RCMP warning snowmobilers of booby traps

A rope spanning a trail was found in the Cornwall area...

If you, or anyone in your family rides a snowmobile, this is scary.

The RCMP is warning of booby traps being set up, targetting sledders in Ontario.

The one they found was in the Cornwall area where a rope had been strung across a bridge, spanning the trail.

A couple of snowmobilers were able to escape injury by ducking when their sled came into contact with the rope.

Police believe this wasn't an accident, and the rope was intentionally placed there.

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Patrick posted on 03/05/2014 09:24 AM
    I guess at least the lead snowmobile now need those "wire diverters" on the front like helicopters and low flying aircraft have started to sprout. It is sad to think that someone would do this to intentionally injure or kill someone. If they didn't mean that, but to only slow or stop them, then they would have flagged the rope with reflective flagging had they thought beyond their flared nostrils.
    1. Katrensky posted on 03/05/2014 06:08 PM
      @Patrick I have encountered booby traps on my bicycle on the bike trail someone had placed and beam on to pole at head level I was not as lucky I ended up hitting my head on it and waking up a few moments later
    2. Phil posted on 03/06/2014 10:31 AM
      @Patrick I ride a trail bike and have even seen barbed wire across a trail!
  2. shawn posted on 03/05/2014 11:35 AM
    WOW!!!....That is pretty disgusting behaviour...how could people be so intent on doing harm to others.........sad.
  3. joe posted on 03/05/2014 11:41 AM
    These people do this so that they can steal the sleds they put the ropes across the trail so that they knock the rides off and after hitting a rope at 30 mph you wont be getting up to fight anyone... the low lives sit in the trees and when your laying on the ground they ride off with your sled.....
    1. K Nutbee posted on 03/05/2014 12:29 PM
      @joe I doubt that . That rope would take a head clean off at 30 mph. Police should be doing there best to track the perps and put them in jail for a long time. Sick
    2. dorian posted on 03/05/2014 01:22 PM
      @joe hmmm Joe??...you're not speaking from experience.... are you???
  4. johnyb posted on 03/05/2014 11:48 AM
    they do this all over lunenburg county .. it isnt the first time .. someone actually did run into one close to riverport a year or so ago .. i used to have a atv myself but i had sold it because of this .. its all fun and games till you become decapitated
    1. derek posted on 03/05/2014 05:23 PM
      @johnyb i cant believe some of the comments! how does his pic mean he wants to shoot people commenting on this? people living in fear. tighten up those drapes i can see you inside. gonna... git ya!
  5. frank posted on 03/05/2014 12:13 PM
    Any person that would intentionally do something like this to hurt people is sick. They need to be caught and punished to the limit. To me they are sick, jealous,deranged,big time total losers.
    1. George posted on 03/06/2014 11:22 AM
      @frank Maybe they're land owners pissed that snow mobilers and ATV'ers are ILLEGALLY trespassing !!
  6. Heather posted on 03/05/2014 01:10 PM
    What a sick person to think about doing something like this just for kicks. I can't believe there are so many unhappy people in this world. Right there for the killing, ruining someone's life and causing pain to so many people. They need to stop and take a break and try and turn their negativity into something positive and help change this world we live in.
    I just hope they catch the people responsible and a lot of time these acts are not done by kids, it adults that do this kind of stuff...... Just sick individuals!!!!!
  7. Mike posted on 03/05/2014 03:52 PM
    one incident and "all" of Ontario should be worried. wow! Scare tactics being used once again by police. great job boys! Earn that pension!!!!!!!!
    1. evan posted on 03/05/2014 04:03 PM
      @Mike Its not just one spot in Ontario. For the past few years (at least), in the parkhill/strathroy regions people ha e been digging trenches in trails.
    2. Jim posted on 03/05/2014 04:35 PM
      @Mike All it takes is one time and it could end someones life.
  8. sarah posted on 03/05/2014 05:24 PM
    When its 3:00 in the morning and you are trying to sleep and there are 6 skidoos being idiots in the field behind you.. I can totally understand where this person is coming from
    1. Harold posted on 03/05/2014 05:40 PM
      @sarah What a ridiculous way to think. So because some people riding snowmobiles keep you up, it's worth a (more than likely) unrelated riders potential life? Intelligent.
    2. Kristi posted on 03/05/2014 06:08 PM
      @sarah Maybe try filing a noise complaint before potentially killing someone. Wow, what a deranged way of thinking! Sad.
  9. me posted on 03/05/2014 05:33 PM
    Maybe the trails are running across native land. you see what they do to the highways.
    1. errol posted on 03/06/2014 10:06 AM
      @me no……we love snowmobiling …its fun and we have all the free land (100 of acres of reserves) to ride around in…while ur limited to a trail…..and believe me, this sick snowmobile game pissed a lot of us as well……as for the highway….we're just tryna make sure ur children have clean safe drinking water … if needing oil is better than needing water…then yea…maybe we should stop that atrocity
    2. WD posted on 03/06/2014 10:54 AM
      @me What does this have to do with aboriginal people? Seriously this is about a sick individual/people that apparently put up a rope across a snowmobile trail. (We don't know exactly where it happened, nor do we even know that it did happen. If so was it done with malicious intent?) Whether it was on private property, public trails or anywhere else is irrelevant!

