John Tory registers to run for mayor

Tory focused on a more liveable, affordable and functional city

After months of speculation, John Tory says yes, he is running for mayor of Toronto.

He signed his paperwork at City Hall at 8:30 am Monday, about 90 minutes before Karen Stintz is scheduled to launch her mayoralty campaign.

Tory spoke exclusively to Newstalk 1010 Sunday night, saying for him, the decision to take another shot at the post was easy because he loves the city. He first ran for mayor in 2003 and lost to David Miller by some 36,000 votes.

While a more detailed platform with costs attached will be laid out later, the former Ontario Progressive Conservative leader says his campaign focus is on creating a more liveable, affordable and functional Toronto.

Tory says for him making the city more livable means tackling transit and congestion problems. "The Yonge Street relief line in particular, is going to be a life line for communities and businesses and I want to get that done."

Tory says he also wants to keep taxes low, especially property taxes and to have the city government work in a way that people can be proud of.

He suggests he would bring a different tone to City Hall. "We will have less of the three ring circus, we will have more co-operation that we need", said Tory.

"You can have the greatest plan in the world, but if you can't get it through the city council because you're not possessed of the right skills or determination to work with other people, well then, it won't matter as much."

Newstalk 1010 reached out to Rob Ford's campaign manager Doug Ford and the Mayor's brother says there are differences between Rob and John Tory.

Tory officially registered to run on the same day that Karen Stintz will submit her papers. She joined John Moore on Newstalk 1010 Monday morning.

Tory says it wasn't that difficult to get wife Barb and the rest of his family on board, saying they know it's in his DNA to bring people together.

Tory has been host of Newstalk 1010's The Live Drive since the fall of 2009. Tory says the experience has been "an education" and an opportunity to talk with people daily about issues like transit, traffic, government waste and dysfunction.

But his mayoral ambitions mean he will have to turn in the Live Drive keys.

"We would love John to stick around", says Newstalk 1010 Brand Director Mike Bendixen, "but...the station supports him in his endeavours in running for political office."

But Bendixen stresses Tory won't be getting any special treatment. "We're gonna be just as hard on him as we would be on Rob Ford, as we would be with David Soknacki and Karen Stintz and Olivia Chow and whoever else decides to run."

Tory will be on the air during the Live Drive Monday with a thank you to his listeners.

Tory joins a field of 29 declared Rob Ford challengers, most of them unknown. Councillor and newly departed TTC Chair Karen Stintz plans to kick off her campaign Monday. Miller-era budget chief David Soknacki is also in the running.

Trinity Spadina NDP MP Olivia Chow is expected to join the race this spring.

Tory worked as a lawyer for his late father's firm, Tory, Tory, DesLauriers and Binnington before jumping into politics. He worked in the offices of Ontario Premier Bill Davis, Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and his successor Kim Campbell.

Between 1995 and 1999 Tory acted as President and CEO of Rogers Communications. He continues to sit on Rogers' Board of Directors. Tory was also commissioner of the CFL from 1996 to 2000.

He was leader of Ontario's PC party from 2005 until 2009, when he stepped down after failing to secure a seat at Queen's Park in a byelection.

Tory is a recipient of the Order of Ontario and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal

Toronto votes October 27th.

John Tory for Mayor of Toronto - Campaign Launch Video

1. Mark posted on 02/24/2014 07:15 AM
    Tory may work out okay but he needs to grow a backbone. Tory seems to always agree with the last person he talks to so it's hard to figure out where he stands on issues.

While at Rogers I am sure profits were good but that company also became one of the most arrogant and condescending companies to customers in the history of man.

On the radio Tory would often rail on the middle management waste at city hall so we will have to see if something is done about that.

Tory also showed his true Liberal colours on the radio by saying that we should all forget about the liberal gas plant billion dollar boondoggle and move on.

But I repeat - Tory needs grow a backbone, tell us what he really wants to accomplish as mayor and then not cave-in after any conversation with someone who does not agree with him.

Most people want to be the first one in to see the boss. With Tory, people will be fighting to be the last one in to see him.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 02/24/2014 09:10 AM
      @Mark Oh, I dunno, Mark. Don't mistake respect and common decency for weakness. If John actually was the type to have the opinion of the last person he talked to, then he would have changed his views on the private schooling thing, that the liberals latched onto like a rabid dog and beat him with during the provincial election.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 10:09 AM
      @Mark Very well put...Tory needs to grow a backbone.
      He is far too nice, and will try to appease to everybody.

Council right now, is an expired corrupted dweeb club. And they've showed their true colors and potential by subjecting Ford to a kangaroo court, stripping his powers and voting the "other way" whenever they can. All because Ford is fighting against the bureaucratic nightmare in city hall.
      I wish I could say Tory has the balls to do what Ford is doing- but in good conscience, I can't. He even confirmed my worst fears when I heard him this morning, when he says he'll be the mayor of everybody, and that he's all for building bridges.

I am sorry Mr. Tory, but you cannot focus on making "friends" and building bridges with the current lot you have in council. They will turn you into something you're not, and you will end up hating yourself by the time your mayoral term is over.
      You would be of better use if you replaced Tim Hudak as leader, and led the PCs against the Liberals. City politics is not for you...
    3. john posted on 02/24/2014 10:40 AM
      @Karl Burgin agreed he needs to go hardcore like ford when it comes to taxes . unlike the other politicians ford knows this thing called a budget and how to make one . he dos the best he can to make sure the last thing he would ever wanna do is raise taxes . unlike all the others .
    4. Mark posted on 02/24/2014 11:39 AM
      @Karl Burgin " All because Ford is fighting against the bureaucratic nightmare in city hall."

