China wants satellite images that Malaysia Airlines examined

Nearly 100 relatives of passengers on flight 370, and their supporters marched on the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing

Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya, left, speaks during a press conference on Tuesday

China demanded that Malaysia turn over the satellite data used to conclude that a Malaysia Airlines jetliner had crashed in the southern Indian Ocean killing everyone on board, as gale-force winds and heavy rain on Tuesday halted the search for any remains of the plane.
The weather is expected to improve later Tuesday for the multinational search being conducted out of Perth, Australia, to possibly resume Wednesday. But even then, the searchers face a monumental task of combing the vast expanse of choppy seas for suspected remnants of the aircraft sighted earlier.
``We're not searching for a needle in a haystack _ we're still trying to define where the haystack is,'' Australia's deputy defence chief, Air Marshal Mark Binskin, told reporters in Perth at a military base as idled planes remained parked behind him.
In remarks to the Malaysian Parliament, Prime Minister Najib Razak also cautioned that the search will take a long time and ``we will have to face unexpected and extraordinary challenges.''
Late Monday, Najib announced that the Boeing 777 had gone down in the sea with no survivor. But that's all that investigators and the Malaysian government have been able to say with certainty about Flight 370's fate since it disappeared on March 8 shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing. Left unanswered are many troubling questions about why it was so far off-course -- the plane essentially back-tracked its route over Malaysia and then travelled in the opposite direction in the Indian Ocean.
Investigators will be looking at various possibilities including possible mechanical or electrical failure, hijacking, sabotage, terrorism or issues related to the mental health of the pilots or someone else on board.
``We do not know why. We do not know how. We do not how the terrible tragedy happened,'' the airline's chief executive, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya, told reporters.
Monday night's e announcement unleashed a storm of sorrow and anger among the families of the plane's 239 passengers and crew _ two-thirds of them Chinese. Family members of the missing passengers have complained bitterly about a lack of reliable information and some say they are not being told the whole truth.
Nearly 100 relatives and their supporters marched on the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing, where they threw plastic water bottles, tried to rush the gate and chanted, ``Liars!''
    Many wore white T-shirts that read ``Let's pray for MH370'' as they held banners and shouted, ``Tell the truth! Return our relatives!''
There was a heavy police presence at the embassy and there was a brief scuffle between police and a group of relatives who tried to approach journalists.
Deputy Foreign Minister Xie Hangsheng told Malaysia's ambassador to Beijing late Monday that China wanted to know exactly what led Najib to announce that the plane had been lost, a statement on the ministry's website said.
Malaysia Airlines Chairman Mohammed Nor Mohammed Yusof said at a news conference Tuesday that it may take time for further answers to come clear.
    ``This has been an unprecedented event requiring an unprecedented response,'' he said. ``The investigation still underway may yet prove to be even longer and more complex than it has been since March 8th.''
    He added that even though no wreckage has been found, there was no doubt it had crashed.
    ``This by the evidence given to us, and by rational deduction, we could only arrive at that conclusion: That is, for Malaysia Airlines to declare that it has lost its plane, and by extension, the people in the plane,'' he said.
There is a race against the clock to find any trace of the plane that could lead them to the location of the black boxes, whose battery-powered ``pinger'' could stop sending signals within two weeks. The batteries are designed to last at least a month and can last longer.
An Australian navy support vessel, the Ocean Shield, equipped with acoustic detection equipment, was expected to arrive in several days in the search zone. And the U.S. Pacific Command said it was sending a black box locator to the region in case a debris field is located.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Log in and be the first to comment!

Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts

Becoming a member only takes 60 seconds! Members get access to exclusive information and products that non-members do not, including concert ticket presales, trips, advance notice on upcoming entertainment events, movie screening passes, music giveaways and more!

Login with Facebook

Top Stories

Today's Poll

Toronto has one team in the playoffs. The Raptors begin their quest for NBA glory. How far do you think they'll go?

Voting is restricted to one vote every 24 hour(s) VoteResults


Stay connected 24/7! Receive breaking news and programming alerts right to your inbox. CLICK HERE to sign-up.