Councillor Ford worries jury duty could endanger his family

The Toronto Sun reports that the councillor has asked to be excuse from serving on a jury

Doug Ford
CTV News

Councillor Doug Ford is trying to get himself out of jury duty, saying that he thinks it would endanger his family.

Ford tells the Toronto Sun that while he believes in the justice system and would love to serve as a jury member, he is afraid his family could become a target.

He says if a person is convicted and feels vengeful, he or she could easily find his address and contact information.

Newstalk 1010 legal analyst Edward Prutschi says councillor Ford might not be a good choice as a juror anyway.

"If I were a Crown attorney in particular, knowing how many times that Doug Ford, specifically, has been critical of police in the last little while, I'm not sure he's the guy that I want there," Prutschi says.

The Sun reports that Ford will be back in the jury pool on Tuesday.

1. Brandon H posted on 02/03/2014 10:50 PM
    Just regular folk right? He and his family are just like everyone else. Looking out for the little guy. I mean, ignoring the fact that anyone can look up info about anyone else if they try hard enough, so really he and his family are in just as much harm as anyone else on jury duty.

Get out of here with your special snowflake privilege Doug.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 02/04/2014 11:42 AM
      @Brandon H Well, I am a bit mixed on this- leaning more towards agreeing with BRANDON H. Yeah, I could possibly see the media on Doug Ford in this setting like white on rice, but I'm sure (hoping) that the court system has a mechanism in place to deter that type of thing.

But overall, it's jury duty. If Doug makes that excuse and gets away with it, what's to stop anybody else trying the same thing? Doug really shouldn't be trying to wiggle his way out of it. If your number's up, you gotta go. Just think of it as going to a dentist appointment- it will be over soon before you know it.
    2. dama posted on 02/04/2014 02:26 PM
      @Karl Burgin A few years ago I received a notice for jury duty, being it the 1st time, I went but my company will not pay for days I spent in court waiting to be selected and the court only compensate for travel,, so I went and wasted 2 days sitting and waiting, so wasnt selected and the whole group was sent home.

The 2nd time, again I received a jury notice but ths time I wrote to the court to be excused, citing health reason and the court approved, so I escaped that routine again..

I believed with to day's technology jury selection can be done without going to the chamber in a court house, why cant we be interviewed via skype or Facetime?..
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 02/04/2014 04:46 PM
      @dama In some cases I can see technology acting as a substitute. Not quite sure how it would work with larger or more important cases.
      But it sucks that you lose money going to court- especially when its not by choice.
  2. justsaying posted on 02/05/2014 04:44 PM
    I had to spend 5 weeks as a juror on a major trial. My work paid part of my salary while serving. Most enlightened companies do this. I tried to get out but workload and responsibilities were not enough for the judge. In the end, I feel I helped make a contribution to our society. Bad guys are off the street.

The case involved people of colour. Some potential jurors asked to be excused because of their racist beliefs. Nice eh? Hope their karma isn't paying attention.

Doug is like the rest of us. Anyone about to be a potential juror has to state in the open court their name and what they do for a living. That is enough for any defense or crown attorney to find out everything about you....and pass it to their clients if they are unscrupulous. In short, Doug, unless it is a Mob or Biker trial, you are safe.

Or are you above being a citizen and uphold your part of the bargain?

Man up. I am sure all the councilor work you do (which includes what other than standing up for Rob daily/ hourly and being made a fool by his antics?) can go on without you. It will after the next election Dude
  3. Greg H posted on 02/05/2014 04:55 PM
    Simple solution, kids. Get yourself a record when you're young. I was convicted of mischief under $1000 when I was 18 for busting up a bus shelter. No jury duty for me!
    1. donny p. posted on 02/05/2014 05:11 PM
      @Greg H And that's why Robby, the convicted felon, will never serve on a jury. It's a good thing as he's always defending the thugs and rationalizing their criminal behaviour. I can see Robby, the retard, sitting on the Bieber jury..."but he's only 19, let those that were without sin when they were 19 cast the first stone"...makes me laugh.

Will you still make travel plans to Cuba, even though vacation costs are expected to "surge"?