I agree with the other poster that said this was one incident and wreaks of media scare hype and is not necessarily representative of what goes on all across Ontario yet it does happen and should be addressed.

To me the main issue at hand is why someone would be willing to potentially injure another person to such a great extent because they didn't want them riding their snowmobile down a trail. It doesn't take a genius to know that at just about any speed hitting a rope/wire could decapitate someone.

I can sympathize with those that have commented how annoying irresponsible snowmobilers can be (especially when alcohol is involved); yet does this mean that it's become ok in our country to try to take someones head off?

Some of this reminds me of the ridiculous situations that often arise in the US and people talk about their "rights" after shooting someone.

I'm proud to be able to live in our country and the values that most of us hold that includes respecting other people.
      I'm saddened that this would occur here, and am thankful that no one was seriously injured. I wish the first two riders that found it had just taken it down.
      I really disagree with the media using examples like this to sensationalize a story and lastly I worry when I hear the responses of so many that seem to think its justified to hurt someone else because they've upset you.
  10. Anonymous posted on 03/05/2014 06:01 PM
    I don't know about Ontario, but some snowmobile enthusiasts can be a pretty ignorant bunch, especially when they're liquored up. If they're constantly trespassing on land they've been warned to avoid, or knowingly harassing wildlife on said land... Well, sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. Just sayin'...
    1. Siob8 posted on 03/05/2014 06:45 PM
      @Anonymous @anonymous what a ridiculous thing to say. That's like saying "this person won't stop bullying me, I'm going to take matters into my own hands and take their lives". You are not the law, not are you above it. There are appropriate ways to handle the situation, like making complaints and calling the police. Think about what you say before you post it on a public forum, especially when it involves the potential loss of life.
    2. Krista posted on 03/05/2014 07:34 PM
      @Anonymous You people are unreal! Whoever did this is a sick individual.
  11. Crystal posted on 03/05/2014 09:05 PM
    Question, was this rope spread out on private property that these snowmobilers were tresspassing on? I realize that two wrongs don't make a right and that clotheslining someone and hurting them is much more serious than driving a snowmobile across someone's land, but there is something to be said for having the respect to obtain permission to be on a piece of land. Perhaps the person that set this up got tired of trespassers..
    1. Brad posted on 03/06/2014 12:57 AM
      @Crystal I don't think you understand how fragile a windpipe is... "Hurt" is a gross understatement when it comes to being clotheslined in the neck. Think of all that body weight that would be stopped just by your neck, all that force could easily kill or set someone up for a slow death. If you want to keep people off your property, try a gate, something more visible like a couple of boards. This was obviously set up by someone who is not stable enough to be on their own ( too stupid to realize [and that would take a lot of stupid], or too unstable).
    2. sandie posted on 03/06/2014 07:36 AM
      @Crystal it clearly says across a trail
  12. km posted on 03/05/2014 09:16 PM
    Isn't putting ropes/wires up illegal ... if one of my family member died or was seriously hurt by one of these and the RCMP knew who put them up let me tell you it wouldn't be pretty and there would be a lawsuit and some jail time served in addition.
  13. Ian posted on 03/05/2014 09:25 PM
    20 Or so years ago in the Halifax region 2 snowmobilers (friends) on one sled were decapitated because someone strung up piano wire between a couple of trees on a known trail. It's discusting that people are willing to kill somebody or multiple people for something so stupid. I do not ride any recreational equipment nor do I live in an area frequented by recreational equipment. It comes with the territory. You want to live in the country, you're not the only one. Do you think I'm gonna lay a spike strip across the fire department exit because they turn on their sirens and wake me up at 3am? No.
  14. Mary Bondar posted on 03/05/2014 10:44 PM
    Its too bad that alot of people have No Respect for what belongs to others. I live in the country on an old farm that my family has restored. Most people with recreation machines own less than an acre of land and feel that other people's land is there for their use. After living here for 30 yrs. I can tell you about alot of incidents. Most of the time I would hear them coming and I would place myself on the trials and stop them (some tried to run me over, some have cursed me, threatened me, and even spit on me). After telling them they were on private property and not to come back-its like talking to yourself -they don't listen. The RCMP are not interested in helping believe me. In the spring its torn up muddy land that's left/ in winter its noise, garbage, camp fires with drinking parties and yes areas where they relieve themselves. Yes its a drastic measure illustrated here, one that I can't condone. What is the answer?
    1. Cmp77 posted on 03/05/2014 11:20 PM
      @Mary Bondar Geez Mary, is mud and noise important enough to risk your safety by stepping out in front of a moving atv or snowmobile or possibly being hurt by an aggressive rider? I share your experience and understand your frustration. One thing that has worked well for me is posting signs, not blockades of any kind, stating no trespassing, no snowmobiling, no atving, and then hanging game cameras angled to take photos of license plates. I have used that info to report several machines to the authorities who are obviously ignoring my signs. The authorities, the DNR in Nova Scotia, appreciate the info and have followed up. This has worked and I recommend it. I think we must always be careful not to paint all recreational riders with the same brush! I disagree that most riders feel that other peoples land is theirs to use and the link between drinking, disrespectful behavious etc. Are there jerks, absolutely! Just like everywhere else in life. However if you apply your logic to folks who fail to follow the rules of the road, then every car driver is disrespectful and I hope you wouldn't dream of jumping out in front of a car to stop behaviour you disagreed with. Be careful in case you do run into an idiot and play it smart, get evidence and use it against those who repeatedly trespass on your property. Not all riders are disrespectful!
    2. Cmp77 posted on 03/05/2014 11:20 PM
  15. HaliburtonSledder posted on 03/06/2014 07:04 AM
    Unmarked obstructions kill. Deaths from unmarked chains, ropes or barriers can be prevented. Hunter's death was preventable and very tragic. Read more here: http://commonsensefence.com/
  16. michael ash posted on 03/06/2014 08:11 AM
    What are the RCMP doing patrolling the trails of Ontario? This story would be plausible if the OPP were reporting this. Just the same, this is very disturbing if it is indeed fact.
    1. Shawn posted on 03/06/2014 12:25 PM
      @michael ash @Michael In that area, I expect that the RCMP are likely patrolling trails looking for smuggling operations...
  17. justin posted on 03/06/2014 10:06 AM
    thats so sad I hope these pranksters are found and delt with...
  18. LMH posted on 03/06/2014 10:32 AM
    I have encountered booby traps while driving my car. They were designed to get me out of my car to move the rope or whatever so someone could either steal my car or harm me. I'm lucky I've read news reports of such happenings so I knew better than to get out.

