Mayor Rob Ford says he's at odds with city hall staffers over the future of the eastern section of the Gardiner Expressway.
Ford hints that a research report due out on Wednesday will recommend that the 2.4-kilometre stretch from Jarvis Street to the Don Valley Parkway should be dismantled.
Staffers have been working on the study for months, investigating 4 possible solutions for the future of the East Gardiner.
"I'm not going to tear it down. It'll cause traffic chaos," Ford says.
"I think (city) staff and I are on a different page. Staff, I believe, want to tear it down and I want to maintain it, just like most of Torontonians."
The 4 options considered in the staff report are maintaining, repairing, replacing, or removing the section of the freeway in question.
The staffers' report will shed light on what all of these solutions might cost and how many years they could add the the East Gardiner's life.
Mayor Ford thinks the best way to secure the artery's future is to keep doing what the City is doing now: a schedule of preventative maintenance along with repairs to patch up defects, as they appear.
His stance on the Gardiner Expressway as a whole has been the same since before he was elected Mayor in 2010 but since then, there have been numerous reports of chunks of concrete falling off the decaying elevated sections
The price tag of a complete overhaul could be in the billions, after years of neglect and rushed repairs.