NEWS

UPDATE: Police investigate NEW crack videos; Brother Doug visibly shaken
Releases statement saying he 'knows I need professional help and I'm 100% committed to getting myself right'....
156 1

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed vitae mollis tellus

Courtesy for Rey Mena

Wearing a black button up shirt without a tie, and a black suit, Mayor Rob Ford left his Etobicoke home through a side door and made his way to a waiting car at the foot of the driveway. He didn't speak to reporters, as a large suitcase was loaded into the trunk of an orange Camaro, that was parked behind the small sedan.

And with that, Ford is off to rehab.

After maintaining for months that he is not an addict or an alcoholic, Rob Ford announced Wednesday he is seeking help for substance abuse, even as media reports emerged with new drug and alcohol allegations.

``I have a problem with alcohol, and the choices I have made while under the influence. I have struggled with this for some time,'' the mayor said in a statement emailed by his re-election campaign.

``I have tried to deal with these issues by myself over the past year. I know that I need professional help and I am now 100 per cent committed to getting myself right.''

The mayor said he will take a leave of absence from his re-election campaign and mayoral duties ``to seek immediate help,'' but gave no other details as to his plans.

NEWSTALK 1010 has confirmed the City Clerk's office received written notification late Wednesday night that the Mayor is taking a personal leave of absence.  He did not give a specific length of time but the statement does say the mayor would provide additional information to the Clerk as required.

That left Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who has essentially been performing Ford's duties since council stripped Ford of most of his mayoral duties last year, now firmly in charge, at least for the time being.

Kelly, who denounced Ford's actions as ``inexcusable,'' called the situation a ``personal tragedy'' and not a ``crisis of government.''

He also said he expected Ford would return to council.

The Toronto Sun, which carried quotes from the mayor about his decision to go get help, reported Ford will nonetheless remain on the ballot for the Oct. 27 mayoral election. The mayor has staunchly refused to step down despite the controversy swirling around him.

The announcement came as the Sun, the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail reported fresh allegations about the mayor.

The Globe said two of its reporters viewed a new video of Ford smoking what the newspaper said was described as crack cocaine by a self-professed drug dealer. The Globe said the video was secretly filmed in Ford's sister's basement early Saturday morning.

The newspaper said the mayor would not comment on the video when approached at city hall Wednesday.

Toronto Star editor Michael Cooke said the newspaper was publishing details of ``two nights of utter debauchery'' involving Ford at a Toronto nightclub a few weeks ago.

Cooke told CP24 that it included an argument with Justin Bieber over the pop idol making fun of Ford -- ``digging him about, you know, did you bring any crack cocaine etc.''

The Star said it was unable to reach Bieber for comment.

Meanwhile, the Sun reported it obtained an audio recording that it said was of the mayor ``being unruly as he's ordering booze'' and making ``lewd comments'' about his election rival Karen Stintz at a west Toronto bar.

A spokesman for Stintz was quick to express outrage over the alleged comments, calling them ``deeply offensive to everyone living in Toronto.''

``That a sitting mayor would make such shocking and bigoted remarks is disgusting,'' the spokesman said.

The mayor reportedly told the paper he didn't remember saying any of the things on the recording but confirmed he was at the bar that night.

Dennis Morris, Ford's lawyer, would not comment on the allegations that emerged Wednesday evening. ``I can't comment on any of those until I see them,'' he said.

Ford's statement came out late Wednesday -- after the news reports in the Sun and the Globe -- but it did not address the claims about the new video and audio tapes.

The announcement Ford would seek help is the latest retreat for the embattled mayor, who initially dismissed all allegations of drug or alcohol abuse as a media conspiracy against him. He has since admitted having used crack cocaine while in a ``drunken stupor'' during his tenure. Shortly afterward, city council voted to relieve Ford of many of his mayoral powers.

The mayor also admitted he had been drinking during an incident in which he was filmed using Jamaican swear words and other profanities at a Toronto restaurant.

He vowed last year that he had given up alcohol -- part of a campaign to rehabilitate his image in light of his admission. His family had previously backed up his assertions and his decision not to resign or take an official leave.

Media reports of a cellphone video on which Ford appears to smoke crack cocaine first appeared last May, and sparked a police probe dubbed Project Brazen 2. But at that time, a guns, gangs and weapons probe called Project Traveller was already well underway. It included wiretaps that allegedly captured conversations about the video.

