NEWS

Study finds even one drink impairs some drivers
Researchers say drinking and driving laws should get another look
4 0

A new study suggests drivers over 55 are impaired if they have even one drink before getting behind the wheel.

Researchers at the University of Florida looked at how booze impaired the driving ability of 72 people and found that those between the ages of 55 and 70 saw their driving skills diminish after just one drink, while those between 25-36 appeared to maintain their driving skills.

None of the study participants had blood alcohol levels above the 0.08 legal limit.

Study participants took a simulated driving test while sober and then returned later to take the test after consuming a drink that raised blood alcohol levels to between 0.04 and 0.065.

Researchers say the results suggest that even low alcohol consumption within the legal limit can "compromise" the driving skills of older motorists and it may be time for governments to change alcohol rules for drivers of all ages.

Study co-author Alfredo Sklar tells CBS the result do not mean small amounts of alcohol are safe for younger drivers.

Categories:

1. Frankie posted on 03/21/2014 07:49 AM
    Typically irresponsible media. 72 people does not a scientifically valid study make; it doesn't even deserve any of the attention it received.
  2. GregH_5652 posted on 03/21/2014 10:04 AM
    Cue MADD who will sure to be using this "study" as an excuse to push for a .00 BAC law.
  3. john posted on 03/21/2014 11:32 AM
    i hope it dont lead to somthing the USA did back in the 1920s probation
  4. Angry Bill posted on 03/21/2014 12:52 PM
    Everything's relative.

When I was younger, I remember I had about 5 or 6 beer at a bar over the course of the evening, drove away and got pulled over by a cop for a RIDE check. He asked the usual question, which was if I'd been drinking. I don't lie, so I said sure. I blew green, he shrugged, said I could probably have had a couple more before blowing yellow, and sent me on my way.

Bottom line, you're either over the legal limit, or under it. Stop with the wishy washy stuff. If you don't like the legal limit, then fight to have it lowered. I've had the Smart Serve course.. There's a graph where they show how long it takes for a body of a certain weight to burn an ounce of alcohol. I spaced my drinking throughout the evening, and remained in the green. Some people think one drink is too many. Well, for some, it is.

DON'T MISS

AIRPORT TUNNEL

THE BILLY BISHOP TORONTO CITY AIRPORT TUNNEL

PortsToronto will open a new pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport on July 30th, which will serve as a significant piece of infrastructure that will provide travellers with fast, convenient and reliable access to the airport

NEWS ALERTS

STAY CONNECTED

Sign up for out Breaking News Alerts and receive up-to-the-minute coverage of the top stories of the day

4 0