Only problem for me was I was on a one way residential street. I had no choice but to back down the whole street. Lucky it was late and no other cars were around.

This sort of behaviour and actions make me sad. I can't believe that there are so many people in this world who would wish to seriously harm or kill innocent people.
    1. WD posted on 03/06/2014 11:06 AM
      @LMH Lol Where do you live??
      Booby traps to entice you to get out of your car so they can steal your car or harm you?
      Hopefully you're kidding or at least someone with a flair for the dramatic and wild imagination.
  19. Jmjgnb posted on 03/06/2014 12:38 PM
    Here in NB I've seen people string 50lb test fishing line across the trail, a few peoples seen it and ducked, however still getting nasty cuts
  20. kyle posted on 03/06/2014 01:29 PM
    well looks like a good reason to stay off groomed marked trails and rip up private land more!
  21. Marie jeanne posted on 03/06/2014 03:35 PM
    HAHA! we have a resident here in Manitoba who used to do that to snowmobilers on the river out here as well...lol i think it was done to slow people down tho. lol
    1. Jared posted on 03/07/2014 12:21 PM
      @Marie jeanne No not fun Marie this could seriously harm or even kill someone. What kind of sick person are you?
  22. Angela posted on 03/06/2014 05:00 PM
    If someone gets killed or hurt and if they can find the people responsible for doing booby traps should have to pay for their medical bills and go to court. So that way that way would have to pay for their actions. If someone gets killed that would be attempt to kill I think.
  23. Dustin posted on 03/06/2014 05:35 PM
    My parents lost a friend to the same sort of issue years ago, old farm fence with the barbed wire left up. This is disgusting.
  24. Corrie posted on 03/06/2014 08:46 PM
    I knew a 15 yr old boy that was killed by something similar. Some people are just sick
  25. Tracey posted on 03/06/2014 08:47 PM
    It did happen here in Prince Edward County a few years ago and a mother and father of 5 small children were decapitated. I don't believe any charges were laid because it was private property. I believe I heard it was a single wire had been strung at neck height that was being used as a fence. It was so sad and such a needless accident.
showing 1-25 of 32 comments · show all comments

By Friday, we'll be into August. Have you enjoyed everything you set out to enjoy this summer?