Uh, no. Its because he is an admitted crack user, lier, and boozer. Not to mention the drug dealers he hangs out with...
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 11:50 AM
      @Mark So question....

...all the media following him, and NOW posting naked pictures of him, and the trivial complaints that landed him in court- all before the crack confessions, and the media hype- what would you call that?

And please don't let your bias get the better of your answer...
    6. Rob Ford's Cadillac posted on 02/24/2014 12:15 PM
      @Karl Burgin Go away, Karl. You don't live in Toronto. No one cares when you pipe in with irrelevant comments. Shouldn't you be worried about the next mayor of Ajax or something?
    7. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 12:36 PM
      @Rob Ford's Cadillac 1.> My comments were not meant for you. As experience shows your inability to answer with any semblance of thought or logic. So to put it plainly, if you don't like my comments, then move on. But if you're going to respond, please not type the same thing over and over. I am aware I don't live in Toronto- as do many of the regulars. You've added nothing new in your response
      2.>The price of gas is $1.34/L. I would have thought for sure, you would've been locked up in a garage somewhere- as right now, you're just too expensive to drive
      3.>Could you transform into a Pinto?
  2. Sully posted on 02/24/2014 07:39 AM
    Okay, so he finally announced. Now, who's replacing him on 1010 from 4 to 7? Hope it's someone half-decent, because there's no way I'll ever listen to that blowhard from LA on 640.
    1. Stephen posted on 02/24/2014 08:44 AM
      @Sully Let's hope it is not that fill in guy Vinnie whatever, I will be forced to listen to Carroll then aghhh!
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 10:10 AM
      @Stephen Actually, I like Vinnie....and the accent.
      Imagine if him and Coren did a show together....lol
    3. john posted on 02/24/2014 12:00 PM
      @Karl Burgin i agree Vinnie needs more mike time .
  3. Sheryl posted on 02/24/2014 08:33 AM
    I'm with Sully. Whatever you do, don't bring Bill Carroll back! Good luck to John Tory - Toronto would be lucky to have someone of his calibre as mayor!
  4. don was right posted on 02/24/2014 08:38 AM
    John Tory - they guy who wants to spend billions putting condos on ontraio place right on the flight path from the island airport, and wants to run streetcars out to there. And then there was John and his friend Mitzi Hunter, liberal thingy in scarboro. Where did that get us?

Where is ROFO when you need him?
    1. Stephen posted on 02/24/2014 08:43 AM
      @don was right That is the question that has been asked repeatedly about Rob Ford since he took office, unfortunately we didn't like the answer as to where he was!
  5. loretta posted on 02/24/2014 08:58 AM
    Tory is the first real competition to Ford, it is just sad he would not rerun for provincial office.

If asked I would love to hear BIll Carroll in the afternoon, better choice then some of the other options
    1. Sully posted on 02/24/2014 09:05 AM
      @loretta To each their own, but if Bill The Shill ever came back to 1010, that would be the last time I ever listened in that time slot.
    2. loretta posted on 02/24/2014 09:13 AM
      @Sully I can understand some peoples aversion to common sense but you are correct to each their own. I am not sure that 1010 is the station for you
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 10:21 AM
      @loretta I actually have started to recently re-listen to Carroll over Tory- and frankly, Carroll wins.
      Carroll can get annoying because he sometimes tends to "over-talk" his guests, or callers, and they can never always get their full point across. Just take a small breather, don't talk for 5-seconds, and let them make their point.
      But other than that, he is very excellent. And is very reasonable in his logic and makes sense. And that's really whats needed. Not just bias overriding the thought process- as to what tends to happen a lot on 1010.
      Mind you, Carroll is not for Ford necessarily- because he believes Ford should step down. A point I don't necessarily agree with, but its hard to argue against his reasoning. But when Ford does good, he calls it as he sees it. And doesn't let bias take over. And that's what I admire- and what seems to be sorely lacking for radio show hosts these days.

And yes Loretta, Tory should've run provincially. If there were ever a time and a place that he would surely succeed, it would be there. We sorely need him running the PCs- because Tim Hudak just isn't doing it. Although Hudak putting aside the "right to work" vision may help a little.
      We can't afford another Wynne government, and Tory would be the PERFECT alternative- and the PCs popularity would surely rise. That was the path Tory should have taken, where he could make a real difference, that would be to the benefit of many. Instead of wasting his time taking a chance, where he may not even win the mayoral seat.
  6. HP posted on 02/24/2014 09:06 AM
    Tory is just another elitist opportunist that will take Toronto back to the days when all mayors had to be Free Masons and members of the Orange Lodge. I have him in the same candidate bucket as Enza the Supermodel, Rosie the Clown, and Tooker Gomberg. Sad thing is that he has this radio show and CFRB support.

If he wins it's back to the future to the days of Saunders, McCallum, and Lamport. All WASPS that hated veryone but their own.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 02/24/2014 09:17 AM
      @HP Man, the extent some people are going to try to pound John Tory into whatever peg they want him to fit in.

John Tory is not a Freemason. I should know, I am one. I can see how the next few months will go.. people like you trying to push a less than sane viewpoint on a situation that is totally inapplicable. I've listened to Tory for years. I think if he was a closet "opportunist", that would have somehow been evidenced by now. It hasn't.

