Project Brazen 2 still "very active"

Det Sgt Gary Giroux tells CP24 that his mandate to investigate any criminality surrounding the mayor is "actively continuing"

Mayor Rob Ford
CTV News

The detective leading the probe into mayor Rob Ford says the investigation is still "very active."

Det Sgt Gary Giroux joined our sister station CP24 this afternoon and was asked about Project Brazen 2.

He says he still has all of his investigators intact and they are still conducting interviews.

"My original mandate is to investigate any criminality involved in the mayor or the mayor's office and that is actively continuing," Giroux says.

Project Brazen 2 led to the arrest of the mayor's friend, Sandro Lisi, who was charged with four drug offences. Lisi was also charged with extortion in relation to a video that appears to show mayor Ford smoking crack cocaine.

1. r2d2 posted on 02/03/2014 04:11 PM
    something didn't smell right from the beginning why Ford seams to be getting a pass on a lot of this with no charges. cops knew he was in the crackhouse, his friends and criminal associates. I have full confidence in our police force to treat him no different than anyone else. that's why i don't think we have even heard the worst of it yet. the police know their job and will do it right
    1. donny p. posted on 02/03/2014 04:19 PM
      @r2d2 There's a lot going on. The jailhouse beating of his former brother-in-law, the murder and wounding of two of the men in that crack house photo, the beating of his wife, the trafficking of drugs...they can't get him on the drunk driving, but investigating Robby is like eating an oyster...the more they chew, the bigger it gets.
  2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/03/2014 04:29 PM
    Hehe...
    It seems the police are giving it their all to charge the mayor with anything- since a jay walking charge isn't enough.
    1.> It's amusing how hard the police are on this. I doubt the corruption charges for the Montreal mayor took this long. But it is cute to watch them run around in circles
    2.>Whenever there is some statement or 'break through' the timing of the announcement is always so circumspect. Spidey- senses tingling here...

I'm just curious what they get out of all this in the end....and the cost that would warrant such a witch-hunt. Guess anything will do, so the police can keep their budget up...
    1. Truth-Not Spin posted on 02/03/2014 06:48 PM
      @Karl Burgin Don't let your curiosity get the better of you, and be careful what you wish for.

This is taking a seemingly long time for at least two reasons.
      First - it must be air-tight considering the position to which Mr. Ford clings.
      Secondly - considering the cadre of less than upstanding people Mr. Ford chums with - the many avenues being opened up in this process, without question, are leading to other revelations which must also be investigated, in order to piece it all together.

Also, there is nothing "cute" about the the need to uncover everything potentially attached to this embarrassment of a civic leader. A mature individual should show more class than to post such drivel as you just have.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/03/2014 07:47 PM
      @Truth-Not Spin Ok... thanks for the niceties....lol. You kinda sound like me on a bad day. So I won't take the insults to heart. Especially the last part- ouch!

But seriously, I was just find it becoming that the police are taking this so seriously, and being tight-lipped about it. Especially after the fact that:
      *Bill Blair found it necessary to blabber stuff about the infamous video- or to even hold a conference at all. If you cannot discuss the contents of what you have because of the process, then why double-back to disclose some of what the 'evidence' contains. This after many months of refusing to comment on anything
      *That the court system comes out to play as well- but releasing court documents like it 's some type of Chinese water torture. A case that is solely about someone else that's on trial, but embarrasses someone else who wasn't (at the time) the focus of an investigation. Not to mention the after-math which threw Toronto into a tail-spin of a media tornado- with coverage world-wide- for better and/or for worse

I can go on and on, but I already know how many of my 'friends' hate reading my essays- short attention span I guess.

The article is what it is. And I don't necessarily have an issue with their 'investigation'. But back to my point about this being compared to the case in Montreal concerning their mayor, he was in office for 6 months or so. And the police were quickly able to get their ducks in a row, and at least charge him with something.
      All the haters out there label Ford as a buffoon- and yet he is somehow able to outwit the police- to the point where they can't charge him with anything- despite all the heavy smoke. It does bring into question, their competency. And into question, their objectivity. It would have been a lot more efficient, if they brought in a third-party to investigate (i.e. OPP).

