UPDATE: Police investigate NEW crack videos; Brother Doug visibly shaken

Releases statement saying he 'knows I need professional help and I'm 100% committed to getting myself right'....

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed vitae mollis tellus

Courtesy for Rey Mena

Wearing a black button up shirt without a tie, and a black suit, Mayor Rob Ford left his Etobicoke home through a side door and made his way to a waiting car at the foot of the driveway. He didn't speak to reporters, as a large suitcase was loaded into the trunk of an orange Camaro, that was parked behind the small sedan.

And with that, Ford is off to rehab.

After maintaining for months that he is not an addict or an alcoholic, Rob Ford announced Wednesday he is seeking help for substance abuse, even as media reports emerged with new drug and alcohol allegations.

``I have a problem with alcohol, and the choices I have made while under the influence. I have struggled with this for some time,'' the mayor said in a statement emailed by his re-election campaign.

``I have tried to deal with these issues by myself over the past year. I know that I need professional help and I am now 100 per cent committed to getting myself right.''

The mayor said he will take a leave of absence from his re-election campaign and mayoral duties ``to seek immediate help,'' but gave no other details as to his plans.

NEWSTALK 1010 has confirmed the City Clerk's office received written notification late Wednesday night that the Mayor is taking a personal leave of absence.  He did not give a specific length of time but the statement does say the mayor would provide additional information to the Clerk as required.

That left Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who has essentially been performing Ford's duties since council stripped Ford of most of his mayoral duties last year, now firmly in charge, at least for the time being.

Kelly, who denounced Ford's actions as ``inexcusable,'' called the situation a ``personal tragedy'' and not a ``crisis of government.''

He also said he expected Ford would return to council.

The Toronto Sun, which carried quotes from the mayor about his decision to go get help, reported Ford will nonetheless remain on the ballot for the Oct. 27 mayoral election. The mayor has staunchly refused to step down despite the controversy swirling around him.

The announcement came as the Sun, the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail reported fresh allegations about the mayor.

The Globe said two of its reporters viewed a new video of Ford smoking what the newspaper said was described as crack cocaine by a self-professed drug dealer. The Globe said the video was secretly filmed in Ford's sister's basement early Saturday morning.

The newspaper said the mayor would not comment on the video when approached at city hall Wednesday.

Toronto Star editor Michael Cooke said the newspaper was publishing details of ``two nights of utter debauchery'' involving Ford at a Toronto nightclub a few weeks ago.

Cooke told CP24 that it included an argument with Justin Bieber over the pop idol making fun of Ford -- ``digging him about, you know, did you bring any crack cocaine etc.''

The Star said it was unable to reach Bieber for comment.

Meanwhile, the Sun reported it obtained an audio recording that it said was of the mayor ``being unruly as he's ordering booze'' and making ``lewd comments'' about his election rival Karen Stintz at a west Toronto bar.

A spokesman for Stintz was quick to express outrage over the alleged comments, calling them ``deeply offensive to everyone living in Toronto.''

``That a sitting mayor would make such shocking and bigoted remarks is disgusting,'' the spokesman said.

The mayor reportedly told the paper he didn't remember saying any of the things on the recording but confirmed he was at the bar that night.

Dennis Morris, Ford's lawyer, would not comment on the allegations that emerged Wednesday evening. ``I can't comment on any of those until I see them,'' he said.

Ford's statement came out late Wednesday -- after the news reports in the Sun and the Globe -- but it did not address the claims about the new video and audio tapes.

The announcement Ford would seek help is the latest retreat for the embattled mayor, who initially dismissed all allegations of drug or alcohol abuse as a media conspiracy against him. He has since admitted having used crack cocaine while in a ``drunken stupor'' during his tenure. Shortly afterward, city council voted to relieve Ford of many of his mayoral powers.

The mayor also admitted he had been drinking during an incident in which he was filmed using Jamaican swear words and other profanities at a Toronto restaurant.

He vowed last year that he had given up alcohol -- part of a campaign to rehabilitate his image in light of his admission. His family had previously backed up his assertions and his decision not to resign or take an official leave.

Media reports of a cellphone video on which Ford appears to smoke crack cocaine first appeared last May, and sparked a police probe dubbed Project Brazen 2. But at that time, a guns, gangs and weapons probe called Project Traveller was already well underway. It included wiretaps that allegedly captured conversations about the video.