Go home, liberal. You're drunk.
    2. HP posted on 02/24/2014 09:26 AM
      @Angry Bill Perhaps you should read his bio on Wiki...Tory is a corporate elitist, part of the 100 that control Canada, and a member of the 1%. After hearing that he was running for mayor again, I could use a drink. sad day for Toronto if a corporate mega executive wins...he. just can't relate to anything except the rich.

Do yourself a favour...read his bio. He doesn't represent the Toronto of today...he'd feel more comfortable in 1949.
    3. Angry Bill posted on 02/24/2014 10:15 AM
      @HP Thanks for your reasoned response, HP.

Let me put this in a different light, then. So, your thing against Tory is that he happens to be what you term part of the corporate elite? And therefore all other arguments are null and void? Because you can't be part of the corporate elite and have strong morals, or be fit to lead anything?

I beg to differ on that. I do not believe that all this was given to John Tory simply because he was part of the corporate elite. He was smart, he worked darn hard, and as a result was good enough to be where he is today. I will certainly not disparage him simply because he believes in achieving success through hard work. He worked hard for what he has, he deserves what he has worked for, and he doesn't have a history of "screwing" people.

Maybe he can only relate to the rich.. but here's the thing. He never grew up like Justin Bieber. He does not have a history of reckless abandon, poor decisions and blowing money all over the place. He earned everything he has, and is very aware that he needs to be financially stable. What's more, he has spent his entire life being fiscally responsible. Isn't that the sort of person you would like to be running things? Someone who knows how to handle money without being in over their head? Someone who won't blow money on crack, or on stupid gas plant fiascoes? Someone who KNOWS the value of money, and who would be a great steward for the public purse?

Tory has all these qualities, and more. I'm sure he doesn't lead his resume with "corporate elitist", either. That is a label that others have given him.. who perhaps have a different agenda.

I am honest, and have an IQ higher than my shoe size. Trust me, if I had the smallest doubt about John's integrity, you'd hear it from me.

My only criticism of him is he is the most liberal conservative I know. But then, dealing with this dysfunctional city council, maybe that is the only type of person who could make things work.
  7. Angry Bill posted on 02/24/2014 09:12 AM
    Good bye, John. Will miss listening to you on the Live Drive on the way home. You better win. But a lot of that is up to the voters, a lot of whom are a couple fries short of a happy meal. Or apathetic. We need to mobilize the sane voters.
  8. DW posted on 02/24/2014 09:15 AM
    As a person who has voted Liberal and NDP at the provincial level John Tory brings a progressive and prudent balance to his politics.

What some confuse as lack of background most reasonable people would see as measured thought and integrity with an attempt to be as inclusive and positive as at possible.

The city cannot afford another four years of late night antics and an agenda based on slurs and meanness.

The Ford Brothers are barons of the label business. They love to label people and ideas and simplify things beyond reality. Their lies are lot like their labels. They stick.

Time for a candidate who will make the city the vital metropolis of the nation not just a suburb looking for slogans. All success to Mr. Tory and his team.
    1. CoffeeCon posted on 02/24/2014 09:36 AM
      @DW The city is bankrupt on an agenda of 'inclusiveness'. Inclusive of my piece of the pie, thats what it means, and Thats exactly what we need less of.
    2. Angry Bill posted on 02/24/2014 09:55 AM
      @DW I think you have summed up the situation nicely, DW.

John Tory has integrity. None of the others do. A vote for anyone else is a vote against integrity. Which is fine, if you're okay with continuing to have the same old type of government that we have been subjected to for years, both at the municipal level and especially provincial.
  9. Frankie posted on 02/24/2014 09:30 AM
    The best scenario for Toronto would be Ford being charged, leaving Tory and Stintz. Stintz is two-faced so presumably she won't get much support, and hopefully she'll throw her support behind Tory. Then we need a few lefties to water down Chow.

Tory doesn't have the edge that's needed however he will hopefully squeak in.

He's the best of a poor slate of candidates.
  10. Cynthia posted on 02/24/2014 09:30 AM
    Unfortunately, John Tory is a "red " tory and even his kids joined the camp of Smitherman in the last mayoral vote.
  11. CoffeeCon posted on 02/24/2014 09:34 AM
    Just so I'm clear; Tory wants the 'Downtown Relief Line' to be a LRT or subway? He's greasy on his position so lets get that nailed down first- that will eliminate stintz, who's useless except for shouting 'LRT LRT LRT' anyway.

Secondly, besides being the moderate left, and eliminating Chow in this financially sensitive climate; will Tory be committing to raising, or NOT raising our taxes. Can't wait to see.. or not be shown!

Ps. This race is NOT about 'likeabilityl, someone tell mooore.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 02/24/2014 10:02 AM
      @CoffeeCon Hi CoffeeCon. I'm not sure that the term "greasy" and John Tory fit together in the same sentence. Whatever John's faults might be, I'm going to bet dollars to donuts that being "greasy" isn't one of them.

And unfortunately, I think this race will be about likeability. Most political races are. Very few people will vote for someone they don't like, regardless of their stated policies.

And for those who don't think Tory has a backbone, I think you'll be surprised over the next few months. John thought long and hard before entering this race, and he didn't do it lightly or for self-serving purposes. Other candidates may *say* they are joining the race because they want to do what's right for the right reasons, but John Tory is the only one of them I would actually believe in that regard.