But good for you- for not reducing this to mindless insults. There's not very many on the other side of the fence, I can say the same to.
    3. Kelly posted on 02/03/2014 08:02 PM
      @Truth-Not Spin "Clings". Perfect description of Rob Ford. Excellent response.
    4. Truth-Not Spin posted on 02/04/2014 12:40 AM
      @Karl Burgin By replacing the term "cute" with "becoming" does not lessen the fact that you are still denying what appears to be inevitable - future charges against a man who may very be deeply immersed in a world where few would dare to tread. We just have to wait for the department to finish its due diligence or risk having Ford defenders such as yourself refer to it as a rush to judgement - a much worse scenario.
      Chief Blair's "blabbering" as you condescendingly put it was likely seen as necessary by him - for reasons of possible leaks within his department - acting as a spoiler to potential results.
      As to the release of court documents as "Chinese water torture" - again with the attempted sardonic twist? This is a tactic often used in order to catch mistakes being made by those about to be charged - to further nail things down air-tight.
      The police in Montreal have much more experience with civic malfeasance than either the Toronto Police, the OPP or the RCMP for that matter - thus the ability to find the problems more expeditiously. What you have written off as inefficiency is more likely inexperience and the necessity to have their own ducks in a row.
      Finally, despite the willingness of a few (18% at last count), to think otherwise, Mr. Ford is indeed a buffoon - a clumsy, lumbering, erratic one at that - and the charges that will inevitably come will prove that fact in spades. The sad thing is, should these potential charges not be laid prior to election day, there will still be that 18% or so of the electorate who will still vote for the man out of some twisted idea that he is a "regular guy" or because they mistakenly think he has saved them a buck or two - which, of course, is again in error.
    5. donny p. posted on 02/04/2014 09:43 AM
      @Karl Burgin Spidey- senses tingling??????...you truly are sissy.
    6. Karl Burgin posted on 02/04/2014 09:45 AM
      @Truth-Not Spin Wow....ok
      1.> Future charges against the mayor? You make it sound like its an assured thing. Except, I can't help but recall the number of times the mayor has been to court on a number of occasions (on other matters), and managed to beat those- despite the logic and advice of professionals, experts and ex-politicians.
      You're mistake is you think you have the whole story. I'm betting there is more to come, and I'm also interested in hearing a defense from the mayor- of which we have still heard little of.
      Don't be so quick to rush to judgement. And this isn't an excuse from me defending the mayor. During the conflict-of-interest period, as much as I was a supporter of the mayor then too, I was actually more fearful of him losing his job then.
      2.>Your explanation of chief Blair's babbling, really comes off as an excuse. And another reason why this should have been investigated by a third (objective) party, than the Toronto Police.
      3.>And your explanation of Judge Nordheimer playing along, as some sort of tactic- you are seriously reaching there. Say for a moment I agree with you there, and that the documents should have been released. Why do it in such a fashion- a little bit here, and a little bit there. Why not dump the entire thing, after you've edited out the parts eligible for public consumption. It's all about optics- and the perception here shows Nordheimer was playing into the public/media's hand.
      When you even have Clayton Ruby questioning the motives as to how these documents were being released, it does make one question the timing, the method, and the motive.
      And to your point that this is a tactic used to catch mistakes by those being charged, you said it yourself. With the key word being CHARGED. Mr. Ford wasn't, and still isn't CHARGED with anything.
      4.>And to your explanation that the Montreal police has more experience with such matters concerning civic malfeasance and corruption- why not the Toronto Police consult with them, or bring them in help. If they have more experience, that seems like common sense to me. But remember, these are the same police, that a lot of people in Toronto like to hate on- especially for their inefficiency, and sometimes lack of good judgement.
      5.>OK....so again I was right, in that you people think he is a buffoon. Are we talking about his performance in office, or his private life.
      Because if we are talking about his private life, that should be off-limits. And it doesn't matter the politician. I don't want to hear about this excuse about his job being 24/7. Does that count when he is on vacation? In the hospital? Some emergency? I'm sure there are ways City Council, and the Deputy mayor can deal with such issues, should they ever arise. But the mayor is entitled to private time too- the same as any other profession- whether it be in the public/private sphere.
      Or are we talking about the buffoonery being his performance in office? Because there are a number of accomplishments there that are accredited to him- that only Miller, other politicians, and/or other mayoral candidates could only dream of. For instance, there is his core support- and his popularity. If Ford was some sort of a buffoon, how is he managing to keep those numbers steady?
      If he was a buffoon, how was he able to get funding for the subway, from the two upper levels of government. I'm sure it takes more of a buffoon to accomplish that. Or the savings he has accomplished for Toronto. I'm not going to get into the $1 Billion dollars saved argument, because its just going to go in circles. But it is agreed, that he did save the city a considerable amount of money- and that's more than I can say about David Miller

