UPDATE: Mayoralty candidate John Tory's 'code of conduct' takes aim at Rob Ford's behaviour

Former NEWSTALK 1010 host wants to introduce a personal and political 'code of conduct'

John Tory explains his 'code of conduct' he would bring to City Hall if he's elected Mayor of Toronto
Photo: Russ Courtney/NEWSTALK 1010

Toronto Mayoralty hopeful John Tory is out with a personal and political code of conduct that promises to put into place, should he win the election in October.

It's a 10-point plan that flows directly from the Rob Ford mess.

The vast majority of Tory's 'code' contains items that can be seen as clear shots at Rob Ford; things like "I will not compile and enemies list," and "I will always treat city staff with respect."

Here is Tory's complete 'code of conduct':

LEADING A GREAT CITY

1. I will respect and defend our laws, not break them. I will act with the highest degree of integrity, honesty and professionalism that public office demands.  In short, I will respect the law.

2. I will show up for work each day to get things done, and I will do this in a transparent manner. This includes keeping a weekly schedule that is public and easily accessible.

3. I will conduct, at a minimum, a weekly press availability that is open and honest. Fostering meaningful and open civic dialogue requires a Mayor who answers questions – not runs from them.

MAKE CITY COUNCIL WORK FOR TORONTO

4. I will build and promote strong working relationships with neighbouring municipalities and other levels of government without regard to their political stripe. Torontonians want tangible and meaningful results and that means working together.

5. I will mend relationships and build bridges in a divided City Council by working with every member on an issue-by-issue basis. The outcome needs to reflect a desire to make life better for Torontonians.

6. I will not compile an enemies list. Torontonians do not want a party system at city hall. I will use the mayor’s office to work with people, not carry on old fights.

7. I will always treat city staff with respect and professionalism. A Mayor can be tough and decisive without being overbearing and brash.

RESPECT TAXPAYERS WITH ACTIONS, NOT JUST WORDS

8. I will ensure that city resources are used exclusively for city business by tightening spending rules and oversight mechanisms. Not one public penny will be used on personal matters.

9. I will introduce real penalties for elected officials and public servants who abuse the privileges, responsibilities and trust that accompany public service. We work for Torontonians – not the other way around.

10. I will require all lobbyists to register in order to make our system more fair and accountable, including leveling the playing field for union lobbyists.

Tory unveiled his campaign platform plant from behind a podium with a sign that read 'RESPECT THE LAW.'

The former NEWSTALK 1010 host says it's time to "reset the bar" and hold Mayor Rob Ford  to account for behaviour that would get employees at most workplaces fired.

1. don was right posted on 04/03/2014 08:38 AM
    John Tory, who on CFRB several times talked about how he smoked marijuana, slams illegal drugs. Marijuana was and still is illegal. Cue the CFRB podcasts of Tory extracting his foot from his mouth - once again.
    1. Sonny posted on 04/03/2014 10:01 AM
      @don was right Hopefully he didn't smoke crack like that guy who doesn't know how to use the Yes/No button OR read the Code of Conduct despite being at City Hall over 13 years...
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 10:21 AM
      @don was right I wonder if city council will get a code of conduct as well- that's way overdue.
    3. Scott posted on 04/03/2014 10:38 AM
      @don was right What does Marijuana or illegal drugs have anything to do with this article. Please don't post irrelevant information as you are part of the disinformation problem. Your comment should be stricken from this page for irrelevance to the mayoral campaign.
    4. Ron Burgundy posted on 04/03/2014 11:53 AM
      @Karl Burgin Typical Karl Burgin retort. What about everyone else? Just like a school kid. Or a Mayor.
      Hey, brainiac...how many Councillors have been caught on tape smoking crack with gangsters, lying to the faces of Torontonians and issuing death threats on video?
      Answer: ZERO.
      Now shut your ignorant pie hole and go back to the rock you and the rest of Fraud Nation crawl out of every morning to comment on this Board.
    5. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 12:19 PM
      @Ron Burgundy Well Mr. Burgundy, while there wasn't anyone who was caught with crack- you did have a couple of councillors who have been caught (and charged) with drinking and driving- or being drunk whilst driving.

Or another code of conduct we can implement is responsible spending. For example, when Ford came in, he cut the office budget, so that money would be frivolously fettered away by councillors. However Councillors have found another avenue to waste money- bypassing the implementations Ford laid down to begin with. We should have recommendations about that too. Just so we avoid the $80K price tag here, and the $70K price tag there.

I'm not necessarily saying these recommendations are a bad thing. But I would so hate to see this being applied to one person- instead of everyone as a whole.
      Because its all about bridge building and the like, right? Isn't that one of the common critical points you people have against Ford.
      So bridge building it is. And to the insulting ending to you "high and mighty" rant, that doesn't necessarily qualify as bridge-building now, does it?

