NEWS

Smoking parents shortening children's lives
Study finds parents who smoke increase risk of heart attack or stroke for their kids
4 0

A new study suggest parents who expose their children to second hand smoke are shortening their lives.

Researchers in the European Heart journal say "passive smoking," among other things, damages children's arteries and increases their chances of having a heart attack or stroke when they get older.

Study author Dr. Seana Gall told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that "parental smoking in itself was causing damage to the arteries."

The damage she said is "direct" and "irreversible." told the author Dr Seana Gall, from the University of Tasmania, said: "Our study shows that exposure to passive smoke in childhood causes a direct and irreversible damage to the structure of the arteries.

According to experts, there is no safe level of second hand smoke exposure.

Categories:

1. Angry Bill posted on 03/05/2014 09:17 AM
    I grew up in the era where adults smoking was commonplace, and you just dealt with the smoke. In our house growing up, there weren't too many times when a cigarette wasn't lit up and going. I'm a bit sad that my life will most likely be shortened as a result of two people in the house smoking as I grew up (chain smoking in the car, too), but they never knew the damage they were causing. Nowadays, if you choose to do that sort of thing with all the things we know now, you're just stupid. But back then, the tobacco companies had a vested interest in the truth about smoking not getting out to the general public.

When my first wife was pregnant with our daughter, I was determined to give her the best start in life that I could. I kept her away from venues where there was cigarette smoke, I wouldn't even let her use alcohol while she was pregnant. So my daughter started off healthy. What she chose to do after that is up to her. She chose to smoke, get tattoos all over her body, and owns a hookah pipe. :-/ I'm also sure she's tried other substances, so I think to myself why did I even bother? But, we all have our own path to walk. I did my part, she at least started out healthy.
  2. W Orovan posted on 03/05/2014 10:08 AM
    This is a retrospective, observational study relying on patient self reporting. It purports to show that smokers exposed to second hand smoke anytime in their lives are less likely to quit smoking in later life. The Discussion and Conclusions never even mention arterial effects on children. The public comments are by an author with a predetermined agenda. Bad, bad science.
  3. john posted on 03/05/2014 11:00 AM
    i know this it is nothing new here guys . how about we spend money on a real study .
  4. Frankie posted on 03/05/2014 12:19 PM
    How about a study on the incredible waste and intrusiveness of government, and the impact it has on people's health as they deal with the stresses of trying to make ends meet, working longer hours and spending less time with their families so that government can waste their money.

@NEWSTALK1010

DON'T MISS

SICKKIDS

2 DAYS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Tune in to NEWSTALK 1010 on May 30th and 31st from noon to 6pm and you can make a difference. Click here to see how you can help

IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE

MISSED THE SHOW? DON'T MISS THIS!

Aaron Waxman & Associates present the 4th annual IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE -- if you missed the show, DON'T WORRY. You can check out video and pics RIGHT HERE

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

4 0

According to experts, there is no safe level of second hand smoke exposure.

1. Angry Bill posted on 03/05/2014 09:17 AM