Police also believe that a widely published photo showing Ford posing with three men -- one shot dead shortly after the photo was taken and the other two accused gang members -- was taken outside an alleged crack house.

Mayor Ford released the following statement:

Today, after taking some time to think about my own well-being, how to best serve the people of Toronto and what is in the best interests of my family, I have decided to take a leave from my duties as Mayor to seek immediate help.

I have tried to deal with these issues by myself over the past year. I know that I need professional help and I am now 100% committed to getting myself right.

I love the people of Toronto, I love being your Mayor and I hope you will continue to stand by me.

With 5the support of my family, friends, professionals and the people of Toronto, I will conquer this.

Please keep me and my family in your prayers during these difficult days ahead.

I just want to say to the people of Toronto that I thank you for your ongoing support and encouragement. I cannot tell you enough how much I appreciate it.

Mayor Rob Ford

RELATED: Mayoral candidates, councillors call on Ford to resign

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
      1. Contemplate This posted on 04/30/2014 09:13 PM
        Ford gets caught again.
        Ford says he's going to get help again.
        Is it a ploy?
        That wouldn't be a surprise - given his poor polling numbers.
        1. Alex posted on 04/30/2014 10:00 PM
          @Contemplate This He just lies lies and lies and doesn't stop lying.
          Every level headed conservative should vote John Tory.
          This Rob Ford is nothing but trouble and we need leadership now.
      2. JohnVoter posted on 04/30/2014 09:20 PM
        Slap a mans hand down when he's reaching out for helps makes you look like the foolish ones.

This may turn him around, it may not but don't kick him when hes down.

Or would you be part of the group of people that would criticize him for turning either left or right.
        1. Contemplate This posted on 04/30/2014 09:27 PM
          @JohnVoter Wake up - no slapping him down at all.
          Pay attention ! This is not reaching out for help - this is a desperate move to get his numbers up (while getting some badly needed help).

There are now at least 2 new videos added to the poor polling numbers.
          He's in a self-made corner - and so are the die-hard Ford supporters.
      3. Alex posted on 04/30/2014 09:53 PM
        So he continues to live a double LIE then gets caught again and does the minimum.
        This bum has had so many undeserved chances already.
        Do us a favour Rob and just go away.
        1. Sonny posted on 05/01/2014 09:14 AM
          @Alex To all the Ford supporters; he does not deserve any sympathy, 30 Days will not be enough & he should resign!
          It was amusing to hear Blatchford, Towhey, Batra & Agar try to rationalize this recent scandal...
      4. D Keith posted on 04/30/2014 10:46 PM
        Must be down in the poles.
        1. tanjo posted on 04/30/2014 11:07 PM
          @D Keith polls
      5. Tessa posted on 04/30/2014 10:46 PM
        I saw this news on USA today. This shouldn't be of interest in the U.S.

He's an embarrassment, an anchor around the foot of world commerce of Canada. He drags down the whole country.

What a BOOB!!! What a JERK! What an IDIOT!

Toronto------Cut and run!
      6. tanjo posted on 04/30/2014 11:43 PM
        Just read his release. He has my prayers and my best wishes for a full recovery.
        1. Mark7 posted on 05/01/2014 01:46 AM
          @tanjo He has mine too. I am not a spiteful jerk like many here either, who kick someone when at their lowest. For them to argue otherwise is simply non-negotiable.
      7. Mike posted on 05/01/2014 02:19 AM
        One simply has to be honest. Too many lies. Too many apologies he has overstayed his welcome at this point (like the boy who cried wolf). Mark7 / Doug who has been faithful supporters cannot even defend him anymore at this point as it is starting to reflect negatively on themselves as people. He simply needs help and he has to own up to it. A true apology is a changed life and not one that happens far too often so one looses credibility. This Toronto....sadly...is our Mayor. I hope the city recovers indeed. I hope Ford more importantly - recovers as a person who has a wife, children and family.
        1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/01/2014 10:48 AM
          @Mike fake MARK7/DOUG is a troll posing as someone else- wanting to make those who support the mayor look foolish. He is not a supporter of Ford. He just goes around, posing as others when he doesn;t have the gall to express his views himself.
        2. Mark7 posted on 05/01/2014 12:25 PM
          @Mike Oh really?! He has overstayed his welcome?!