Like his policies or not, you can at least be sure that there is integrity behind his words. I have no such conviction regarding any of the other candidates.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 10:36 AM
      @Angry Bill After going through many of your posts, I can see that you're rooting for Tory ;p Doesn't surprise me- I saw that twinkle many months away.

I don't have anything necessarily against the man- as many of the other commenters have point out. My only "pet-peeve" is that him running for mayor would be a wasted effort. I had a feeling that he was going to run- reason being that lately, there was a lot of Fridays where Adrian Bhatra and Ed Keenen (I apologize if I butcher any names or make mistakes here) took over his show.
      This may be hard to hear BILL, but unfortunately John is too nice. And city politics is way too unstructured for him to prosper. Unfortunately, as far as I see it, it's either you go with the "flow", or you take the continual "beating" Ford got. Ford didn't (and still isn't) going with "flow". The thing about Ford though is that he doesn't give a rats ass.
      Tory's focus is going to be about "building bridges". Which is fine. But you cannot do it with this council group. I've said it many times before. If Tory wants to do what Ford does without the drama, he is going to have to be comfortable sometimes being the lone wolf. I really don't see that for him.
      Even Adam Vaughn on the round table was a bit upset when Tory said that council is dysfunctional- and that he should alter his comments a bit. The truth is, you cannot be friends or build bridges with these people. They are too far gone, and council needs an overhaul. Tory will find that out soon enough if he manages to get elected. And if he ends up drinking himself into an alcoholic- he may finally understand, why Ford is the way he is.

Tory would better serve us all if he took over Hudak's role. He would be guaranteed a victory there. Think about it. The ONLY reason why nobody will vote for the PCs is because of Tim Hudak. People would instead rather vote for the same Liberal pig (with lipstick), and pay the price. It's an absurd reality- but it is the one in which we live. Tory would change the face of the PCs- and he wouldn't even have to do anything. Just walk in, say he's the new PC leader, and all those votes that wouldn't vote PCs because they don't trust them, would surely turn up.

Tory is wasting his time running for mayor. And if he wins, I fear he is going to end up hating himself when his term is through.
    3. Angry Bill posted on 02/24/2014 11:15 AM
      @Karl Burgin Hey, Karl. You're right, I've certainly not hidden my support for Tory over the past several months. I also agree with your reasons for him running provincially, instead of municipally. Unfortunately, the time is not right for him taking over the PCs. John Tory has said that you do not switch leaders this close to an election. It confuses voters. Right or wrong, this is what he believes. Me, I think we already have enough confused voters who have no problem with putting the liberals back in power.

All that being said, we have to work with what we have. And right now, that is John Tory running for mayor, not premier. So let's make the best of it and at least install him in the mayor's chair. He is the best candidate.

Regarding the current crop of councilors and getting rid of them, realistically that is not going to happen. A left-leaning, liberal socialist crowd in the 416 put them in council in the first place, and they'll do so again. Nothing we can do there, so whoever is the mayor will have to continue dealing with them. What we can do, however, is put Tory in as mayor.

And whoever that mayor is, like it or not, will need to build bridges. Rob's modus operandi so far has been to burn bridges, not build them... look how well that's worked out. Granted, the socialist council wasn't really planning on working with Ford in the first place. As soon as he got in, the leftist element was working full time to get him tossed out.

Tory was right, though.. Council IS dysfunctional. If Vaughn has an issue with that simple truth, then he is part of the dysfunction.

For what it's worth, I don't believe Tory will alter his principles just to make "friends". Regardless what some people think, I believe he has a bit more backbone than that. Building bridges doesn't mean you prostitute yourself out for the popular vote, or catering to every special interest group that wants you to do things their way. Building bridges is about finding common ground, and working from there to achieve a mutually desired goal. This is not a bad thing.

So yes.. while Tory would be a much better provincial candidate, what we have instead is a mayoral candidate. Let's at least give him that. And then, after a successful term as mayor, don't you think that would bolster his chances at the provincial level?
    4. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 11:35 AM
      @Angry Bill I can only say I hope you're right about Tory- I'm not at the level you are yet. And it may be many months into Tory's term before I can arrive at something more conclusive.
      The only counter I can see having Ford as mayor again- is exactly that. Ford being voted mayor again. Hopefully council will see that as a wake-up call, and not to mess around with the people's mayor second time around. And hopefully things will settle down into the realm of the "boring" (as it should be). But that's just me and wishful thinking on my part.

However, as to switching PC leaders, I gotta disagree with Tory's philosophy on that one. Ontario is teetering on the head of a pin- and finding an alternative to the Liberal Party (with the NDP joined at the hip), is top priority. So if that means switching leaders, to get people to NOT vote Liberals, then so be it. I shudder at the thought of the Liberals being voted in again, and the plans they have for all of us. Tory's integrity would best be served as Premiere- because we desperately need someone to fill the "integrity-void" that is currently occupied by out Liberals.
      And besides, a provincial election seems to be looming more realistically towards the fall, or possibly spring of next year. I don't see it happening this spring. Or if Wynne had her way, she would probably have it during the summer- when much people aren't paying attention.
      The problem BILL is choice- or the the lack thereof. And if people are resigned to re-electing a party that they know is going to screw them over, then something is terribly wrong with that picture. Or being bamboozled with the pretty lights and sparkles that the Liberals are ACTUALLY doing a good job- to the point where they have a positive approval rating?!?!?!?! I'm sorry but that's just messed up.