Police also believe that a widely published photo showing Ford posing with three men -- one shot dead shortly after the photo was taken and the other two accused gang members -- was taken outside an alleged crack house.

Mayor Ford released the following statement:

Tonight I want to take some time to speak from my heart to the people of Toronto. It's not easy to be vulnerable and this is one of the most difficult times in my life. I have a problem with alcohol, and the choices I have made while under the influence. I have struggled with this for some time.

Today, after taking some time to think about my own well-being, how to best serve the people of Toronto and what is in the best interests of my family, I have decided to take a leave from my duties as Mayor to seek immediate help.

I have tried to deal with these issues by myself over the past year. I know that I need professional help and I am now 100% committed to getting myself right.

I love the people of Toronto, I love being your Mayor and I hope you will continue to stand by me.

With 5the support of my family, friends, professionals and the people of Toronto, I will conquer this.

Please keep me and my family in your prayers during these difficult days ahead.

I just want to say to the people of Toronto that I thank you for your ongoing support and encouragement. I cannot tell you enough how much I appreciate it.

Mayor Rob Ford

RELATED: Mayoral candidates, councillors call on Ford to resign

Categories:

1. Contemplate This posted on 04/30/2014 09:13 PM
        Ford gets caught again.
        Ford says he's going to get help again.
        Is it a ploy?
        That wouldn't be a surprise - given his poor polling numbers.
        1. Alex posted on 04/30/2014 10:00 PM
          @Contemplate This He just lies lies and lies and doesn't stop lying.
          Every level headed conservative should vote John Tory.
          This Rob Ford is nothing but trouble and we need leadership now.
        2. Mark7 posted on 05/01/2014 01:42 AM
          @Alex Rob is no different than any Fiberal, yet they keep getting re-elected.
        3. Jim posted on 05/01/2014 07:47 AM
          @Alex Vote for "Tory the Tax Bringer"? Are you bleeping crazy? John Tory is no better than Olivia Chow. Tory will expand the city's debt as fast or faster than David Miller.

Give your head a shake.
        4. Angry Bill posted on 05/01/2014 10:00 AM
          @Jim You couldn't be more wrong, Jim. That you equate Tory with Chow shows how little you understand exactly what Tory is trying to do. If Tory brings taxes, you can be assured they would be well-thought out, well managed, and there would be no waste. If Chow, or any socialist, brings in taxes you can be assured it won't be well thought out, there will be a ton of waste, and money will be thrown away.
        5. Karl Burgin posted on 05/01/2014 10:24 AM
          @Angry Bill If Ford for whatever reason cannot come back, hopefully people will vote for Tory.
          Although I still sorely wish he went provincial. He would have an assured victory there, and would do a ton more good as an alternative (to the Liberals that people will actually vote for) and as a premier.
        6. john posted on 05/01/2014 10:40 AM
          @Angry Bill u do realize that tory in the last election he try ed to give money to private schools . right ? there a waste of money there mate .
        7. Angry Bill posted on 05/01/2014 10:49 AM
          @john john... we ALREADY give money to private schools. Catholic private schools already enjoy our tax dollars. John's only point was that we should either scrap that, or not discriminate against other private schools that don't enjoy the same funding that Catholic private schools do.

The liberals grabbed hold of that one point in his entire platform, twisted it, and put it out there with their spin on it for the gullible and non-thinking public to consume. And, they bought it.
        8. Mark7 posted on 05/01/2014 12:23 PM
          @Angry Bill Sheeple criminal Fiberal voters are why we will never get out of this worsening financial ruin, Bill. It is sad to see my province and country go to ruin by the criminal Fiberals, with the blessings of the non thinking majority.
        9. dama posted on 05/01/2014 02:30 PM
          @Karl Burgin With this latest happening, I dont think Rob Ford can make a comeback,, he is doing the right thing to get professional help

Ford Nation needs to realise that the demon is stronger than Rob Ford's flesh.. hence he relapsed quite often....

At this point and after treatment,, .. Rob Ford should stay away from politic for a while and when fully recovered run provincially..

