Long term closures on Gardiner Expressway begin

It will mean the loss of one lane of traffic in each direction in sections of the Gardiner Expressway from Park Lawn to Bathurst

If you use the Gardiner Expressway daily, you'll notice some major changes starting Monday.

The city will begin setting up for three major construction projects with lane closures expected to be in place fully by Thursday.

That work will mean the loss of one lane of traffic in each direction in sections of the Gardiner Expressway from Park Lawn to Bathurst.

The city will be rehabilitating three bridges near the Humber River, replacing the median from the start of High Park to Dufferin St., and spending $70-million to replace the elevated deck from the CNE to Bathurst St. and demolish a bridge underneath the Gardiner.

The median work is expected to be done by August and the bridge work December, but the deck replacement won't be done until December of 2016 (with a two month break for the Pan AM Games).

The city says it will do everything possible to minimize the disruption, including coordinating traffic signals on alternate routes and working to make sure those roads are free of other construction projects.

1. Frankie posted on 04/28/2014 10:23 AM
    We can thank past city councils for the current disaster, including Miller, Lastman, etc. $ 50 Million was earmarked for repairs and none of it was spent, putting us at the critical point now.

That's the problem with selfish politicians who only think about re-election vs the good of the city.
    1. Angry Bill posted on 04/28/2014 10:55 AM
      @Frankie That is easily remedied. Vote for Tory. Problem solved, if your goal is to not have a selfish politician who only thinks about re-election and not the good of the city.

Every other politician out there is a politician.. self-serving and not terribly competent to run a city. Tory certainly doesn't need the fame or the money. He's not doing this for selfish reasons. He KNOWS how to run a business and handle large budgets.

The choice is obvious. But if people want the same as what they've had for the past several decades of self-serving mismanagement, then by all means, don't vote for Tory. Just don't complain after the election, because you got the exact government you deserve.
    2. John posted on 04/28/2014 12:25 PM
      @Angry Bill Angry Bill --
      I'd love to think Tory is our man, but I don't think so. He is big money estabilshment and is a politician at heart. He worked on the Miller campaign in the 80's, this is not an average guy.
      While Ford is not the man I would dine with personally, I appreciate his "bull in a china shop" attitude, even if it rubs everyone the wrong way. Things are getting done, but with brass knuckles.
      Toronto doesn't need a politician, or another left wing dreamer, we need someone rough and tough, a modern day William Lyon Mackenzie.
      Ford has my vote.
    3. Angry Bill posted on 04/28/2014 12:47 PM
      @John I appreciate your sentiment, John, but I'll disagree on a couple of points. No, he is not the "average guy". Personally, I know a lot of average guys, and I wouldn't trust any of them to run a city.

On the surface, Ford's bull in a china shop personality can appear to get things done.. but not really. In order to get anything worthwhile done, you need to build bridges and work with people of different political stripes. Ford has demonstrated he cannot do that. What he gets done is mostly surface optics, unfortunately, and nothing really worthwhile. I don't consider Scarb subways to be wise spending.. downtown relief line is a better priority.

I will say, however, you are the first person to liken Ford to William Lyon MacKenzie! However, let me just say that if you get your wish and Ford gets back in, you can look forward to another four years of the dysfunction that City Hall has been experiencing for the past year. Not that they weren't dysfunctional before, what with being socialists and all, but tossing Ford into that mix, while entertaining, doesn't serve to actually get much accomplished.
    4. Jon posted on 04/28/2014 02:36 PM
      @Frankie Watch this issue. People will blame everyone except Ford. Everyone but Ford...of course AND if he gets blamed...we sure will see...Doug to the rescue.
  2. Carol posted on 04/28/2014 10:27 AM
    Please make it stop!! I took the Lakeshore this morning, thinking I would be a smarter commuter.......nope! Left at 7:10 from Carlaw and made it to Sunnybrook pool by 9:20......WTH??
    Turned around and went home....
    I cannot do this for TWO YEARS......
    Yes, I will be leaving earlier tomorrow, but so will everyone else, I imagine....sob.....
    I work in Oakville....what other routes are there??
    Can't they work on these roads at night??
    Two years?.........seriously??
    1. Angry Bill posted on 04/28/2014 10:58 AM
      @Carol I feel for ya, Carol. I used to work downtown Toronto, as well. It took me a long time, but I finally found work north of the 401. I now never have to drive south of the 401 for work, and my commute is nirvana compared to what it used to be. It would take a salary well into the 6 figures to get me working south of the 401 again. It just isn't worth it, and eventually more and more people will start to realize that.
  3. John posted on 04/28/2014 02:40 PM
    Painful but because the city has 'sat' on this for years, this post an imminent danger to driver's. Of course Ford is involved now. Remember - he is running for office. How long has this been in the front lines? We even had an international consultant whom we paid a lot to diagnose that which Canadians already know. That the Gardiner is not fully safe and the possibilities are quite dangerous (if you remember the findings). We waited too long so now we are crossing dangerous stage of the road we needed to do double duty. Vote for Rob Ford...really....NOT
    1. Tim posted on 04/28/2014 03:07 PM
      @John @ John - I agree with you completely. Ford sat on this and is now being fixed under his watch when it could've been done earlier during his tenure. Something to be watched. He'll take credit for it when it was someone else who has been pushing for this for a long time. And yes - Dough will not be too far behind defending his brother just like always. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong. We'll hear it again. "Who's perfect?"; "I apologize". I am amazed on how long he can hear the sound of his own name. Always the victim but never the trailblazer.
  4. JohnH_6636 posted on 04/28/2014 05:16 PM
    I don't use Gardiner, but will use DVP south of 401. My commute is well over 100 minutes, not the 82 Civic Action things exists. I do not use 407 because 1 trip one way to take kids to school is $57/month I just don't have. From school near Dufferin I travel east to Bayview and eventually work over to DVP usually at York Mills to east of Gardiner on Lake Shore by Carlaw. If there were other options that moved I'd take them, but I've tried them all, thanks to floods and other issues, and my only saving grace is not needing the Gardiner unless I need to go west.

Does debate over the inclusiveness of the lyrics to 'O Canada' belong on the floor of Toronto City Council?