As far as I see it, provincial leadership is Level Omega priority. We are being side-tracked with Toronto affairs. And I have a nagging feeling at the back of my head, that this may be by design.
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 11:38 AM
      @Angry Bill In the words of Mufasa to the young Simba:

John Tory.....you are more than what you want to become. You must take your place in the circle of life- and become Ontario's premiere. Remember........remember........remember.......... ;p
    6. Angry Bill posted on 02/24/2014 04:46 PM
      @Karl Burgin Karl, if so much wasn't at stake, I'd love to see Rob get back in.. If only to see the interesting shades of purple on the councilors' faces. That would be priceless, and almost worth it.

But here's the rub.. every time lately that I've heard Rob or Doug speak, I can't help but see that they are in a far out alternate reality. Listening to the clip from Doug, I got a small inkling of the type of campaign the Ford brothers are planning on running. Messy. Very messy. It won't be pretty. And there won't be much addressing of relevant issues, just pounding home the same old message about Rob's "track record", compared to others' track records. And the way Doug mentioned Tory's track record, he was basically discounting it.. I KNOW they'll be running on their opinion that Tory has no track record, that he is a three time loser, yada yada. Such statements are the sort of fodder that their base gobbles up.. short, canned sentences that are meant to be taken whole, and not part of a broader context. People who bought into their "gravy train" slogan, which got Rob elected. People who aren't interested in thinking about the issues, but who are content with a slogan.

The more I have watched Rob work, the more I am convinced he is in over his head. There is a reason he is most comfortable when he is in an adversarial position. That gives him the opportunity to stand there with his slogans (Subway, subway, subway) instead of having to try to deal with the details and minutiae necessary to actually move things forward.

But the clip that solidified my opinion that they are in a far different alternate reality was when Doug accused 1010 of being biased, and in the same breath said that when he and Doug had their show on 1010, that they both were completely unbiased. I think Doug honestly believes that the Rob and Doug Sunday show was the only unbiased show on 1010. Like I said, alternate reality.
    7. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 07:59 PM
      @Angry Bill I will give you one thing....I do sometimes cringe when Doug talks. Because he does tend to get caught in a loop sometimes- and I do wonder if he ever realizes it. And I fear somewhere down the line it would hurt the campaign.
      I do sometimes close my eyes when he does get caught, and hope to God that no one was paying attention ;p

It's too bad they lost Mark Towhey though- he would've been able to manage Ford better....if Rob listens when it matters most.
    8. Angry Bill posted on 02/25/2014 09:27 AM
      @Karl Burgin hehe, I think this deep in the comment section, you and I are the only ones reading our walls of text, Karl. I'm sure other people's eyes have glazed over before reading this far!

But yeah, I'm glad you notice what I mean about when Doug talks. I don't know how else to explain it. To me, though, that's a game stopper.
    9. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 09:37 AM
      @Angry Bill Well...when you mentioned it would be a messy campaign, were you hoping it would be anything but....

Didn't you get the subtle hints from the Fords last year...
      *Rob Ford comparing himself to a great white shark
      *Ford saying that the mayoral race is going to be a blood-bath

If anything, I guess the consolation would be that at least more people are paying attention to Toronto civil politics. And are more interested in the outcome. I know I have.
      Now if there was only a way to get more people involved in what happens provincially... ;p
  12. Nt2014 posted on 02/24/2014 10:16 AM
    Our city deserves a mayor with integrity, intelligence, financial acumen and not the least - CLASS. John Tory is definitely a candidate who would fit the bill.

While conservative in respect to financial policy, he is has social conscience and can work with any group in the city to achieve the progress in all aspects of our lives.

John Tory is very strong candidate and I wish him all the best. I hope he and the rest of the real alternatives avoid vote splitting and giving an advantage to Ford. Our great city had enough of a "mayor" that made us the laughing stock of late night shows.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 10:38 AM
      @Nt2014 Ask yourself this....
      If Tory wins, and there is no more media hiding behind fences/bushes or following him up to the cottage, will you then admit that there wasn't a media vendetta all along against Ford to begin with?
    2. Maggie posted on 02/24/2014 10:42 AM
      @Nt2014 You said what I feel in my heart, but couldn't find the right words. Thanks for saying all that is right about John Tory. I so hope he becomes our Mayor. We need someone who is classy, smart, and a true representative of our great city. He will be an amazing Mayor. Please Toronto vote him in!
    3. Big Daddy7777 posted on 02/24/2014 04:04 PM
      @Karl Burgin Karl - what a moronic comment! You think that there was never a shred of evidence to suggest he had more than his fair of skeletons in the closet. Where there's gun powder, there's usually a gun.
    4. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 04:13 PM
      @Big Daddy7777 Really???? Are we really going to go there????
      *Mr. Trudeau Junior admits to have done pot a few times. Where are the cameras and media following him around on the matter? Why hasn't anyone delved into his personal life yet?
      *Anna Bailao was CHARGED with impaired driving. Where is the back story on her- what skeletons are in her closet?
      *Paul Ainsle- another city councillor got his licence suspended for driving legally drunk. If this were Rob Ford, it would be a media explosion. Why isn't the same applied here?

Where there's smoke, there's fire? Please do not get me started- and spare me the self-righteous attitude. These are just the councillors that happened to be caught in public breaking the law. What about the other councillors which we don't know what they've done?????

