WATCH: Couple lucky to be alive after a crash in Northern Ontario

It appears the other driver was on his cellphone

A Sioux Lookout, ON couple is lucky to be alive after being involved in a harrowing crash in Northern Ontario.

Ralph Ireland and his wife were on their way to Winnipeg when a truck pulled out in from of them in Kenora.

Ireland's vehicle struck the pick up at high speed. No one suffered major injuries in the crash.

In the video, it appears the driver of the pick up truck was also talking on his cellphone. Ireland tells a local newspaper that he's forwarded the video to the OPP in Kenora to have a look.

NOTE: Language in the video may be unsuitable for some viewers

1. Dean Blundell posted on 03/06/2014 07:38 PM
    Awesome
    1. Lee posted on 03/06/2014 08:11 PM
      @Dean Blundell Awesome? What kind of moron are you? They could of be killed because of a distracted driver. Just heard the driver on the radio and thank goodness they're okay.
      No wonder they kicked you off that Toronto FM station.
    2. Dean Blundell posted on 03/06/2014 08:38 PM
      @Lee Is that you Todd Shapiro? The way you drive, I hope you get killed by the next distracted driver.
  2. Greg posted on 03/06/2014 11:50 PM
    The driver's defensive driving sucks. Why would turn in the direction that the truck was heading rather than turn to the right and try to avoid it.
    I know, I know. It's easy to criticize when watching it on video but I think he forgot the old rule:
    "You steer where you look".
    1. Paul57 posted on 03/09/2014 02:36 PM
      @Greg IMPORTNAT NOTICE: For those not accustomed to 2 lane highways.***
      My apologies to Greg who feels that a 1 second time frame before braking is enough time to decide the best way to ditch your vehicle. Any hard maneuver at this speed results in a flipped car.

A similar event happened to me. Fortunately the car was blocking only 1 lane and I could see there was no oncoming traffic I like the driver's option. AIr bags it is.
  3. John B posted on 03/07/2014 07:30 AM
    Absolutely no doubt the fault is with the truck, but this accident could have been avoided if the car driver was paying attention. If you notice he doesn't begin to brake till he says 'oh no', and is only about 50 feet away. Had he not been distracted and saw the truck, and started to brake as soon as the truck began to pull out there was enough time to stop. How do I know he didn't brake? You would see the front of the car start to dip down under heavy breaking. That 'dip' didn't happen till he was feet away from the truck. Both to blame, but the truck at fault.
    1. Mark V. posted on 03/07/2014 12:21 PM
      @John B That was exactly what I thought, he did not notice until he said "oh no" and then he started braking way to late, had he been looking he had plenty of time and space to stop. He had time to take his foot off the gas, then slowly start applying the brake to stop, and he could have veered slightly to the right into the intersection if need be. I have had close calls like this often, and I have always been able to stop.
    2. Frankie posted on 03/07/2014 12:43 PM
      @John B You guys are absolutely correct about the victim's driving; no appearance he attempted to avoid even though 100% the truck's fault.

Maybe he was distracted by his dash camera. Wouldn't that be ironic.

At least they came away without any serious injuries.
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 03/07/2014 03:18 PM
      @Frankie Have to agree with you all.
      I heard the driver on with Friendly Fire last night, and he said there was guy behind him- that's why he didn't brake any sooner. Given he's driving a pickup, he should have let the guy behind him run into his butt. It wouldn't have been his fault the driver behind was too close.

Also, the snowbank would have made judgement a little tricky, because it was a bit hard to see over the snowbank. The driver said that the camera had a better view of the truck coming onto the road than he did. But still, he should have braked harder, and swerved to the right.

But all this is me commenting in playback mode- so it's hard to remember and apply this in the heat of the moment.
    4. Paul57 posted on 03/09/2014 02:43 PM
      @John B Amazing how the 1 second which exists between determining that the truck was not stopping at the sign and he started applying brakes is plenty of time to make a safe and complete stop.

Clearly you are new drivers with little experience driving two lane highways in the winter with no safe shoulder space to navigate. I've been driving these types of roads for over 40 years. Your wit and misguided conjecture won't help you once your in the middle of it.
  4. Darren posted on 03/07/2014 10:10 AM
    Wow...surprised at the comments here especially Greg and John B (Dean Blundell has proven himself a moron in the past)... guy driving while on a cell phone, which it illegal in Ontario, pulls out right in front of another vehicle and you both blame and criticize the driving skills of the other driver?!?

Those dash cams have a wide angle view which completely distorts any distance perception, like the side view mirror (object are closer than they appear) so I suspect that this was much closer than it looked and the driver really had no time to react.