The fact of the matter is TRUTH-NOT SPIN, is the glaring double-standard, that is staring you in the face- and people like yourself willing to ignore it. I know this is going off topic, but it has to be said. And this is the reason why people still rally around Ford. Our Liberal government is causing more damage than any government around, before or since- to the province of Ontario. And yet we are clinging on to the personal failings of one man- and investing so much energies into his demise. And here I thought the $1 Billion dollars lost by the Liberals would be the straw that broke the camel's back, and there would be rioting in the streets to get these people out. Unfortunately, there isn't- but on the contrary, it seems people are 'happy' about it.
      This is why there is such an electorate who support Ford. Sure it may seem illogical to you, but that is the reality of the matter. And until you realize that fact, you are going to be banging your head against the wall until it bleeds, trying to figure out why Rob Ford is still so very popular amongst many.
    7. Truth-Not Spin posted on 02/04/2014 10:43 AM
      @Karl Burgin After wading through your latest response I see why your detractors lose patience with you at times. Your treatise above can be summed up in very few words:
      You ignored logic in almost every example.
      Where you couldn't ignore, you deflected.
      You are an apologist for a man who exemplifies most of what is wrong with too many voters - they vote without thinking rationally.

I actually feel sorry for you since your degree of blind acceptance for everything pro-Ford would seem to have no bounds. Please make an effort in future to look at more than just your blind side.
    8. Karl Burgin posted on 02/04/2014 11:12 AM
      @Truth-Not Spin You seem to be new- hence the long response. Just so you understand where I'm coming from. I don't usually respond that long.
      But there are others on your side of the fence, of whose opinion I do respect- and they don't think I'm deflecting.
      And I'm not ignoring logic. I just choose not to eat the crap the media is feeding. Not everything on the surface is true. You sound rather smart- so I'm hoping you're not at the feeding trough either.
      Neither am I an apologist. If Ford goes back into his old habits, he will only have my sympathies- and there wouldn't be a leg for me to stand on in defending him.
      I see a man who is making an effort to change. It is no secret that Ford is incredibly stubborn- that is his greatest strength, and unfortunately sometimes his greatest weakness.
      The Blair conference on Ford, followed by the slow release of the court documents, speaks of something more sinister- instead of the common belief that it's just the way the justice system takes its course. There has been a general outcry from the anti-Ford group, that this all play out in the public sphere, and that Ford should be tried in the court of public opinion. Blair and Nordheimer played right into that. And all without proper defense or explanation from Ford. Or if Ford tried to give one, he was drowned out by seas of protests.
      I would like to see this entire thing performed properly- and fairly. That barely has happened. One simply cannot ignore that- because I surely can't. I've done media studies in university, where the main goal was to view media, on any medium very critically. That is where I am coming from. And as much as you want to be believe I am deflecting from the point- I am not.

We may have to end up agreeing to disagree on this. But I will take to heart not to accept everything pro-Ford. As much as I trust that you don't believe all the hype, and the appeal of the anti-Ford bandwagon.
  3. Karl Burgin posted on 02/03/2014 08:28 PM
    The troll is out again. Does he ever stop eating...
    1. Frankie posted on 02/04/2014 02:59 PM
      @Karl Burgin The way I dealt with donny p's racist and abusive comments was simply to ignore whatever he writes. I don't even read his posts and it's so much more refreshing. Does he remind you a bit like EM who seems to have disappeared?
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/04/2014 03:11 PM
      @Frankie Oh yeah...that guy.
      I lost track of him actually....can't even remember the last time I was the subject of his salacious insults...lol
  4. Frankie posted on 02/04/2014 10:33 AM
    If he's going to be charged I hope it's sooner rather than later so that we can get on with the mayoral candidates. I'd hate to see the timing provide an advantage to the left.
    1. Karl Burgin's boyfriend posted on 02/04/2014 10:57 AM
      @Frankie someone eventually has to come in and clean up the mess and stench of the last 4 yrs at city hall. I hope that person is centre left
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/04/2014 11:14 AM
      @Karl Burgin's boyfriend Sorry, guy. I'm happily married, and not available. You're going to have to find someone else to shack up with. You should ask Donny P.- maybe he's available for you...

In light of the Toronto Maple Leafs choosing to not salute the fans after a win on home ice, is this the tipping point for 'Leafs Nation' support?