NEWS

Province vows not to give paid-plasma donor clinic a license
Health minister says she wants to keep donations voluntary
5 0

The province is pledging to shut down any private clinics that pay people to donate blood plasma.

The ministry of health checked a downtown Toronto Canadian Plasma Resources clinic that is setting up shop, which was petitioning for a license to pay donors $25.  It also wants to open up another Toronto clinic and one in Hamilton.

The minister's office says as of Tuesday, the clinic on Adelaide St. by Jarvis St. is not up and running.

Health Minister Deb Matthews vows to monitor the sites to make sure Ontario's laws are followed.

Matthews says she doesn't want paid plasma clinics in the province. While Health Canada issued the Toronto clinic a license, it still has to get a provincial one to operate.

She says that's not going to happen. If they try to operate a paid donor clinic, Matthews says the province will shut them down.

Matthews underlines there's a risk associated with putting blood that was paid for into a voluntary donor supply. She is accusing the company of targeting the poor by setting up shop in low income neighbourhoods.

Categories:

1. Jack posted on 03/18/2014 05:27 PM
    Leave it to the Liberals to be so vehemently against any program that lets taxpayers earn a little extra cash.
  2. Sam posted on 03/18/2014 05:29 PM
    I've never donated blood once in my life; what's in it for me? But let me earn $25 per donation, and I'll be there with my sleeve rolled up every weekend.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 03/19/2014 09:35 AM
      @Sam What's in it for you, Sam? Seriously? Ok, fine. Next time you get in a car accident and need the blood of several donors to keep your sorry ass alive, I hope that they ran out because nobody donated blood that day because there was nothing in it for them. And you die. Yep, nothing in it for you.
  3. Frankie posted on 03/18/2014 05:58 PM
    More dishonesty and lies from the Liberals. Most of the plasma used in Canada is bought from USA where they pay. The Liberals are just counting on us to be ignorant in order to accept their lies.
  4. Mike posted on 03/19/2014 09:29 AM
    I did some search and found that Health Canada, Canadian Blood Services and Haemophilia Association and some other patient groups are supporting this practice in Canada due to shortage in medications that can be made out of plasma. This Liberals don't say anything but lies about everything. I hate this Health Minister and all her unprofessional disagreements.

@NEWSTALK1010

DON'T MISS

DONATE TO NEPAL

NEPAL NEEDS YOUR HELP

The Humanitarian Coalition is responding to the devastating earthquake in Nepal with a national joint appeal

IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE

TICKETS ARE NOW SOLD OUT!

Aaron Waxman & Associates present the 4th annual IN-DEPTH AND INTERACTIVE -- May 19 at the Liberty Grand

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

5 0