UPDATE: Mayoralty candidate John Tory's 'code of conduct' takes aim at Rob Ford's behaviour

Former NEWSTALK 1010 host wants to introduce a personal and political 'code of conduct'

John Tory explains his 'code of conduct' he would bring to City Hall if he's elected Mayor of Toronto
Photo: Russ Courtney/NEWSTALK 1010

Toronto Mayoralty hopeful John Tory is out with a personal and political code of conduct that promises to put into place, should he win the election in October.

It's a 10-point plan that flows directly from the Rob Ford mess.

The vast majority of Tory's 'code' contains items that can be seen as clear shots at Rob Ford; things like "I will not compile and enemies list," and "I will always treat city staff with respect."

Here is Tory's complete 'code of conduct':

LEADING A GREAT CITY

1. I will respect and defend our laws, not break them. I will act with the highest degree of integrity, honesty and professionalism that public office demands.  In short, I will respect the law.

2. I will show up for work each day to get things done, and I will do this in a transparent manner. This includes keeping a weekly schedule that is public and easily accessible.

3. I will conduct, at a minimum, a weekly press availability that is open and honest. Fostering meaningful and open civic dialogue requires a Mayor who answers questions – not runs from them.

MAKE CITY COUNCIL WORK FOR TORONTO

4. I will build and promote strong working relationships with neighbouring municipalities and other levels of government without regard to their political stripe. Torontonians want tangible and meaningful results and that means working together.

5. I will mend relationships and build bridges in a divided City Council by working with every member on an issue-by-issue basis. The outcome needs to reflect a desire to make life better for Torontonians.

6. I will not compile an enemies list. Torontonians do not want a party system at city hall. I will use the mayor’s office to work with people, not carry on old fights.

7. I will always treat city staff with respect and professionalism. A Mayor can be tough and decisive without being overbearing and brash.

RESPECT TAXPAYERS WITH ACTIONS, NOT JUST WORDS

8. I will ensure that city resources are used exclusively for city business by tightening spending rules and oversight mechanisms. Not one public penny will be used on personal matters.

9. I will introduce real penalties for elected officials and public servants who abuse the privileges, responsibilities and trust that accompany public service. We work for Torontonians – not the other way around.

10. I will require all lobbyists to register in order to make our system more fair and accountable, including leveling the playing field for union lobbyists.

Tory unveiled his campaign platform plant from behind a podium with a sign that read 'RESPECT THE LAW.'

The former NEWSTALK 1010 host says it's time to "reset the bar" and hold Mayor Rob Ford  to account for behaviour that would get employees at most workplaces fired.

1. don was right posted on 04/03/2014 08:38 AM
    John Tory, who on CFRB several times talked about how he smoked marijuana, slams illegal drugs. Marijuana was and still is illegal. Cue the CFRB podcasts of Tory extracting his foot from his mouth - once again.
    1. Sonny posted on 04/03/2014 10:01 AM
      @don was right Hopefully he didn't smoke crack like that guy who doesn't know how to use the Yes/No button OR read the Code of Conduct despite being at City Hall over 13 years...
    2. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 10:21 AM
      @don was right I wonder if city council will get a code of conduct as well- that's way overdue.
  2. Fact Provider posted on 04/03/2014 09:06 AM
    Well done, Mr. Tory,
    Keep chipping away at the moronic almost-mayor.
  3. Jack posted on 04/03/2014 09:51 AM
    Tory already meets the most important qualification for this mayoral race: Being #AnythingButChow ! I'm curious to see if he distinguishes himself any further.
  4. Angry Bill posted on 04/03/2014 10:13 AM
    Well, people have been saying that in order for John to be seriously considered, he'd have to attack Ford's issues. This looks like the first salvo from him in doing that.

For me, honesty and integrity are reasons enough. For others, honesty and integrity aren't that high on their list of qualities they want in a mayor. If Tory doesn't win, then I guess the voters have chosen.. they aren't interested in having those qualities in a mayor. In which case, you deserve the government you voted for. And you have no right to complain.
    1. dama posted on 04/03/2014 04:15 PM
      @Angry Bill The voters are not going into this blind,, they know the candidates now and probably debated within themselves who is the better candidate, weighing all the pros and cons of each platform/policy of each candidates.

Some like you will vote for JT based on his honesty and integrity(as you stated).

Others will vote for Rob Ford based on his "track record" of helping the poor citizens of Toronto even with his scandals which to some pale in comparison to The Liberal's scandals....

and finally others will vote for Olivia Chow for they want more pre-school nurseries and more libraries

Honesty and integrity, does mean the candidate can perform the job,, remember that the mayor only has one vote.... as in good guy finish last..

So, each is partaking in their democratic right to vote...