Don't be so quick to point fingers...and my (rhetorical) question still stands...
    5. Big Daddy7777 posted on 02/24/2014 04:29 PM
      @Karl Burgin Karl - give me a f&^^in break - When Ford was a councillor and admitted many wrongdoings after initially lying about them (getting busted in Florida for DUI and possession, getting booted out of the ACC after being hammered and acting belligerent towards other patrons) there were not the throngs of media following him around...it was only when he took the office of Mayor that this justified probing started to take place.
    6. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 04:41 PM
      @Big Daddy7777 Yes there were throng of media.....maybe not as big as you see now. But the head cheerleader for that merry band was the Toronto Star.
      When the mayor took office, there was no real issue that prompted the media to report on him.
      For instance, when the CBC stormed his lawn in their pathetic get-up, what prompted that?
      Or when NOW magazine had a fake photo of a naked mayor, what was the cause for that?
      And when the mayor finally had it with the overly negative press, he decided not to meet with some, namely the Star anymore. So what happened? The Star went to the integrity commissioner....

It's been story, after story, after story, after story on Ford. And this was before any booze/drug use.
      The ONLY reason why I joined this forum, was because of the continual trash stories. And that was before the drug use.
      It was more constructive for me to vent here, than risk breaking my radio whenever the media printed another smear story.

Wake up BIG DADDY! Ford may have given the media fodder at times. But the majority of it has been first strike from their side.

ALSO
      When Ford was councillor, I barely ever heard of the man. And there never any stories about him. Only when he was close to first becoming mayor, that was when you started seeing the media coverage.
      Stop, and ask yourself for a moment, 'why that is?'
    7. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 04:47 PM
      @Big Daddy7777 ...and you never really acknowledged the examples I gave- or countered them.

So you are either being in denial, or willfully blind.
    8. Big Daddy7777 posted on 02/24/2014 04:51 PM
      @Karl Burgin You try and make the point of where's the media hounding the likes of other councillors and I respond citing that the media's scrutiny kicked in when he was mayor....you then make references to the throngs of media when he was mayor and go on to say that you hadn't even heard of him when he was a councillor...you answered your own previous question...DIMWIT!
    9. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 05:00 PM
      @Big Daddy7777 Your last point makes no sense- and I'm the dimwit...lol

...on top of that, you start name-calling, when I've kept the debate as civil as possible.

Hmmm.......
  13. john posted on 02/24/2014 10:34 AM
    lets hope for Toronto sake john tory or rob gets in . anyone else would be wasting a vote . Karin stintz has not proved to me that she is even fit to be mayor . chow wants the screw taxpayers out of all the money thay got . wonton wants to do the same thing . i can only see the 2 of them fit to be mayor . if not u guys are screwed big time .
  14. Dublin25 posted on 02/24/2014 11:50 AM
    John Tory running for Mayor.....best news I've heard in a while. Full disclosure, I voted for Ford last time and it has become one of my biggest missteps. It will not happen again. Ford is delusional if he thinks that his antics, those bordering on criminal are not going to affect former supporters decision in October. I will be reminding everyone that will listen that Ford is a pathetic excuse for a Mayor and the reasons why. Tory knows that in order to be successful whether as an individual or a company, you must compete aggressively, but more importantly you must be willing to collaborate and compromise.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 11:56 AM
      @Dublin25 So let me get this straight...
      If I take your logic, and apply it provincially.....

The Liberals actions HAVE been deemed as criminal- as they are currently under investigation. But the majority of voters are still going to vote for them.
      The NDP are compromising, and building bridges with the Liberals- but Horwath is seen as two-faced because she is supporting the Liberals on one-hand, but tongue-lashing them on the other.
      Hudak's PCs had the integrity not to even bat an eye at the Liberals in term of supporting them- but currently, the shot at the Premiere's chair is still yet a twinkle in the distance.

Am I missing anything, or does this sound about right?
    2. Cynthia posted on 02/24/2014 12:18 PM
      @Karl Burgin I am always suspicious those people who say "they voted for Ford, but". We are voting for someone to take on the business of the city and not be sidelined by the backbiting, nasty stand of the left leaning councillors. Some people are easily swayed.
    3. gary wicks posted on 02/24/2014 12:28 PM
      @Dublin25 I agree ... like you I voted for Mr. Ford ... not again ... it was sad to watch your Mayor become a laughing stock of the world basically ... Toronto is better than that. Mr. Tory may get elected ... but the other hangers on will muddy the waters as they do now ... subway upgrade ... no light rapid ... no subway .. what about the expressway ... subways ... taxes ... no new taxes .. what about raising taxes ... duh??
    4. john posted on 02/24/2014 12:36 PM
      @Karl Burgin nope that sounds like u got it all to me .
  15. Gary Wicks posted on 02/24/2014 12:20 PM
    I cannot believe the Mr. Tory would actually join the happy throng being Toronto City Council. It is a job that is destined to fail again unless the people of Toronto actually elect councillors that are really there for the people rather than the ego trips the current councillors are on. It is the samr every year ... first you can never have that many people agree on anything ... so it's like herding cats. This group just cannot make a majority vote on anything to help the city. Doug Ford .. John Tory it does not matter ... people need to turn out at election time and clear out the dead wood
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 12:49 PM
      @Gary Wicks "Council is like herding cats"....love the analogy...lol

As to the overall problem with Council, Tory has to have the guts to put on a magician's hat, and saw council in half. That would be the first order of business. Let's see if he has the guts to do so- or include this in his campaign....
    2. Angry Bill posted on 02/24/2014 01:05 PM
      @Karl Burgin He doesn't have the power. No mayor does. Something like that would have to be voted for by the council, or imposed by Queen's Park. The first wouldn't happen, and the second wouldn't happen either, as most of the provincial liberals' support comes from the 416. They're not about to shoot that holy liberal cow.
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 01:27 PM
      @Angry Bill I'm not saying that Tory would have the power.
      What I'm saying is, in his attempt to juggle both acts- be friends with council, and carry on Fords agenda- is he willing to make himself a target. Such as "cutting council in half" being one of them.