WHAT ABOUT THE CRIMINAL FIBERALS WHO HAVE LIED FOR DECADES YET CONTINUE TO GET IN? Well? Care to answer that, or just be another sheeple voter who votes for the non caring criminal Fiberals?
      8. Bob2008 posted on 05/01/2014 02:27 AM
        "And I'm entitled to a personal life, and my personal life does not interfere with the work I do, day-in and day-out, for the taxpayers of this great city." - Ford

Can't believe he thinks this does not interfere with his daily activities. He says "just like others/you". Fair BUT I would argue that I am also not running a city.....and you are. You can't compare us with you. I work for my money. I try to save for the future. I do pot as I think about it's affects to people around me and how that will affect them. As for the $, I can't do it as I need to think about my housing. Spending money like that does not in anyway help me better my situation. It actually puts money taken more away from my pocket.
      9. André Gaudreault posted on 05/01/2014 04:47 AM
        Please, do not go in a 96 hours straight ''Rob Ford 24 hours a day'' kind of thing, there are other news in this country.
      10. Suz58 posted on 05/01/2014 07:08 AM
        "Tonight I want to take some time to speak from my heart to the people of Toronto. It's not easy to be vulnerable and this is one of the most difficult times in my life. I have a problem with alcohol, and the choices I have made while under the influence. I have struggled with this for some time."
        It is time Toronto woke up! This is a spoiled little rich kid that is still not admitting to the problem. He is talking about getting help for his alcohol abuse? The first step to rehab is admitting you have a problem. He is still not admitting a problem with drugs, the first step to help. This is just another play on words, (which we all know Ford is very good at), another ploy to get the sympathy of Toronto voters. This is not a problem that is going to go away in 30 days. This problem goes much deeper!
        My true sympathies go to his wife and children. They need to save themselves and get out of Ford nation.
        1. Suz58 posted on 05/01/2014 08:19 AM
          @Suz58 Be on the lookout for tan lines while Ford is in "Rehab". Only he knows what is tied to his drunken "stupors". I think there will be more of the truth coming out while Ford is in hiding. I am sorry but before you can get help for a problem, you have to be honest and admit you have one. I really think there are some nasty skeletons in his closet.
          With behaviour such as this, comments from a Mayor that are not fit for adults ears let alone children, why do we ask him to step down? Where is our Government in all this? Is he setting precedence for what future mayoral candidates and politicians can get away with? No, I don't feel sorry for him. This is not some musician that became popular and rich and could not handle his fame. This is someone in a position to represent Toronto. He is a disgrace and we have not heard the last of him. Once a liar, always a liar.
        2. merlinjanssen posted on 05/01/2014 08:34 AM
          @Suz58 I think you have a point with a person being more 'themselves' while under the influence of alcohol (not drugs). I'm not a Torontonian, just listening to newstalk1010, personally, I would miss Ford's antiques... rather listen to it than the traffic problems there. But I do share your concern for his wife and young children, it must be hell for them to have to deal with this. I think it is more likely that his family has enough and set the ultimatum than it just being a prank to keep the voters happy.
      11. A Dago posted on 05/01/2014 08:04 AM
        Despite what he might say or do when he is sober, his true self is revealed when he's baked. This man is an arrogant, mean-spirited, misogynistic, racist bully.
      12. Lexi Rose posted on 05/01/2014 08:17 AM
        And yet again the crazy train is off the rails! It is time for Rob to face his deamons and leave office for good in order to save this fine city some semblance of class!
        I can only hope for him to get the much needed help he needs in order to save himself and his family. I dare say his sister should go to rehab as well.
        He is not fit to ever serve in public office again and his family needs to admit his problems are greater than his weight. His excess weight is the collection of enablers that he is carrying on his back!
      13. Fact Provider posted on 05/01/2014 08:56 AM
        Anyone besides me notice the conspicuous absence of Karl Ford (I mean "Burgin") ?
        1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/01/2014 09:09 AM
          @Fact Provider Don't worry, I'm right here.
          Sorry couldn't post sooner. These speeches of mine don;t write themselves.
      14. Mark7 posted on 05/01/2014 09:06 AM
        City TV got that shot of the Immigration Canada envelope on Rob's dash this morning...the kind of envelope they sent border waivers to felons so that America lets them into their country. Thank god they let him in because that first stone is the hardest to throw.
        1. Suz58 posted on 05/01/2014 09:27 AM
          @Mark7 If they were smart, border security would have their dogs ready and waiting. Machines primed for drug readings on his credit cards. God forbid we should know the truth.
      15. Karl Burgin posted on 05/01/2014 09:08 AM
        I guess today is full of disappointment all round. Things to note:

