And I also shudder at the thought that there may have been other incidences where there were cameras on Ford at the ready, should he act in a similar way, but never came to fruition. This type of "gotcha" moments have got to stop.
      And about the mayor on call 24/7 is just hogwash. There is such a thing as personal time of some sort. I'm pretty sure that the police chief isn't on the ball 24/7- what if he was in a gala having a few drinks? Are we going to criticize? Or if another mayor was at some function and became tipsy, and at that moment he was needed, what would happen? I am assuming that is the reason why they have deputy mayors, to help alleviate this problem. If the hard-core haters like to get on the mayors back, that he has no personal time, and its a 24/7 mayor, any future prospect with substance is not going to run.
      And I also heard this argument too, and I fully agree- that this is on par with online bullying. And when I see news media reveling in it, while teaching young kids that its wrong, I see the double-standard. And it doesn't matter if its a public official, a kid, or private citizen. Bullying is bullying across the board- and this qualifies.
  19. John Letonja posted on 01/21/2014 11:50 PM
    Rob Ford is not to smart for a smart guy.
    He should not say anything, or be where he can be ridiculed and taped by his so called friends that will use it against him.
    I know he is stressed out and do not know how to reacted or deal with it to anyone and to the media.
    My advice to him is relaxes and think be com, do not lie, do not hide, anything be professional and get right to the point, and leave your personal life out of it, and have a good business sense and stay away from your so called friends that want to hang you out to dry.
  20. laohu667 posted on 01/22/2014 12:48 AM
    Who cares? It is not working time.
    1. REALITY BITES posted on 01/22/2014 03:27 AM
      @laohu667 No ... apparently the mayor-in-name-only's working time is from 2:15 pm to 4:30 pm. Nice work if you can get it.
  21. Ken posted on 01/22/2014 03:33 AM
    He is the mayor 24 / 7 while he is in office. Taxpayers have a right to expect to be represented by a sober, intelligent, honest, law abiding person who represents them and the city in only the best possible light.
    He's made himself and Toronto the laughing stock of the world because of his immature antics...and you are very wrong if you think that doesn't reflect on the city in the eyes of the world. He may have saved some people money on taxes, but at what cost to everyone else?
    He also appears to be getting special treatment; if you hang with drug dealers you do so for a reason.
    Did he not do a television interview in which he stated he would never take another drink?
    Again, he is a bitter disappointment.
    Of course, he will claim it never happened, then he will apologize, claim he is not an alcoholic, maybe shed a tear, then just go back to being the idiot that he is.
  22. justsaying posted on 01/22/2014 09:20 AM
    To those in Ford Nation who say: "What he does on his own time is his own business" I say - BUNK! As the city's highest official (literally and figuratively) much more is expected of him than being a drunk.

He lied about smoking crack, then admitted to using and purchasing drugs while mayor - then said he was off booze and drugs since November - and now we see the lies again.

Now I know why he would not submit himself to drug/alcohol tests. If I was in his position and was cleaning up, I would readily submit them...daily. Yet, he didn't cause he lies to his followers....constantly>>>>>

Stand up for him all you want, he is a joke, a drunk, and he cares not one bit for your belief in him, as he constantly lies to you...yet Ford Nation eats it up. The Ford Nation is just a notion....
  23. DW posted on 01/22/2014 09:21 AM
    Absolute silence from the Federal Minister of Finance and Minister Responsible for Toronto, The Steak Queen and Defending Robbie ...................... crickets .................but then also crickets about the slide in the dollar and increasing unemployment

Yep our guy is going from Mayor to Mr. Etobicoke....................haha
  24. john posted on 01/22/2014 11:04 AM
    now time to get a video of Justin trudo smoking weed and this ill be all over with in no time .
  25. justsaying posted on 01/22/2014 11:39 AM
    If you believe that, then you need to take your head out of your behind.

Ok, if there was a video of Justin smoking crack that he denied ever existed but blamed the media for telling lies; then is seen by police surveillance ditching bottles of vodka, while coaching High School Football; then admits to using crack and going on benders once the video he said never existed is proved to exist; then says he has changed and is 100% sober; then shows up DRUNK on video (again) - yes Justin would have some major explaining to do.

This is quite different. Rob has actually done all this. Yet you would defend him? Bunk!

On his own time, or on company/city time makes no difference for the person who hold the city's highest (literally and figuratively) position. Lies are lies.

(Honestly, if Rob was smoking the occasional joint, I don't think anyone would care. It's the "I don't use, I used, I no longer use, I promise you I no longer use anything, I continue to use...so what?" that is unacceptable.
showing 1-25 of 26 comments · show all comments

What are your plans for the Easter Weekend?