News

 

UPDATE: Friends hold memorial for Dovercourt fire victim

Three people have died, a fourth is still in hospital

(Tom Stefanac/CP24)

Twenty-two Chinese lanterns were released into the night sky on Saturday, the night that the Toronto Star reports friends of Alysia Graham were to gather to celebrate her 22nd birthday.

Instead, the party turned into a memorial. Graham is one of three people who died from Friday's fire on Dovercourt Rd near Dupont St. The other two are her best friends 22-year-old Jordan Boyer and 21-year-old Katie Charron, who died in hospital yesterday.

A fourth person, 21-year-old Ethan Leal, is still in hospital but is expected to recover.

Alycia's friends tell the Star that they invited her mom to come to last night's memorial but she declined, saying it's too soon to let her go.

The victims' families are planning separate funerals.

Firefighters were called to the four-bedroom apartment above a long-vacant storefront just south of Dupont St around 3 am Friday. At one point, as many as 55 firefighters were working to douse the flames.

The Fire Marshal's office says the blaze started in the living room. They have yet to pinpoint a cause.

"We have found evidence of smoke alarms", Fire Investigator Tim Irish said Friday. "However, due to their condition, we're unable to say until further testing has taken place whether in fact those alarms were functioning or not." Fire Captain Adrian Ratushniak says smoke from the fire actually tripped the detectors in the home next door, waking the people inside. It was someone in the neighbouring home who called 9-11.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
Comment Like
  • 11
  1. karen posted on 03/07/2014 04:08 PM
    When will the law catch up to careless smoking and late-night cooking? Fire deaths are now treated with mild acceptance, just as drunk driving victims used to be. The law needs to clamp down on these negligent killers with penalties commensurate with their trail of death and destruction..
    1. S posted on 03/07/2014 08:04 PM
      @karen Hey Karen, go troll someone else's story. If you knew these people you would not be so reckless with your words. Two amazing people lost their lives today, show a little respect.
    2. j posted on 03/07/2014 10:15 PM
      @karen For all your know it was a faulty appliance or shoddy electrical work. Let's not point our fingers so quickly...
  2. Jean posted on 03/08/2014 04:36 PM
    Very very sad. This fire claimed it's third victim now. The 4th is still fighting for his life. So devastating.
  3. Michele posted on 03/09/2014 08:32 AM
    Karen

    These people were friends of our Daughters. At this point in the tragedy who cares how it happened. Three Beautiful young adults that had so much to give and achieve have lost their lives and one has to now live with the fact that 3 of his friends are gone and he is here. At the end of the day, it is time to mourn and not point fingers.

    God Bless them all

    Michele
  4. Mary Wu posted on 03/11/2014 09:08 AM
    I first met JB at Starbucks. He is a cheerful and great guy. His friendliness and jokes brightens my dark days. It is sad to hear him passed away from such incident. He is missed. Pray for his family and friends. God bless them all.
  5. DS posted on 03/11/2014 09:17 AM
    My son grew up with these kids. Katie was at my house many times. What did or did not cause the fire matters not at this point. These were 4 gifted kids - gifted beyond belief and today 3 are gone. Remember when you were 20? Well I do and by the grace of god we all escaped some near death experiences! My son is broken hearted and it was a wake up call to be more careful and to never take life for granted. BUT they are kids and no matter what happens they make mistakes!! I pray for them all - mine included. To lose a child...the worst kind of hell. May god bring all their friends and loved ones mercy and let us remember them fondly. And let us not forget the young man who survived, his crosses will be heavy and he will never be the same carefree young man ever again. All the kids were close and much loved. My heart hurts for them all....... Remind your loved ones 1) have working smoke alarms and to sign their organ donar cards. Katie gave organs to save five lives!! Her final kind act.
showing all comments

Your GTA

Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts

Becoming a member only takes 60 seconds! Members get access to exclusive information and products that non-members do not, including concert ticket presales, trips, advance notice on upcoming entertainment events, movie screening passes, music giveaways and more!

Login with Facebook

Stay connected 24/7! Receive breaking news and programming alerts right to your inbox. CLICK HERE to sign-up.

Today's Poll

The Toronto Police Services Board has met and will not be renewing the contract of Police Chief Bill Blair. Do you think it should have been extended?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hour(s) VoteResults

Top Stories

Facebook

Twitter