John Tory should be gaining momentum now..
        10. Adriane Taylor posted on 05/04/2014 08:33 PM
          @Jim My message to Norm Kelly..no one but your 44 friends and Wynne cares what you think...Mr. Tory reading from a piece of paper whilst pledging undying support for Norm Kelly does not make you look like a Leader...if you have what it takes to be Mayor let's see it...my message to Wynne...I pray we have seen the last of you...my message to you 44 pompous fools who think you have a right to disenfranchise the Voters...you will reap your rewards..To those of you who are so blinded by a few missteps by a red blooded human being to see you are being maneuvered by The Left Agenda..Wake Up!!

My message to Mayor Ford...We The People will not rest until Democracy is restored to The Province of Ontario and our capital city Toronto.. The vast majority of The People of Toronto will not succumb to the efforts to silence us, remove our right to vote or our capacity to show compassion. 44 Councillors plus Wynne will not succeed in diminishing our rights under the Charter. We voted for Rob Ford...more votes than any other politician in the history of Canada...not Wynne's cot check boy.
      2. JohnVoter posted on 04/30/2014 09:20 PM
        Slap a mans hand down when he's reaching out for helps makes you look like the foolish ones.

This may turn him around, it may not but don't kick him when hes down.

Or would you be part of the group of people that would criticize him for turning either left or right.
        1. Contemplate This posted on 04/30/2014 09:27 PM
          @JohnVoter Wake up - no slapping him down at all.
          Pay attention ! This is not reaching out for help - this is a desperate move to get his numbers up (while getting some badly needed help).

There are now at least 2 new videos added to the poor polling numbers.
          He's in a self-made corner - and so are the die-hard Ford supporters.
        2. JohnVoter posted on 04/30/2014 09:37 PM
          @Contemplate This And why prey tell is the alternative for this city.

Chow, Tory, Stinz??

Sad thing is that he's the only guy that tells it to you straight and grin-Fu*k you while throwing money at problems like Miller did.

I dont want an over spender
          I dont want an elitist
          and i sure as hell dont want Stinz.

newsflash! a portion of people DO NOT CARE WHAT HE DOES IN PRIVATE, above all else I want to know my money will be respected away or at least the appearance of such. Give me someone like Ford without the BS and ill vote for him, until them we have Ford.
        3. JohnVoter posted on 04/30/2014 09:38 PM
          @Contemplate This And why prey tell is the alternative for this city.

Chow, Tory, Stinz??

I dont want an over spender
          I dont want an elitist
          and i sure as hell dont want Stinz.

4. Ted posted on 04/30/2014 10:58 PM
          @JohnVoter He is a millionaire drug user who goes on Jimmy Kimmel. Ford is the definition of an elitist.
        5. tanjo posted on 04/30/2014 11:19 PM
          @JohnVoter I don't care what he does in private. I do care that he lied to us about it. And the lies have come so frequently and about so many things that it would take the ultimate suspension of disbelief to say you trust him with your money.

Oh, and aside from the first crack video and the "Hulk Hogan" video, the other incidents occured in public, not in private.
        6. Karl Burgin posted on 05/01/2014 10:44 AM
          @Ted ...and yet the poor people connect so much more to Ford than the other candidates.
      3. Alex posted on 04/30/2014 09:53 PM
        So he continues to live a double LIE then gets caught again and does the minimum.
        This bum has had so many undeserved chances already.
        Do us a favour Rob and just go away.
        1. Sonny posted on 05/01/2014 09:14 AM
          @Alex To all the Ford supporters; he does not deserve any sympathy, 30 Days will not be enough & he should resign!
          It was amusing to hear Blatchford, Towhey, Batra & Agar try to rationalize this recent scandal...
        2. Karl Burgin posted on 05/01/2014 10:45 AM
          @Sonny I heard it too, and I agree with them.
          Wasn't it the general consensus that he go this route anyway?
        3. Sonny posted on 05/01/2014 11:14 AM
          @Karl Burgin So the pundits still like his agenda! Rob should have long gone to rehab because it was the lying and the indefensible stonewalling approach that I got tired of. Never mind the personal attacks and the insistance that the video was fake or there wasn't crack in the pipe.
        4. Karl Burgin posted on 05/01/2014 11:26 AM
          @Sonny You are right in one sense. Because Towhey tried to get Ford to go to rehab last year and was fired for it.
          In his words, you can only show him the way, but you can;t force him to walk it.

M