5. AC posted on 04/03/2014 10:16 AM
    please! Rob Ford doesn't need no stinking rules or code or conduct. that's for others.
    Rob work day is drag his lazy azz out of bed at 10 get to work at 12. don't do any homework involving what's going on in the city, get on peoples nerves at city hall until 3 pm. split, drive towards home stop off in some laneway, knock off a bottle in the truck, stop off at the strip mall hang out with the posse boys for a while smoke one or two go home and do the same the next day
  6. frank posted on 04/03/2014 10:20 AM
    He failed to keep up with Project Brazen - now on hold due to no evidence! What will Mr. Tory's penalty be?
  7. Brian posted on 04/03/2014 10:30 AM
    I see a lot of "I's" John Tory is a Big Business Tax and Spend Liberal, not Conservative!
    1. Scott posted on 04/03/2014 10:43 AM
      @Brian Why are you trying to box him into one big general ideology. You are trying to say that all that John Tory is can be summed up in 8 words. Give people reading these comments a little more credit then that. How about we let the candidates articulate their own policies instead of knee jerk reactions founded with very little. also, why are you trying to sell this message - your comments are now suspect.
  8. john posted on 04/03/2014 10:32 AM
    can somebody please knock some sense into john Tory . nobody cares what people do in private . he is not going to win sh$$#$it if he keeps doing that . this dude is starting to loose my vote .
    1. Sam posted on 04/03/2014 11:02 AM
      @john c'mon you're just being silly because your hero is a ^^%#ing idiot in private and in public.
      no one cares what people do in private? c'mon at least try to show a little more intelligence. i know it's hard to that from his supporters but try at least
    2. john's mom posted on 04/03/2014 01:35 PM
      @john John - get away from the computer and go to your room this instant !!
      Your comments are stupid and rude and people know that I'm your mother.
  9. Bettie posted on 04/03/2014 10:38 AM
    It's not particularly innovative, creative or dynamic but it needed to be said on placards and now it has been.
  10. Ted posted on 04/03/2014 11:05 AM
    Tory's list is missing - "I will not be a red-tory / liberal / laurentian elite"
    1. Bob's Burgers posted on 04/03/2014 12:04 PM
      @Ted Another typically 'dumb' comment from a Fraud Supporter.
      Keep dreamin', moron.
  11. Doug Ford posted on 04/03/2014 12:07 PM
    Rob has promised to abide by this Code of Conduct in the future:

1. I will not pee in the parks

2. I will not give little kids the finger

3. I will not try to smoke the crack of dawn

4. I will not eat the crack of Dawn

5. I will not drink alcohol to excess in my office

6: I will not beat my wife and staff

7. I will not smoke marijuana

8. I will not compile enemies lists and attack my enemies using robocalls or social media

9. I will not drive drunk ever again

10. The F-word is no longer in my vocabulary.

11. I will not crash events to which I have not been invited.

12 I will not have my brother-in-law attacked again.

I can assure the citizens of Toronto that as soon as Rob gets sober and straight again, he will abide by this code...maybe next year.

God Bless Toronto
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 04/03/2014 12:12 PM
      @Doug Ford Another typical comment by an imposter with the inability to make his case using his own ID.
      It must be a common defect among your kind.
    2. john posted on 04/03/2014 02:03 PM
      @Doug Ford if anybody but ford gets in it will be god save Toronto .
  12. kenfromcanada posted on 04/03/2014 10:07 PM
    Oh, this thread is way too funny.
    So, lets stir all these players up a bit:
    Karl - if - and I say IF in HUGE capital letters - donny p(utz) did make a formal complaint - GUESS what - in the initial disclosure you should get the REAL name of the complainant. If not - under the Freedom of Information request provisions, you should get the name and more, about the complainant.

lololololol.

I can not wait to see this play out.
    1. Karl Burgin posted on 04/04/2014 09:38 AM
      @kenfromcanada Do you mean at that point, that I'll finally be able to know who I'm dealing with- so I can go over and whoop him?

But seriously, donny seems to forget that its his insensitive and offensive racial slurs, that makes everyone ignore him.

At the end of the day, though we may all not agree on everything, as long as debating is done properly- we can all still respect each other.
      Donny P(utz) took it to a whole other level with the racist talk- of which I have no tolerance for. SO I would SO like to see him go for it.

And between you and me KENFROMCANADA, could you outrageously support Ford a bit more. Or maybe blast the Liberals a bit more. Anything to draw fire and keep donny, or his multiple imaginary friends off my back. Just to give him more work to do when he decides to personally go after people for no reason ;p
  13. Mark posted on 04/04/2014 07:04 AM
    Stupid Toronto has no choice but to NOT re-elect Ford. No one will work with him or support anything he wants to do. I was happy for you Toronto fools when Ford was elected but his childish antics have eroded any support I ever had for the man. Sadly, wishy washy Tory is the only option left.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 04/04/2014 09:30 AM
      @Mark Call him what you want. He's the only guy with the knowledge and the ability to actually do the job. Do you want the job done, or do you want some clown spewing one liner slogans that appeals to the low intellect of the general voter?

You can't have both.
  14. Frankie posted on 04/04/2014 10:24 AM
    Here's just one word that should guide all politicians, not just mayors - RESPECT

Rule 1. RESPECT for taxpayers so we're not wasting their hard-earned dollars

Rule 2. RESPECT for citizens so there's reasonable money and services available to those in need without forgetting rule 1.

Rule 3. RESPECT for all citizens by treating them all equal as opposed to treating some groups more equal than others.

Rule 4. RESPECT the health of our citizens by allowing them reasonable access to timely health care

Rule 5. RESPECT for our children by ensuring they're given a good education

Rule 6. RESPECT for our elderly and terminally sick so they have the option to die when they want

It won't happen!

Does the prospect of the Burlington Skyway being closed for a number of days, change your travel plans for the long weekend?