1.> Disappointed in Ford's poor judgement choices. Given all that has happened, he should have known better- and stop giving the enemy camp freakin' ammo to use against you.
        2.> VERY disappointed at those with their cell phone cameras urging the mayor on, to get their scoop- and the sell to the highest bidder
        3.> Although it is the media's job to report salacious news now, still disappointed in them as well
        4.> Disappointed in Karen Stinsk, taking Ford's comments to heart, as some sort of ammunition- especially when he made them supposedly 'off-the-record' and during a vulnerable moment. In other words, the man was obviously inebriated. Are you seriously going to play the victim card Stinsk, and say you were hurt by his comments when they were made drunk? Give me a break.
        5.> I believe Ford is actually going away to rehab this time. Hope the media (with any sense of decency left) not put coverage on him. And if Ford goes away for a while, the media are going to have withdrawal symptoms to deal with themselves.
        6.> Disappointed that Ford cannot have a private moment- whether it be at a bar or at his (or a family's home), where he's not being recorded behind the scenes.

7.> This goes to show Ford is not necessarily an addict- but let's loose in a big way every couple of months. I'm not making excuses for him here- but just commenting on what I'm observing.
        There seems to be people always around him with the camera at the ready to catch the mayor in an embarrassing moment. We have gone a good 2-3 months without an incident until the last few days. I'm pretty confident that the cameras were rolling during that time period 'without incident'.

8.> I wish Rob Ford well, and hopes he comes back to win the mayor's seat stronger than ever.
        1. Edwin posted on 05/01/2014 09:19 AM
          @Karl Burgin Karl. You need to wake up. Really.
          It hasn't been 2-3 months. There are several moments over the last 2-3 months where he was drink, opr stoned, out of his mind.
        2. Suz58 posted on 05/01/2014 09:33 AM
          @Karl Burgin Common Karl, you're a smart man. This is the 21st century. Social media is out there. If Ford wanted to keep his private life private, he never should have thrown his hat in the ring. Never should have gone to city hall to have private parties. Right now, he is the laughing stock. If he is voted in again, Toronto will be.
      16. l.g. posted on 05/01/2014 10:10 AM
        Too little too late. This is a man with so many problems there is no way to fix himself up in the few short months to the election. I feel bad for anyone that is battling with alcoholism but this man has made Toronto a joke around the world. Its time for him to step out of the political spotlight and get his home in order. His wife has put up with his nonsense for years and I am surprised she is still staying with him and holding her head up proudly.
        1. franklin posted on 05/01/2014 03:13 PM
          @l.g. Whoppi Golderg said it best on the View today. She said Torontonians "get" that he has a problem but recognize that he is doing his job.

He held back the $15K/household tax grab, which is impressive and saved about $1B in spending that otherwise would have taken place.
      17. justsaying posted on 05/01/2014 10:20 AM
        When Rob admitted he used Crack I posted on this board that I was sorry for all the Ford Nation supporters who had the wool pulled over their eyes.

I suggested that on that day, he should take a 3-6 month leave of absence, go into rehab - emerge in the early summer and upon a long rehabilitation, run for re-election. Despite all his baggage, if he had done that then and there - he might have won again.

But he didn't. He said he didn't have a problem. He created drama around himself at almost every opportunity - and none of it looked good to anyone. While Ford Nation kept supporting him, the mayor continued the exact behavior that created this whole mess for him in the first place.

Can he emerge after a one month rehab? If this latest video and audio tape had not come out, I'd have said maybe..... Now? He's toast. Burnt toast. It's over.

Also - anyone notice his demeanor since this came out? Not talking to media, running from them, acting belligerent almost as if he really didn't do anything... Not coming across as sincere, apologetic, humbled in any way. Note- the media is the city's window to YOU mayor Ford. When you talk to the media you are talking to us.

Sorry - you are ON for the people of TO the moment you step outside your home. You have to engage and put on a true face.

