NEWS

Councillor wants to extend serving hours for hockey games in Sochi
Councillor Layton will put forth the motion next week
10 0

How would you like to sit down and have a beer while watching Olympic hockey at 6 a.m.?

City councillor Mike Layton is in favour of it, and he's putting forth a motion next week that would allow restaurants and bars to begin serving alcohol at 6 a.m.

However, that would only be for the last four days of the winter games.

Layton told The Star, he was asked by someone on Twitter if council would consider extending the serving hours, much like when the World Cup tournament was held in 2010.

Team Canada's men's gold medal game will be held on February 23 at 7 a.m. and Layton says they will also consider extending serving hours for the women's bronze medal game on February 20 at 7 a.m.

The gold medal women's match is at 11 o'clock that morning.

Categories:

1. Josh posted on 02/13/2014 03:31 AM
    So I work afternoons and I'm up watching the Finland game, and I really don't think having a beer right now (3:30am) is the worst thing I can do while at home before I go to bed. Others that have been done work for 4 hours can have a beer at any bar, so it seems unfair that I can't, especially in our 24 hour society. I don't see why I can't go to the corner store and pick up a six pack. Like I said, my hours at work dictate that I can't drink until 11, and by that time the beer stores are closed, so I have to plan ahead while others do not. If I lived in Quebec, I wouldn't have this problem.
    1. dama` posted on 02/14/2014 02:26 PM
      @Josh Corner stores still have to buy from the beer monopolised company
      hence the report stated that it will cost $10 more for a 24, unless it is a true free enterprise that corner beer store can arrange their IMPORT, which is unlikely.. the corner beer store debate will continue til everyone stop drinking beer..

and do yo see that happening? I dont

2. Mike posted on 02/13/2014 04:55 AM
    The old laws surrounding drink are beginning to sound a bit archaic given todays 24/7 society. I understand that the restaurant and bar business will want to serve their customers. But do we want drunk and hungover people at work the next day?
    1. Townie posted on 02/13/2014 08:28 AM
      @Mike So are you saying that these "old laws" that "sound a bit archaic" -- your words, after all -- are the only things keeping our society from falling down drunk at work all the time? Gimme a break. The only thing old and archaic here is your morality-view of human behaviour.
  3. Ger posted on 02/13/2014 05:12 AM
    " Team Canada's men's gold medal game will be held on February 23 at 7 a.m.....". Jumping the gun a bit on this quote? Team Canada has a number of games to win before clinching a place in the Gold Medal game! Go Canada Go!
  4. john posted on 02/13/2014 02:28 PM
    the deference between watching the Olympic hockey game and the Toronto maple leafs is u dont need to get drunk to enjoy the Olympic hockey game .
  5. Frankie posted on 02/13/2014 03:13 PM
    I don't like Layton's politics even though I support his suggestion, so I'm going to do what the typical anti-Ford councillors do and oppose his suggestion even though it's a good idea.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 02/13/2014 03:26 PM
      @Frankie i see wut u did thar
  6. Mike posted on 02/13/2014 07:48 PM
    Since he's a Layton maybe he'll get the massage parlors to open at 6:00am as well.
  7. dama posted on 02/14/2014 02:30 PM
    I see what Mike Layton is trying to do..encourage Rob Ford to drink at 6 am instead of 2 am.. and you know what ? I was surprised thar ROB Ford like the idea.. for business.. why not !!!!

What a mayor !!!

Ford more years.. where is Chow and Tory ?? Mr Ford is waiting ..

DON'T MISS

AIRPORT TUNNEL

WATCH: NEWSTALK 1010 contest winner is first through airport tunnel

Joel MacCharles, winner of the NEWSTALK 1010 'Be the First' contest makes history before jet-setting to NYC!

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

10 0

However, that would only be for the last four days of the winter games.

The gold medal women's match is at 11 o'clock that morning.

1. Josh posted on 02/13/2014 03:31 AM
    1. dama` posted on 02/14/2014 02:26 PM
      @Josh Corner stores still have to buy from the beer monopolised company

and do yo see that happening? I dont

2. Mike posted on 02/13/2014 04:55 AM
    1. Townie posted on 02/13/2014 08:28 AM
  3. Ger posted on 02/13/2014 05:12 AM
  4. john posted on 02/13/2014 02:28 PM
  5. Frankie posted on 02/13/2014 03:13 PM
    1. Angry Bill posted on 02/13/2014 03:26 PM
      @Frankie i see wut u did thar
  6. Mike posted on 02/13/2014 07:48 PM
  7. dama posted on 02/14/2014 02:30 PM

What a mayor !!!

Ford more years.. where is Chow and Tory ?? Mr Ford is waiting ..