Province stands by plan to improve math scores

This comes after report released solidifying need for action

Ontario's education minister is brushing aside a report by the Fraser Institute solidifying students' poor performance in math.

Liz Sandals says it contains nothing about math scores that hasn't been proven before when the standardized testing results were released.

The Fraser Institute's recently released Elementary School Report Card shows by Grade 6, the number of students who were improving in math has gone down from 28 per cent to 17 per cent.

Sandals underlined the province is taking steps to improve math when asked about curriculum changes. Ontario announced last month it's pumping $4 million in subsidies for teachers to take courses to update their math skills.

Sandals says the province also wants to explore how technology would help - both in class and at home - and also have teachers use a variety of in-class techniques to teach math.

However, PC Education Critic Rob Leone believes the education minister is being 'neglectful' of students, pointing to the province's math scores.

Leone says this has been a problem in the province for over 10 years.

He says parents tell him their kids aren't learning multiplication or long division anymore. He says these methods shouldn't be abandoned because students have access to calculators.

The report also gave six Toronto elementary schools perfect scores of 10 in its rankings - St. Michael’s Choir,  Arbor Glen, Hillmount, Cottingham, Seneca Hill,  and Sathya Sai.

The Ontario average is 6.0.

1. Frankie posted on 02/03/2014 12:55 PM
    Let's see - Education, Health Care, Energy, etc.

Vote in a Liberal government and we are 100% certain they will "steal", mismanage and ruin our province.

Vote in an NDP government and they will destroy our economy

Vote in a Conservative government and there are no guarantees they will do either of the above.

The Liberals must be pleased our public education is so bad, so they can rely on stupid people to keep voting them into office.
    1. Mark7 posted on 02/03/2014 01:39 PM
      @Frankie It is a fact that only stupid people ever vote for the Fiberals. I have never nor will ever vote for these con artists.
  2. KarenW_5 posted on 02/03/2014 02:18 PM
    $4 million dollars to teach teachers to add and subtract so they can teach students to add and subtract without calculators. Wow - someone please put a stop to this insanity. Give me a friggin break - make the f'n teachers teach basic math, how hard is it.
    1. Todd posted on 02/03/2014 02:35 PM
      @KarenW_5 I know of so many highly ranked unemployed young teachers that would be superstars in our classrooms. Kick out the bums who wanted to be a teacher for the summers off.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/03/2014 04:51 PM
      @KarenW_5 Well, there is the option of the teachers using an iPad. Or just ask Siri. Voice recognition is pretty accurate now, and she can do almost everything you ask.

Or we can have Siri teach basic math.
  3. Frankie posted on 02/03/2014 04:18 PM
    The Liberals own math is excellent. "Steal" $ 1 Billion then give back $ 1 Million in gift cards that private companies pay for and the stupid voters think you're a hero.

What a province!
  4. Angry Bill posted on 02/03/2014 04:25 PM
    That money is being thrown at the wrong thing. It does very little to address the major inadequacies that have slowly crept into our education system over decades. It's a systemic problem, and spending millions to teach teachers how to teach math will probably not have a huge impact.

One fact I have pointed out before that you can chew on, our education system went from teaching Latin in high school to teaching remedial English in college.

I get the feeling that the liberals just want to be seen to be apparently addressing this issue, rather than to take meaningful steps to actually address it.

I cry for our future. The entire underpinnings of our country are slowly being eroded by a socialist, liberal style agenda that has given us "no child left behind", and removed the concept of failure from our education system's lexicon.

People still fail... they just don't know it. But it is failure, nonetheless.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 02/03/2014 04:53 PM
      @Angry Bill Yep...very scary prospect.
      The only thing worse than a child failing, is that child not know they have failed- or being able to learn from it.
    2. Frankie posted on 02/03/2014 05:10 PM
      @Angry Bill This is nothing less than a race to the bottom, similar to the Liberals in Ontario and most Toronto city councillors.

What's criminal is the destruction of our education system and the kids that will suffer tremendously once they try to get into the workforce.

The Liberals continue to prostitute themselves for votes and they couldn't give a damn about these ill-educated kids.
  5. KarenW_5 posted on 02/03/2014 05:35 PM
    When my 22 year old son was in grade school I fought with the school to teach him math and did not allow him to bring calculator to class. How could he go through life without the basics I cried, to no one n particular since no one listened. Watch almost anyone under the age of 30 try to count cash, add or subtract, don't even think of asking them about multiplying and dividing and percentages are a complete disaster. Why, because the elementary teachers can't teach, plain and simple. How much do they earn per year??????????????
    1. Angry Bill posted on 02/04/2014 10:52 AM
      @KarenW_5 I agree. I remember going to a fast food place, once. The kid at the cash was incapable of counting back my change. I guess the cash register was out of commission, or something. Now, when I was in school, I sucked at math. Majorly. But I'm Stephen fricken Hawking compared to these kids.

I can't remember the amounts, but let's say it was $11.45, and I gave him a $20. To me, you give a nickel to make it 50 cents, another 2 quarters to bring it to $12, then a toonie and a loonie to make it $15, then a $5 to make it $20. I tried to explain it to the kid in exactly that manner.. His eyes just glazed over.

In another place, I paid $10 for a less than 10 dollar order, and I get back change plus a 20 dollar bill. The kid had no clue. At all.

Any of these liberals crowing about how good our education system is deserves to be laughed at. Because the rest of the world is laughing at us. I'm just crying. I know it's not my fault, because I didn't vote liberal. But I am still sad at the people who let the liberals do this to our education system. That's the problem with a democracy. A stupid person's vote carries just as much weight as mine. And they outnumber me.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/04/2014 11:43 AM
      @Angry Bill Did you keep the $20...please tell me you kept the $20.... ;p
    3. Angry Bill posted on 02/04/2014 12:40 PM
      @Karl Burgin hehe, no.. Unfortunately, my conscience would get in the way. I believe that karma would catch up with me eventually if I did that.
  6. Starchild posted on 02/05/2014 09:45 AM
    If this news gets out in the other international news then the whole world will laugh at us. It is a major shame even talk about it. What kind of teachers we have if they can't teach math? Is this government naturally this stupid or they had to work on it?

Do you think Toronto's parking enforcement officers should have the power to mail out parking/traffic tickets?