Canadian couple killed in Mexico

Ottawa couple had lived in the retirement community near Chapala for 6 months...

Officials in Mexico say a Canadian couple was killed in an apparent robbery at their lakeside home in a popular retirement spot for U.S. and Canadian citizens.

Chapala city spokesman Roberto Arroyo said Monday the couple was found by their gardener in a pool of blood in the living room of the house.

Arroyo says robbery is the main motive behind the Sunday attack on the pair, who have been identified as 72-year-old Nina Discombe and 84-year-old Edward Kular. They are from Ottawa and had been living in Mexico for 6 months.

He says the man was beaten on the head with a small statue and the woman was stabbed in the stomach with a kitchen knife.

Canadian officials didn't immediately respond to a request for information.

1. john posted on 02/11/2014 12:26 PM
    Mexico is a shit hole . i would never go there .
  2. Angry Bill posted on 02/11/2014 05:06 PM
    It's beyond me why any Canadian would choose to go to Mexico... Heck, even Cuba is miles better, both in security and in cost.

About the only thing you can be sure of when you go to Mexico is, when you get killed, the Mexican cops will conduct an investigation worthy of Benny Hill, and in the end blame it on the young, female Canadian college student in the room across the hall whom they claim has connections to the mafia, issue a warrant for her arrest, demand a bribe, and consider the case closed.

I shake my head at people who happily vacation in Mexico.
    1. warningu2 posted on 02/12/2014 05:55 PM
      @Angry Bill Writing from the shit hole while on vacation I can assure you I have never felt safer. The police and military patrolling the beach with automatic weapons in Playa Del Carma have told me to say so.
  3. Karl Burgin posted on 02/12/2014 12:35 PM
    Funny, that this is still an issue. This story is extremely sad in itself- and the way they were killed was brutal, and senseless.
    I was listening to this story on AM 640, with Bill Carroll hosting. And he's all against people going to Mexico at all. Yet Leslie Roberts has a house down there, and says it's completely safe.
    So there, you have two media personalities giving completely different suggestions.

I personally have a friend who married a Mexican, and frequents there a lot. His wedding was down there, and wanted me to come. I was extremely nervous about it- and my family wasn't too fond of the idea either.
    Overall, the Mexican government needs to get their house in order. Or if they require help in fishing out all the scum that's giving the country a bad name, then they should do so. Its unfortunate that the entire country has to suffer because of the many bad apples terrorizing both Mexican citizens and tourists.
    Historically though, I think the U.S. government is to blame (1950s and 1960s), for Mexico being in the state they currently are- where they have to resort to armed banditry and violence to get ahead.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 02/12/2014 03:45 PM
      @Karl Burgin Leslie Roberts saying Mexico is completely safe is like Wynne saying the gas plants was money well spent.

I can stand up and say our highways are completely safe simply because I, myself, have not been killed in a car accident.

Leslie is pushing his luck, as far as I'm concerned. Unless he lives in a secure, gated community and rarely leaves it while he's down there. Then his odds of getting murdered might go down a bit.

Then entire system down there is based on corruption... the country and bureaucracy (including police) operate entirely on the bribe system.

I still maintain that if you like to go to Mexico, you are taking your chances.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/12/2014 04:24 PM
      @Angry Bill You are bang on correct.
      Apparently his wife is Mexican- so i'm not sure if going to Mexico is more out of obligation, rather than choice... ;p
      But yeah. Bill Carroll said they're both really good friends. But if Mr. Roberts invites him to visit his house in Mexico, Bill wouldn't go even if you paid him.
      And since the Brenda Martin episode, that really should have been the wake-up call for Canadians.
    3. donny p. posted on 02/12/2014 04:40 PM
      @Karl Burgin Wrong again...you're always wrong on everything. That poor couple owned a house down there for years, as do many Canadians. Stop listening to "radio personalities" and try using your brain...oops, you have no brain to use, always let others do your thinking. Looks like you made a slip in that last post...your parents don't want you to go to Mexico?...just how old are you? Based on your thoughts, vocabulary, and syntax, I'd guess around 12, unless you're a girly boy.

Mexico's problems are the direct result of America's and Canada's insatiable need for illegal drugs. Mexico is a product of people like Robby, the fat, stupid, drug addict. If people like him didn't support the drug cartels, Mexico would have a traditional economy. Our drug addicts are responsible for the problems in Mexico and Afghanistan where one of military died there a couple of days ago. wonder why that didn't make the press?

Don't blame Mexico, blame Robby, the drug addict and others like him.
    4. Karl Burgin posted on 02/13/2014 12:46 PM
      @Angry Bill Funny...
      I agree with you, but I'm being called out by a certain "somebody", along with their usual incoherent insults...
      How come BILL, you're not included? ;p

As the body of Cpl Nathan Cirillo headed home, did you make your way to the Highway of Heroes?