WATCH: Rob Ford on a mission for Federal funding, runs from questions about drug use

Ford pledges to push for more Federal cash for Toronto, then walks away when asked about drug use

Rob Ford storms out of a news conference after being asked questions about drug use
Photo: James Moore/NEWSTALK 1010

Rob Ford says he's on a mission to get Toronto's "fair share" of government funding.

The Mayor is off to Ottawa on Wednesday to attend a meeting of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.

He'll sit down for discussions with 21 other Mayors from across Canada, as well as representatives from the Federal government.

Infrastructure funding is expected to be front-and-centre.

The Mayor says he will push for financial help to build new subway lines and request assistance from the Federal government to cover the $2.6 billion Ford says is needed to get Toronto's public housing complexes caught up with repairs and refurbishments.

"Years of under-investing has left us far behind on where we should be on transit and housing," Ford says.

"My administration has accomplished a great deal on this front but we can't do it alone.  The Federal and provincial governments must acknowledge the unique needs of the largest city in Canada."

Ford has shunned these meetings in the past, saying that he was not elected to "fly around the world."

He has also been critical of city councillors who have gone to other events sponsored by the FCM.

However, the Federal government recently announced $14 billion dollars in infrastructure funding will be put up for grabs for cities that can make a successful pitch.  With the Mayor facing an election this Fall, it could explain Ford's change of heart.

Likely referring to long-time family friend, Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, Ford suggests he might have the inside track on landing Toronto the money it needs.  "I have my contacts up in Ottawa.  They've treated us very well.  I look forward to sitting down with the other big city Mayors," he says.

Ford stormed out of a news conference where he was speaking about his upcoming trip.

Reporters pushed him to clarify comments he made on NBC's The Today Show mere hours before.

The Mayor was asked by host Matt Lauer whether he has used illegal drugs since he promised to clean up his life in the wake of admitting he smoked crack cocaine.

"I don't use illegal drugs, I experimented with them probably a year ago," Ford said.

"Don't be jealous because I do an interview with an American station," he said.

Ford insisted that he had already answered the question.

1. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 03:28 PM
    "The Mayor was asked again later at City Hall but when given a chance to set the record straight, he stormed away with his staffers in tow."

Reporters want to set the record straight??!?!?!
    The man answered the questions when he was asked point-blank on NBC. Why are you maggots following him around when you're either going to get the same answer, or no answer.

And they wonder why Ford garners so much sympathy? Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Exhibit "A".
    1. arthur posted on 02/25/2014 04:34 PM
      @Karl Burgin I don't believe he garners much sympathy from the honest hard working taxpayer who goes to work everyday and keeps his or her nose clean and just goes home to their families at the end of the day and doesn't drink and drive or do crack. But when you have a reputation of waking up telling lies, lying all day long to everyone and going to sleep telling lies you have to hold him to account. Everyone (maybe except you) knows he was lying through is stinkin teeth during the interview so stand up like a man and deal with it and don't coward out.
      Another thing! he's going cap in hand now to everyone the feds the province. he used to ridicule everyone else for that right?
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 04:44 PM
      @arthur His support numbers speak differently in terms of sympathy.

But answer me this ARTHUR....which part was he lying about? The part where he said he did drink despite saying he wouldn't ever again. Or the part where he said he doesn't do drugs, and that he only experimented.

I've already illustrated with someone else before where that twisted logic goes. But let me recap for you.
      You, by your very own words, label Ford as an absolute liar. So he is incapable of telling the truth right?
      So why are you believing some portions of his statements, and not others?
      I'm betting you believe Ford when he said he drinks- but don't when he says he doesn't do drugs...
      It's either he is an absolute liar ARTHUR, or he is telling you the truth- and not what you want to hear. You can't have it both ways...