Because given Mr. Vaughn's stance this morning, they want someone other than Rob Ford, only because they want things to return to how things were before Ford.
      As for the cutting of council, you're right- the first scenario where council would vote for that, would be the day pigs fly over an inverted monochrome rainbow. As for the second scenario, that's more hopeful given that there is a SLIM sliver of hope that the Liberals would be replaced.

If Tory wants to change Council culture, he's gong to have to have the guts to make the tough choices- and I can only hope he shows his mettle.
      As to how you change council culture, and build bridges doing so- well that's the million dollar question....but nothing will ever get done (even with the best of intentions) if that magic number 44 doesn't dwindle anytime soon.
  16. veronica weinseis posted on 02/24/2014 12:24 PM
    Yahoo, my prayers have been answered, it is about bloody time.John Tory is exactly what this City needs. He will bring back integrity to the office of the Mayor and be able to work with all levels of government in a way in which we have not seen in a long time. It is time to get rid of the Circus. I believe he will work hard for everyone in this City and people should stop listening to the nonsense. Let's bring class back to the Office and have a Mayor who can actually speak for himself.
  17. Galileo posted on 02/24/2014 02:57 PM
    Nick Kouvalis is reportedly on Mr. Tory's campaign team. He may be just the person to push Mr. Tory to develop and demonstrate that backbone many say he needs.

John Tory would definitely bring a sense of class and integrity back to the Mayor's office. He talks a bit too fast and he tends to talk over people but he is articulate. I miss having an articulate mayor.

I'm concerned that John Tory is not as fiscally conservative as I would like. Overall, however, he's the best of the lot.

The only thing that would keep me from voting for him is if he allows Sarah Thomson to latch onto him like she did Smitherman during the last election. She currently believes herself to be an important transit advocate. Send her packing, Mr. Tory, if she tries to use you to get back in the limelight.
  18. ad posted on 02/24/2014 03:35 PM
    John is indeed a nice guy, but lacked the splash of a good talk show host for 1010. I would regularly tune in then tune out instantly as soon as he went on long winded boring political shpeel. I'm drained enough as it is after work..
    I think Bill Carroll has the spunk for afternoon, he defined my morning routine for many years and was very sad to see him go, nothing was the same for weeks!

As for John running again, It's almost a non issue. Blood is in the water for Toronto and they will vote anyone matching the agenda of cleaning up government office and spending. Reducing anything of waste in the city is a top priority before spending more. May the man who makes the least mistakes win.
  19. dama posted on 02/24/2014 04:08 PM
    Wow what a powerful campaign team even with ex campaign manager Nick Kouvalis
    working for John Tory.,.. can you imagine the "payback day" once JT is elected?

Who will be JT's chief of staff? $200 K minimum?

Now when is Olivia Chow registering?

Start the REAL campaign ...

Who's money is on Rob Ford ?

20. Cynthia posted on 02/24/2014 04:22 PM
    I would be willing to bet the fix is already in and Stintz and Tory will join up to beat Ford. Tory cannot afford to lose again and Stintz will be again angling for a great position.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 04:41 PM
      @Cynthia I can see that too...
    2. Angry Bill posted on 02/24/2014 05:01 PM
      @Cynthia I'd like to offer a small correction. It isn't Tory who cannot afford to lose again. It is the voters of Toronto who cannot afford to lose again. And that's exactly what will happen if they don't smarten up and vote for Tory this time.
    3. Galileo posted on 02/24/2014 06:12 PM
      @Cynthia I can't see Tory and Stintz teaming up. He used to be a big fan of hers until she stabbed Ford in the back by saying she supported his subway plan and then did a 180. Tory said she should have resigned as TTC Chair at that point. When she suddenly did another 180 and supported the subway in Scarborough Tory made comments at various times on air describing her as a flip-flopper. No love lost between those two.

If Tory loses the election he hasn't lost anything other than that. It's an admirable thing that he's done by putting himself out there time after time. That's a lot more than I suspect most of us critics here have done. Win or lose he can be proud of himself and what he's done with his life.
    4. Karl Burgin posted on 02/24/2014 07:51 PM
      @Galileo Well said here...
    5. dama posted on 02/26/2014 03:21 PM
      @Galileo JT is in not that it is an ADMIRABLE" thing to do, he is in to win but he lost 3 times.. JT could have been the Premier if he didn't "fund his faith based school" and he was leading in the poll at that election.. he lost based on that policy...

Wht did Tim Hudak back tracked from his rigt to work, he will lose if he kept at it...

If Rob Ford beats JT in this election.. JT is finished, he can be just a policy advisor as he did for David and Martin..