So as to answer your question- no, I'm not being like a school kid. I'm actually being quite mature about it. Sorry I can't say the same for you.
    6. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 12:19 PM
      @Karl Burgin **Correction**
      so that money would'nt be frivolously fettered away
    7. dama posted on 04/03/2014 02:50 PM
      @Karl Burgin As always.. good retort to Ron Burgundy, he wasn't even funny !!

City Hall already has its own Code of Conduct(COC), so JT's COC is quite pointless really...JT knew he has a fight at hand with Rob Ford hence the COC to go against Rob Ford...

so will voters vote for JT based on this COC which is yet to be proven for JT has to be voted in for this COC to be in action...

In conclusion.. Ana Bailor was charged for drunk driving.. Rob Ford was "alleged" to smoke crack and "alleged" to be drunk and on both count was not charged.. NO Police record.. cant say the same for Ana Bailor..

8. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 03:26 PM
      @dama ...or Paul Ainsle

I don't know about Sarah Thompson or Shelly Carroll- but they could also fail a drunk on any given day.
    9. Angry Bill posted on 04/04/2014 09:25 AM
      @dama Hmm.. So you're saying that voters will vote for John Tory based on his COC? I agree, it's definitely better than the council's COC. I think John Tory's COC is more appealing to the general public, myself. Council's COC has been rather ineffective and somewhat on the limp side for quite some time. I don't think they have what it takes to block John Tory's COC.

Looks like there's going to be a bit of a COC fight down at city hall. Looking forward to it.
    10. Suz58 posted on 04/27/2014 03:18 PM
      @dama These are exactly the double standards that disgust me! Although Ford was not caught smoking crack, he did admit to it after. No different than someone ditching their car while driving under the influence and just leaving it till the next day. Ford was also charged with DUI back in 98'. He did have pot on him, but that charge was dropped. Of course he waited to admit to smoking crack, he knew they couldn't touch him then. He had the nerve to imitate the one counsellor for DUI in the infamous counsel meeting where he knocked the woman over and could not even apologize.
      I recently was hired for a VOLUNTEER position with a government run organization. I told them I had a DUI from 18 years ago. That was the end of it, and driving has nothing to do with the position. The first thing that popped to mind was good ole Robby. How can someone with a DUI, affiliation with known criminals, being fired from his job with coaching football and everything else as well as being paid $200K a year deserve the public's respect just to ensure that his boonies are employed and no rules apply to him or his buddies? There is definitely more to come!
  2. Fact Provider posted on 04/03/2014 09:06 AM
    Well done, Mr. Tory,
    Keep chipping away at the moronic almost-mayor.
  3. Jack posted on 04/03/2014 09:51 AM
    Tory already meets the most important qualification for this mayoral race: Being #AnythingButChow ! I'm curious to see if he distinguishes himself any further.
  4. Angry Bill posted on 04/03/2014 10:13 AM
    Well, people have been saying that in order for John to be seriously considered, he'd have to attack Ford's issues. This looks like the first salvo from him in doing that.

For me, honesty and integrity are reasons enough. For others, honesty and integrity aren't that high on their list of qualities they want in a mayor. If Tory doesn't win, then I guess the voters have chosen.. they aren't interested in having those qualities in a mayor. In which case, you deserve the government you voted for. And you have no right to complain.
    1. dama posted on 04/03/2014 04:15 PM
      @Angry Bill The voters are not going into this blind,, they know the candidates now and probably debated within themselves who is the better candidate, weighing all the pros and cons of each platform/policy of each candidates.

Some like you will vote for JT based on his honesty and integrity(as you stated).

Others will vote for Rob Ford based on his "track record" of helping the poor citizens of Toronto even with his scandals which to some pale in comparison to The Liberal's scandals....

and finally others will vote for Olivia Chow for they want more pre-school nurseries and more libraries

Honesty and integrity, does mean the candidate can perform the job,, remember that the mayor only has one vote.... as in good guy finish last..

So, each is partaking in their democratic right to vote...

