News

 

Province mum on Heinz deal

Company will be announcing tentative deal which will save jobs

The province's Economic Development Minister says he's not going to give any details on discussions his office has had with Heinz and potential investors.

But Eric Hoskins says his ministry is in regular contact with the company and potential investors.

On Tuesday, Newstalk 1010 learned Heinz will be making an announcement about an agreement in principle with a new supplier on Thursday which would keep the factory open for juice production.

After Heinz announce in November the plant would be closed this summer, there were worries the local economy in Leamington would have been devastated. Both 800 workers were expected to be laid off and tomato farmers would have been hit hard.

The tentative deal would save between 30-40 per cent of the workforce slated to be laid off.

The plant had already made juice - along with ketchup, baby food and beans.

Hoskins wouldn't say if any provincial money would be coming Heinz's way because of this tentative agreement.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here.

Your GTA

Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts

Becoming a member only takes 60 seconds! Members get access to exclusive information and products that non-members do not, including concert ticket presales, trips, advance notice on upcoming entertainment events, movie screening passes, music giveaways and more!

Login with Facebook

Today's Poll

What are your plans for the Easter Weekend?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hour(s) VoteResults

Top Stories

Video

Facebook

Twitter