Pretty sure if this were you you'd not be so quick to criticize.
    1. Dean Blundell posted on 03/07/2014 12:16 PM
      @Darren Is that you Darren B. Lamb? Did Roger Ashby and Marilyn Dennis let you out of your cage this morning? Or did you get adult supervision from the staff at Bell Media to go online on the world wide web? Your above comments sound like the incoherent ravings of a ring-tailed lemur foaming at the mouth with type-1 rabies. Darren, listen to me carefully, you need to be put in a straight-jacket and shipped back to your padded room on Plum Island. It's for your own good.
    2. Darren posted on 03/07/2014 12:48 PM
    3. Dean Blundell posted on 03/07/2014 12:59 PM
      @Darren Darren I'm being serious, PM me and I'll forward you the office number of Mark Elliott. He's available for consultation this coming weekend. Because Darren, this little experiment of giving you a day-pass to interact with the public is just not working out for the rest of us. Please Darren, you 'need' to stop hurting yourself. Just give Mark a call.
  5. Don posted on 03/07/2014 11:45 PM
    Wow....love the "armchair quarter backs" commenting on here. "Oh, he should have done this"....."Oh, I would have done that." You can't say a word unless you were there. The dash cam has a pretty distorted view and a distorted perception of speed. His initial turn to the left to avoid the truck is because he assumes the driver finally sees him coming and would stop allowing him to pass by in front of the truck. If he assumes the truck continues he's going to make a hard right to go around the trailer, possibly hitting the shoulder/snow bank and losing control?

The only option was to brake immediately when the front bumper of that truck enters the road, but even then it may have been too late.

I suggest you stick to armchair quarter backing an actual football game. You would be much better at that then this.
    1. GregH_5652 posted on 03/10/2014 09:11 AM
      @Don One of the basics of driver training is that you never swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid a collision. Even if he had managed to clear the front of the truck he puts himself - and others - at risk of a head on collision. He turned to the left which aims his truck at the driver of the other truck rather then the bed or the trailer. He panicked and froze up plain and simple.
  6. John B posted on 03/09/2014 09:48 AM
    WOW, really!!??? You criticize people for arm chairing and then proceed to give the most ridiculous solution. The opinions given by others and me are basic defensive driving techniques that are proven to work. Your suggestion is to turn in front of the truck and hope that the already distracted truck driver sees him and stops. Then the car can go around in front of the truck. Brilliant!!!! In front of the truck and right into oncoming traffic for a head on crash. Simply brilliant. Because according to you, this, or t-boning the truck is better than hitting a snow bank at low speed. Wow, wow, WOW! It’s a terrifying thought to think people like you are out there driving.

By the way, you are correct. Had the distracted car driver started braking as soon as the distracted truck driver entered the road, this accident would have been avoided.
    1. Paul57 posted on 03/09/2014 02:53 PM
      @John B There is nothing 'basic' about this incident. There is no space to go to safely, no guardrail to prevent you from going into the ditch or keep you from striking oncoming traffic or dry, clean shoulders on which to pass; all part of the daily routine of driving on a 2 lane highway. And by the way, any ditch up north can easily become a 20 foot drop without notice. So anyone suggesting to put it into the ditch, again, doesn't understand 2 lane highway driving and the added treachery of winter conditions, no matter how 'nice' the weather appears to be.

Stay in Southern Ontario and you may yet live to critisize another incident you know little about.
  7. John B posted on 03/09/2014 09:25 PM
    Watching the video the truck enters the road at about the 12 second mark. The car driver notices and yells 'oh no' at about 15 seconds. A car traveling at 80 kmh covers roughly 22 meters per second. So at 3 seconds the car is 66 meters from the truck. Consumers Report shows the average shopping distance from 100 kmh to zero is at about 36 meters. Had the car driver noticed the truck when it pulled out and braked immediately, the car would have stopped 30 meters from the truck. This is the point of contention here.

On another note. I love driving the North, and still often do, even though I no longer live there. I seek out small roads, avoiding multi lanes. On my recent trip to Montreal it took me over 12 hours because I drove straight up north. Across Northern Ontario, south to Ottawa, and finally Montreal. This does not make me an expert, but I am always watching far ahead in case someone pulls out from a hidden intersection.
    Having said that. I believe northern drivers are more skilled than the southern counterparts. I feel much more comfortable driving with my Barrie friends than Toronto.

So if Ontario really wants to crack down on distracted driving, they need to set the example with this careless truck driver. Bring down the full weight of the law, and I believe a license suspension is appropriate.

Does debate over the inclusiveness of the lyrics to 'O Canada' belong on the floor of Toronto City Council?