JT needs to win - Oct 27/2014 and the latest poll showed he is 3rd if Olivia Chow throws in her name..
  21. Cynthia posted on 02/24/2014 06:35 PM
    At some point during the campaign, Stintz will quit, run again for council and throw her support behind Tory. This has all been set up.
  22. RJ Ward posted on 02/24/2014 11:40 PM
    Glad he is off the air, does 1010 plan to hire him back after he looses to Ford?
  23. Enzo posted on 02/25/2014 09:27 AM
    So the man that gave us David Miller and Dalton Mcguinty is running for mayor I really hope he drops out or we will end up with Olivia Chow, when you agree with everyone you have no spine you can't be a leader.
    Mr. Tory please drop out you are a loser and will always be.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 09:46 AM
      @Enzo That's a bit harsh. While in my opinion, Tory may not have a strong back-bone, I can safely say that the integrity is there.
      And we shouldn't really be blaming Tory for losing to Miller and McGuinty. You have the liberal voters of Toronto for giving you Miller- twice. And the apathetic voters of Ontario for ushering McGuinty. And I include myself in partially being responsible for Ontario getting McGuinty- only because at the time I didn't vote. Partially because I didn't make the time, and that I was a bit confident that voters wouldn't be dumb enough to let him back in.
      And I DISTINCTLY remember Ryan Doyle preaching from the top of his lungs, begging voters to get rid of McGuinty.

Tory should run provincially, because I think he would be guaranteed a win there. Nobody wants Kathleen Wynne. But people are only voting for her because there is no alternative. An absurd notion- but reality nonetheless. Tory has been on radio long enough- so the exposure is there, and many would already know his personality. As Tim Hudak's isn't coming across to people as it should.

But back to point, again I reiterate, Tory isn't the reason why he lost twice. The people of Ontario should all stand in front of a large mirror, and strike a pose.
    2. Angry Bill posted on 02/25/2014 10:35 AM
      @Enzo You're out to lunch on this one, Enzo.

Tory offered himself up for public service. In fact, he was the only politician who ran for the right reasons, instead of self-serving reasons like the other politicians that people like you voted in. Tory offered integrity, the only one to do so.

However, you voters wanted nothing to do with integrity. So you voted in McGuinty and Miller. You got the government you deserved.

It isn't Tory's fault. At least he put himself out there. It's the voters' fault for being too small-minded. Tory put himself out there twice, which is two times more than any of you have done. And unlike his opponents, Tory WAS actually there for the right reasons.

You don't deserve someone like Tory running things. You really don't. It's the duty of small-minded people everywhere to pull down people greater than they are so that everyone's on the same low level. So by all means, keep voting liberal. That will ensure everyone stays on the same low level, and you'll all be happy.
    3. Enzo posted on 02/25/2014 04:02 PM
      @Angry Bill I have voted for John Tory in all elections that he was in, I never vote for the other parties, but we lose because we run a liberal minded politician like Mr. Tory, and conservatives get frustrated and don't vote, it happens all the time.
      Listening to him on his show I don't see a difference between him and the liberals, he is always willing to tax us more to do more "good" for all, I am tired of paying taxes and I want someone who will actually cut our taxes. Mr Tory is not one who will, just listen to him.
    4. Angry Bill posted on 02/25/2014 04:40 PM
      @Enzo Perhaps, Enzo. But here's the thing... At this late date, especially as far as the liberals are concerned, do you really put much, or ANY, stock in what a politician is promising you? They promise you no new taxes.. really? How well did that promise turn out for McGuinty? Or even Ford?

You'd be happier if Tory lied like the other politicians and promised no tax increases? Well, that's the difference between Tory and the others. Tory is actually honest. The other politicians are not.

I would much, MUCH rather have an honest person with scruples at the helm. And do you deny what he said? He said that if you want to spend billions on subways and LRTs, that it will most likely involve a tax increase somewhere. I mean, no shyte, Sherlock! I would be extremely suspicious of any politician that promises to spend billions and it won't cost you anything extra.

People are obfuscating the real issue. I just can't believe that people are believing the same old crap from the same old politicians. They don't know how to handle an honest man like Tory.

Fine, then. Go vote for whatever politician promises to not give you any more taxes. Again. Just do not ever complain about your higher taxes after that person you voted for gets in.

I'll take an honest Tory, regardless of his political leanings, over any other lying politician any day. What the heck is it with you people and your aversion to honesty in politicians???
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 04:49 PM
      @Enzo And that's the thing ENZO. You did good, and did the responsible thing. Now, you have to look to your left, and then to your right, and figure out who's irresponsible vote was responsible for Tory not winning.
      You can lead the voters of Ontario to water ENZO. But you can't force the dimwits to drink it.
  24. Shirley Hawkins posted on 02/25/2014 07:49 PM
    Mr. Tory or John (as I would prefer). You have a very short time frame to garner popular support in a divided city. I offer a number of communications strategies to enlist the 'other sides' proven in work in public government issues. I don't need money but I do need a better government for Toronto. Shirley Hawkins
  25. David posted on 03/12/2014 11:38 AM
    JOHN TORY SHOULD GO BACK AND WORK AT NEWSTOCK 1010
    HE DOESN'T HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE THE MAYOR OF TORONTO
    IF JOHN TORY GETS ELECTED WHICH HE WON'T BUT IF HE DID.. THE CITY OF TORONTO WILL GO BACK TO THE OLD DAYS
    VOTE FOR ROB FORD; HE SAVES TAX PAYERS MONEY AND CARES ABOUT OUR FUTURE.
    DON'T HATE ON HIM BECAUSE OF HIS PERSONAL LIFE BECAUSE HE DOES HIS JOB RIGHT!!

The TDSB has appointed a panel to look into the Hamid Aminzada murder. Will it make a difference?