But let's leave the personal stuff out of it and delve into his accomplishments as mayor. Oh wait....I guess that's all an illusion full of lies too...
    3. arthur posted on 02/25/2014 05:11 PM
      @Karl Burgin everyday Karl.
      anyone with common sense knows he probably drinks everyday. at home, in his car in parks, in alleys, everywhere. people with substance problems like him will lie about everything.
      his accomplishment are all bullshit also because he's one vote. council is supreme on any file
      cutting services and hiking user fees i don't call accomplishments. i call it hurting the lower class.
      I don't believe a freakin word out of his mouth or his brothers Karl. not an effing word. nothing! i think he lies to his wife, his kids, everyone.
      I'm just surprised this man is still walking the streets and not tied down inside some room in some sanatorium being examinated
    4. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 06:45 PM
      @arthur Your response was expected and thats GREAT!
      Because by your very own words, Rob Ford has lied when he smoked crack, and when he admitted in getting into drunken stupors.
      Because the man is incapable of telling the truth, everything he ever admitted was a lie.
    5. gay for fod posted on 02/25/2014 06:51 PM
      @arthur Honey you need to get a life. I am hard working taxpayer and I am gay and I will vote for Ford. He actually got rid of a tax unbelievable, love him. the media of Toronto is jealous petty angry and ugly and a bunch of hacks and mayor Ford proves that. Hello Ford was part of Jimmy Kimmel's 2000 show and Kimmel stated he doesn't like ford he loves ford. He was part of seth Meyers first show, hello the whole world love ford except the hack media of Toronto all of them are hacks and losers and the blood sucking union sympathizers. I am gay and will ford for ford again. He has kept all his promises love him.
  2. Only Common Sense posted on 02/25/2014 04:29 PM
    Regarding your " ...Exhibit "A".

"A" stands for ABJECT - meaning
    "allowing no hope of improvement or relief", and "utterly despicable or contemptible",
    both of which aptly describe the on-going behaviour of the failed mayor-in-name-only.

You are unwittingly correct, Karl, chief apologist for everything Ford.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 04:38 PM
      @Only Common Sense You're nothing more than an A for Absolute ASS.
      Who can't even see beyond his own disdain and hatred. There you go...
    2. First Time Poster posted on 02/25/2014 04:49 PM
      @Karl Burgin I've enjoyed watching this Only Common Sense person beat you into the floor with your own words for a few months. I've never posted before but I couldn't resist this time. IMO you are almost always on the wrong side of the argument, but more importantly you are never a match for this person. Save the embarrassment of your angry and rude words and stop trying to get the better of him/her. It isn't working my friend.
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 04:55 PM
      @First Time Poster I'm not sure if you're really a "First Time Poster", but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
      But I should also point out, that there were many who couldn't beat me, so the next best thing was to imitate my name, and (rather pathetically) my writing style.
      Do the imitators KARL BURGIN's BRAIN, or KARL BURGIN's BOYFRIEND ring a bell- since you've said you've been reading mine and NO COMMON SENSE material for months...

I'm not sure if I should be annoyed or flattered.
      BTW- ease up on the compliments to Mr. Common Sense over hear. We wouldn't want that big head of his to swell any bigger.
    4. First Time Poster posted on 02/25/2014 05:08 PM
      @Karl Burgin Your last sentence is showing your frustration again at being so thoroughly beaten up by Only Common Sense's posts.
      For your own good, please read and heed the last two sentences in my first comment to you. You really appear foolish.
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 06:52 PM
      @First Time Poster Ah, no...I'm not frustrated at all. More like amused. It was just a tongue-in-cheek comment.
      But please, feel free to put on a mini-skirt, and sport some pom-poms in support of your new-found delusional hero- NO COMMEN SENSE

*I spelled common incorrectly on purpose...just for your buddy and his spell-checking ways
    6. First Time Poster posted on 02/25/2014 10:28 PM
      @Karl Burgin You are extremely sensitive when you're bested aren't you?

I already see the same qualities coming from you towards me as I've observed over the past several months in your exchanges with others.

When beaten you resort to name calling and snide innuendo.

The good news is that you have no vote in Toronto according to you and that reduces the ever-dwindling Ford Nation by yet another misguided soul.