5. AC posted on 04/03/2014 10:16 AM
    please! Rob Ford doesn't need no stinking rules or code or conduct. that's for others.
    Rob work day is drag his lazy azz out of bed at 10 get to work at 12. don't do any homework involving what's going on in the city, get on peoples nerves at city hall until 3 pm. split, drive towards home stop off in some laneway, knock off a bottle in the truck, stop off at the strip mall hang out with the posse boys for a while smoke one or two go home and do the same the next day
  6. frank posted on 04/03/2014 10:20 AM
    He failed to keep up with Project Brazen - now on hold due to no evidence! What will Mr. Tory's penalty be?
  7. Brian posted on 04/03/2014 10:30 AM
    I see a lot of "I's" John Tory is a Big Business Tax and Spend Liberal, not Conservative!
    1. Scott posted on 04/03/2014 10:43 AM
      @Brian Why are you trying to box him into one big general ideology. You are trying to say that all that John Tory is can be summed up in 8 words. Give people reading these comments a little more credit then that. How about we let the candidates articulate their own policies instead of knee jerk reactions founded with very little. also, why are you trying to sell this message - your comments are now suspect.
    2. Ted posted on 04/03/2014 11:07 AM
      @Scott blah blah blah. now your comments are suspect, liberal
  8. john posted on 04/03/2014 10:32 AM
    can somebody please knock some sense into john Tory . nobody cares what people do in private . he is not going to win sh$$#$it if he keeps doing that . this dude is starting to loose my vote .
    1. Sam posted on 04/03/2014 11:02 AM
      @john c'mon you're just being silly because your hero is a ^^%#ing idiot in private and in public.
      no one cares what people do in private? c'mon at least try to show a little more intelligence. i know it's hard to that from his supporters but try at least
    2. john posted on 04/03/2014 11:32 AM
      @Sam who said i was referring to u when i said that ? sniff sniff sniff u smell funny mate . must be the shit on our nose form all that brownnosing u have been doing to the liberals . as for intelligence joke . people who vote liberal have a lower IQ then one who vote for other parties .
    3. john's mom posted on 04/03/2014 01:35 PM
      @john John - get away from the computer and go to your room this instant !!
      Your comments are stupid and rude and people know that I'm your mother.
    4. john posted on 04/03/2014 01:37 PM
      @john's mom my mom has been dead for 10 years now nice try asshole .
    5. john's mom posted on 04/03/2014 02:01 PM
      @john Now john, what have I told you about telling fibs?
      I'm not dead, I'm just hiding.
    6. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 03:28 PM
      @john's mom for the love of God...give it a rest already.
      The gig is no longer amusing. Are you some secret pedophile- trying to be an parent to people who don't want you?
    7. john's mom posted on 04/03/2014 03:59 PM
      @Karl Burgin Now you be a good little boy, Karl and go tell your mother she wants you (she'd be the only one who might).
    8. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 04:12 PM
      @john's mom So pedophile it is...
    9. john posted on 04/03/2014 04:21 PM
      @Karl Burgin yea a pedophile with a broken arm if he trys to touch me . or my kids and i dont care about the law .
  9. Bettie posted on 04/03/2014 10:38 AM
    It's not particularly innovative, creative or dynamic but it needed to be said on placards and now it has been.
  10. Ted posted on 04/03/2014 11:05 AM
    Tory's list is missing - "I will not be a red-tory / liberal / laurentian elite"
    1. Bob's Burgers posted on 04/03/2014 12:04 PM
      @Ted Another typically 'dumb' comment from a Fraud Supporter.
      Keep dreamin', moron.
    2. john posted on 04/03/2014 01:03 PM
      @Bob's Burgers yet another brain dead liberal ass kisser who got things messed up as all of them do . ford has not stolen anything . unless u call using his own money fraud . ( most people dont by the way . ) personally i would rather have a so called crack smoking mayor runing then some jackoff who has no clue what he or she is doing . that only fraud here is u pretending to be human .
  11. Doug Ford posted on 04/03/2014 12:07 PM
    Rob has promised to abide by this Code of Conduct in the future:

1. I will not pee in the parks

2. I will not give little kids the finger

3. I will not try to smoke the crack of dawn

4. I will not eat the crack of Dawn

5. I will not drink alcohol to excess in my office

6: I will not beat my wife and staff

7. I will not smoke marijuana

8. I will not compile enemies lists and attack my enemies using robocalls or social media

9. I will not drive drunk ever again

10. The F-word is no longer in my vocabulary.

11. I will not crash events to which I have not been invited.

12 I will not have my brother-in-law attacked again.

I can assure the citizens of Toronto that as soon as Rob gets sober and straight again, he will abide by this code...maybe next year.

God Bless Toronto
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 12:12 PM
      @Doug Ford Another typical comment by an imposter with the inability to make his case using his own ID.
      It must be a common defect among your kind.
    2. Sensible Toronto Voter posted on 04/03/2014 01:40 PM
      @Karl Burgin Thanks for your insightful opinion, boy from Brampton.
    3. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 01:56 PM
      @Sensible Toronto Voter Never said I lived in Brampton. But you are welcome to try again if you wish...

And please...feel free to comment on the article, or to my responses that RELATE to the article, instead of attacking me at first glance.
    4. john posted on 04/03/2014 02:03 PM
      @Doug Ford if anybody but ford gets in it will be god save Toronto .
    5. Sensible Toronto Voter posted on 04/03/2014 02:06 PM
      @Karl Burgin Does that mean you lied when you signed up on the 1010 website? Shame on you.

