Doug Ford on Pride: men running down the street 'buck-naked'

Councillor defends brother as World Pride calls mayor's comments homophobic.

Councillor Doug Ford says he wouldn't bring his children to the pride parade given there are "middle-aged men with pot-bellies, running down the street buck-naked."

Ford tried to defend his brother, the day after Mayor Rob Ford underlined he's not going to the pride parade this summer, claiming he's not going to change the way he is.

Executive Director of World Pride Toronto Kevin Beaulieu says the mayor's comments were homophobic.

Kevin Beaulieu calls the comments 'deeply disturbing.'

Councillor Ford underlined his brother isn't homophobic because he has gay friends.

Beaulieu says the mayor should want to be at pride. He underlines it's an opportunity to show support to the LGBTQ community which is still struggling to be accepted.

While Beaulieu wouldn't make the connection between the mayor shunning festivities and societies aiming to oppress the LGBTQ community, the comments are troubling.

Beaulieu wouldn't say if the mayor is homophobic in general.

The mayor hasn't been given an official invitation to pride. Beaulieu says while the organization doesn't like to exclude anyone from the event, they would have to take into account previous comments by Ford which are clearly homophobic.

He's specifically to the video taken at Steak Queen in Etobicoke which shows the mayor swearing.

After his comments, Councillor Ford underlined he supports pride and says there are probably some aspects of the event that are family-friendly.

Pride Toronto took to Twitter for a dig at the mayor.

1. Michael posted on 02/06/2014 02:01 PM
    It's a preferable situation than having drug addicted, drunk drivers running down the street in the gigantic Escalades.
  2. lynne posted on 02/06/2014 03:31 PM
    re the Gay Pride Parade...

For Heavens' sake, they are glorifying depravity...maybe supporters should look up re the

fall of the Roman Empire, the fall of Ephesus, the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah, &

many other places that have been destroyed. What ever happened to freedom of speech?
  3. john posted on 02/06/2014 03:44 PM
    yea i am with ford on this one i dont wanna see fat men naked with potbelly s running down the street . disgusting . ewwww .
    1. AC posted on 02/06/2014 03:55 PM
      @john I'm with you but Ford with clothes on still makes me blow my cookies
  4. Ganganm boy posted on 02/06/2014 05:27 PM
    Looking at the caption pic, I can't believe we have so many sickos in our country!
  5. Paul AB posted on 02/06/2014 06:00 PM
    Anyone who is LGBT should boycott the 'gay pride parade' if they indeed are seeking to establish themselves as decent, moral, citizens. Why would any decent person who is gay and no ashamed of being so, want to identify with these raunchy people? I have a gay acquaintance and he is appalled at what happens at gay pride parades. He absolutely states, "This is NOT who I am or are about!"
  6. EdisonR posted on 02/06/2014 06:09 PM
    as much as I don't like Ford, I have to admire him for standing up tall against these bullies from the Pride and co.... they confuse personal choices with public indecency.

I am also surprised that Toronto Police does participate and does not arrest those that show too much....

If I would walk like that, they would arrest me...

I am sick with these crazy bastards that want to impose their will on the NORMAL PEOPLE.
  7. Mark posted on 02/06/2014 07:20 PM
    Acceptance is one thing, but pride? Really?? The sooner we put political correctness aside and see what homosexuality truly is, an abnormal biological disorder, the sooner we can start to raise funds, awareness, and eventually find a cure. The sooner we accept this for what it trully is the sooner we can get help out to those afflicted with this terrible disorder.
  8. Mary posted on 02/06/2014 07:50 PM
    I do not know what all the fuss is about. We do not want a man like Rob Ford at the parade. So let us end this stupid conversation.
  9. Max posted on 02/06/2014 09:01 PM
    "...societies aiming to oppress the LGBTQ community.."?!? Um... nice try Beaulieu. Much of the Western world has been under homo-fascism oppression for the past 10 years.

So someone says he doesn't want to take his children to see naked or semi-naked men running down the street, dancing etc. The point is that is a fact - it happens at the parade. There is no hatred in that statement there yet you EASILY rebuke crying homophobia. Unfortunately, lots of people will buy into your victim song and dance and this another example of the current state of homo-fascism that exists in this country.
    1. SojBee posted on 02/07/2014 09:57 AM
      @Max so true.... where does this nonsense categorization stop!? If you really want to change the world go to Russia - thats where LBGTQ community is facing real problems!!

Additionally maybe the LBGTQ community should clean up its act and stop all the winning about the sexually explicit parade - you can be proud of who you are and not flaunt your sexuality so explicitly in public; Straight people don't, and if they had a Straight Pride parade and behaved the same way I still would not go!

I would never take my nieces or nephews to PRIDE and expose them to the carrying ons!
  10. Barry posted on 02/06/2014 09:50 PM
    Good for Rob Ford
    1. donny p. posted on 02/06/2014 09:56 PM
      @Barry Why?
  11. Sojbee posted on 02/07/2014 09:47 AM
    Butt Naked? Homophobic?! Don't quite understand ... isn't this what happens at the Pride Parade anyway?

News flash, just because I don't attend the Pride parade does not make me homophobic - I have nothing to be afraid of, least of all another human being like me - i am just no interested!! Same goes with Caribana, both of which I have personal opinions about so I don't go, attend or care...call me "Cariphobic" (seeing that we love labelling and disparaging people in our society)
  12. john posted on 02/07/2014 10:43 AM
    i realy dont care who is gay and who is not as long as thay leave me out of it . i will not go to the pride cause it dos not interest me one bit . i love my women and will always do so .
  13. kenfromcanada posted on 02/07/2014 04:27 PM
    WOW

Reading some of these posts - it seems like a time machine trip to the 1970's and the rampant homophobia in Toronto then!!
    BUT
    On this page we have donny (the) P(utz) arguing with his several other profiles - calling others homophobic all the time he is slagging gay people - I am waiting for his racist anti-Semitic tie in to this whole mess.

What an absolute tool!

lolololololol

In light of the Toronto Maple Leafs choosing to not salute the fans after a win on home ice, is this the tipping point for 'Leafs Nation' support?