I pity you and your blind ignorance.
    7. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 10:48 PM
      @First Time Poster 1.) I didn't name call you. NO Common Sense was the target. And only reason being, was that he decided to be snide towards me here, and on another posting. So I only thought I their to answer in kind.
      2.) Seriously, who are you? Are you a regular disguised under another name. I've come across first time posters before- even those who stand on your side of the fence. But at least they had substance- of which you're sorely lacking.
      3.) Take a look at the numbers in the polls concerning Ford before you come to me about your grand delusions if a dwindling Ford nation. You're just as bad as Adam Vaughn.
      4.) there are others here who comment along the same lines as me, and they happen to live in Toronto. Why are you stuck on picking on an "outsider". Scared you'll joust the hornet's nest?
    8. Angry Bill posted on 02/26/2014 09:15 AM
      @First Time Poster Dude, you forgot to change your name a couple of times. You are now what... Third Time Poster by now? Or did we hit Four?
  3. arthur posted on 02/25/2014 04:39 PM
    he keeps saying my "administration" can someone tell me who's in his administration?
    1. Tim posted on 02/26/2014 05:37 AM
      @arthur His brother doug. Thats about it.
  4. HP posted on 02/25/2014 04:51 PM
    Those of us that saw his interview on this morning's Today Show saw the same old Ford. He lied, evaded questions, Doug made sure he didn't say anything stupid, it was classic Rob Ford.

The real story here is that Ford ran on a campaign based on "respect for the taxpayer", reducing taxes and waste. Where does he think the federal government get their money? The Toronto taxpayer pays municipal, provincial, and federal taxes as well as the HST, excise taxes, and service charges. Getting money from the federal government means that my taxes will go up and the federal deficit and debt will rise.

That's is not "respect for the taxpayer", that's pure and utter contempt, not only for Toronto taxpayers but all taxpayers across Canada. He doesn't seem to care that the Halifax and Vancouver taxpayers will be funding Toronto, increasing their taxes as well.

Rob is just greasing up his campaign, but the irony is that there are people in Toronto that are stupid enough to believe in what he is promoting, essentially a pyramid Ponzi scheme, paying money from new receipts and borrowed funds. It's a relief to know that many Torontonians aren't falling for this "straw man" campaign strategy. We grew up in the last three years and won't be fooled again.
  5. dama posted on 02/25/2014 05:04 PM
    "Rob Ford on a mission for Federal funding, runs from questions about drug use"

Was John Moore watching the same video I did?

Anyone see Rob Ford RUNNING away from that question?

Sensationalizing and slamming Rob Ford.. and Rob Ford did the right thing,, Dont have to answer that question, for it was asked and answered long time ago even this morning on Today's show..

Reports covering City Hall recently have become stupid..
    1. dama posted on 02/25/2014 05:08 PM
      @dama **reporters..
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/25/2014 06:54 PM
      @dama You'd be surprised how many are easily fooled by the large letter print headlines.
      If the printed "Aliens were found in area 51- and it's Rob Ford's fault", they would probably buy that too.
  6. gay for Ford posted on 02/25/2014 07:05 PM
    the media of Toronto is jealous petty angry and ugly and a bunch of hacks and mayor Ford proves that. Hello Ford was part of Jimmy Kimmel's 2000 show and Kimmel stated he doesn't like ford he loves ford. He was part of seth Meyers first show, hello the whole world love ford except the hack media of Toronto all of them are hacks and losers and the blood sucking union sympathizers. I am gay and will vote for ford again. He has kept all his promises love him.
  7. Brian posted on 02/25/2014 10:45 PM
    To All of FordNation - why do you think it is wise to give the keys of the city to a middle age teenager who thinks it is cool to experiment with illegal drugs? - he said he is not a addict so he must still trying to find his purpose for his life
    1. dama posted on 02/26/2014 02:52 PM
      @Brian Even when one is mature, doesnt mean that one has REALLY found his purpose for one's life...

I bet most have at one time in their lives, experimented with something that is illegal.. smoking pot, take Meth, some even shoplifted...

I am not perfect too,, and most are not as well..

Holier than Thou ?
  8. r2d2 posted on 02/26/2014 01:34 AM
    just so I understand what's going on. Rob Ford went to Ottawa to try and get funding.
    So he went to try and have the Feds tax more from the people and then come back and say look I'm not taxing you.
    1. Tim posted on 02/26/2014 05:38 AM
      @r2d2 That basically sums it up.
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 02/26/2014 09:24 AM
      @Tim No, it basically doesn't.

In light of the Toronto Maple Leafs choosing to not salute the fans after a win on home ice, is this the tipping point for 'Leafs Nation' support?