Oh, wait - never mind - you're just following the lead of your hero, Ford the inveterate liar.
    6. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 03:31 PM
      @Sensible Toronto Voter I still fail to see your point- as much as I see you're giving it your best effort to string logic together.

Please try again.
    7. Sensible Toronto Voter posted on 04/03/2014 04:10 PM
      @Karl Burgin Check out your own profile on here, stupid.
      It states that you're from Brampton.

You said "Never said I lived in Brampton"
      Hmmm ... logical conclusions:
      a) You don't know where you live or
      b) You lied

You pick, Doofus.
    8. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 04:13 PM
      @Sensible Toronto Voter Donny, is that you trying to find out where I live....

Haha......good luck with that
    9. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 04:14 PM
      @Karl Burgin Out of curiosity (though I know I'll 'probably regret it), what else does my profile say about me, that you're seeing...
    10. Mark7 posted on 04/03/2014 04:20 PM
      @Karl Burgin That you're a student at Compaq
    11. john posted on 04/03/2014 04:27 PM
      @Sensible Toronto Voter everybody lies in there profile that why i find it hard to beleave u r form Toronto .
    12. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 04:36 PM
      @Mark7 huh....that's interesting.

You wouldn't happen to looking at an empty LinkedIn account- would you.

...and for someone who loves calling me a liar- you're one to talk. Since, of the two of us, at least I have the balls to use a consistent ID- where my comments are liked or not.

You can't even stick to the same ID, during one back-and-forth conversation.

You're slipping donny...
    13. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 04:41 PM
      @john The real question, is since when did this all become about me, and where I live...

You have people (possibly perverts) pretending to be my parents, and you have other crazies threatening to come to my home. For all I know, they all could be one and the same person (or couple of people)
      Which then either makes them at the very LEAST, a schizophrenic that is in serious need of medication- or at worst, a seriously mentally ill patient who's escaped from CAMH.

In either case, I'd rather not post my address (not even the city to give them a starting point) as to where I live. The last thing I need is a murder charge for protecting my family- all because of a crazy who doesn't understand the meaning of boundaries.
    14. Sensible Toronto Voter posted on 04/03/2014 06:37 PM
      @Karl Burgin Is the price of gas much different between Kitchener and Brampton, Karl? I bet it's adding up what with your latest try at a job being only part time.
  12. kenfromcanada posted on 04/03/2014 10:07 PM
    Oh, this thread is way too funny.
    So, lets stir all these players up a bit:
    Karl - if - and I say IF in HUGE capital letters - donny p(utz) did make a formal complaint - GUESS what - in the initial disclosure you should get the REAL name of the complainant. If not - under the Freedom of Information request provisions, you should get the name and more, about the complainant.

lololololol.

I can not wait to see this play out.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 04/04/2014 09:38 AM
      @kenfromcanada Do you mean at that point, that I'll finally be able to know who I'm dealing with- so I can go over and whoop him?

But seriously, donny seems to forget that its his insensitive and offensive racial slurs, that makes everyone ignore him.

At the end of the day, though we may all not agree on everything, as long as debating is done properly- we can all still respect each other.
      Donny P(utz) took it to a whole other level with the racist talk- of which I have no tolerance for. SO I would SO like to see him go for it.

And between you and me KENFROMCANADA, could you outrageously support Ford a bit more. Or maybe blast the Liberals a bit more. Anything to draw fire and keep donny, or his multiple imaginary friends off my back. Just to give him more work to do when he decides to personally go after people for no reason ;p
  13. Mark posted on 04/04/2014 07:04 AM
    Stupid Toronto has no choice but to NOT re-elect Ford. No one will work with him or support anything he wants to do. I was happy for you Toronto fools when Ford was elected but his childish antics have eroded any support I ever had for the man. Sadly, wishy washy Tory is the only option left.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 04/04/2014 09:30 AM
      @Mark Call him what you want. He's the only guy with the knowledge and the ability to actually do the job. Do you want the job done, or do you want some clown spewing one liner slogans that appeals to the low intellect of the general voter?

You can't have both.
  14. Frankie posted on 04/04/2014 10:24 AM
    Here's just one word that should guide all politicians, not just mayors - RESPECT

Rule 1. RESPECT for taxpayers so we're not wasting their hard-earned dollars

Rule 2. RESPECT for citizens so there's reasonable money and services available to those in need without forgetting rule 1.

Rule 3. RESPECT for all citizens by treating them all equal as opposed to treating some groups more equal than others.

Rule 4. RESPECT the health of our citizens by allowing them reasonable access to timely health care

Rule 5. RESPECT for our children by ensuring they're given a good education

Rule 6. RESPECT for our elderly and terminally sick so they have the option to die when they want

It won't happen!

Do you believe the companies you give your personal and financial details to are able to keep them safe from hackers?