There is no way one month in rehab can affect his greatest challenges : arrogance, entitlement and contempt for all who do not see things his way.

Ford Nation, that's something you might want to examine in yourself too....
      18. Angry Bill posted on 05/01/2014 10:24 AM
        I agree with I.g. above. This is too little, too late.

He should have done this a year ago, and for much longer than 30 days. Being "forced" to go into rehab against your will, never mind for such a short period of time, will not work.

Any recovering addict or counselor will tell you that unless someone WILLINGLY admits they have a problem, and THEY, THEMSELVES decide it's time to take steps to rectify it, then it won't work. Really, it won't. Ford will be right back on the crack, booze, hookers, and whatever else he does.

He's still hanging on to his pipe dream of running for mayor and getting re-elected. Until that is taken from him, it will still be a crutch for him to avoid really taking his rehab seriously.

If he WAS actually serious, he would drop from the race, and go into rehab for an indeterminate period of time.. not 30 days, then come back and continue running for mayor. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about addictions knows that Ford won't really be cured of anything. If you know anything about addictions, you know there is no cure. That's why successful former addicts are constantly on guard every day. Because they know that relapse is just one drink away. They KNOW that they'll never be cured. Ford has not indicated in any way that he understands this. He's saying "gimme 30 days, and I'll come back fully cured". He understands nothing. And anyone who votes for him now, for any reason, is not only not doing the people of Toronto a favour, but they are not doing Ford a favour, either. Voting for Ford is just enabling him, and delaying the time when he finally and truly realizes he needs help.

That time has not arrived, yet.
        1. Sonny posted on 05/01/2014 10:55 AM
          @Angry Bill Hey Angry. Chow has spoken and says he is a sick man. Later we'll have Doug coming out like wrestler putting in his comments to deflect and make it like Rob is the victim of the Media...
      19. Mike posted on 05/01/2014 10:42 AM
        VOTE LIBERAL!!!
        we don't do crack we just smoke a little weed
        1. john posted on 05/01/2014 11:05 AM
          @Mike i would rather vote for Elvis . yea he is dead but at lest he not a moron like Wynne is .
      20. john posted on 05/01/2014 10:46 AM
        people need to understand something about ford . HE IS A HUMAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only politician who is a human . u would be doing drugs too if u have to babysit 2.5 million people . it is not as easy as u guys think .
        1. Suz58 posted on 05/01/2014 10:59 AM
          @john If he cannot handle it, he should resign. It was his choices (stupors) that got him into this trouble. Instead of facing it like a human, he denied, lied, joked and now finally, realized he is in too deep and needs to face the consequences for his actions.
          I don't wish him bad as a person. As a mayor he is not responsible.
        2. Mike posted on 05/01/2014 11:04 AM
          @john Rob isn't human! either he was hatched or he came out of his mothers azz
      21. john posted on 05/01/2014 10:58 AM
        well if u guys don't whant him how about we do a mayor swap . my towns mayor for yours . got to worn u that she is the female version David miller . so expect higher taxes and bankruptcy of all company s in the city .
        1. arthur posted on 05/01/2014 11:06 AM
          @john aww... Miller/Lastman the good old days of sanity and proper behaviour and respect of the office of mayor
      22. crusty posted on 05/01/2014 11:53 AM
        Sexual comments made by another male at any position is something that happens with 99.9% of males throughout the whole world. It happens because dudes think with their cocks first. We can't help it, we're programmed that way. Ford has been in a bad position for some time, and those statements naturally came out once said somewhat publicly, because that whole ford rob thing has a life on its own. She (karen stinns) should be happy he hasn't said that he wouldn't touch her with a dead fish. Now mind you its not flattering what he said, but she should have said: "Oh that Rob, he says silly things all the time". : )
        1. john posted on 05/01/2014 12:07 PM
          @crusty i would touch her with a 9 feet poll she is to ugly .

byw i was speaking in a metaphor i dont wanna a do a chick that way . that is just stupid . suppose to pleasure women not cause them pain .
        2. Suz58 posted on 05/01/2014 12:32 PM
          @crusty I guess that is where it becomes a problem Crusty. You saying men are programmed to think with their dicks is just ridiculous! I know many men that can think it, but have a filter not to say it out loud.
          Well you need to know, women are not programmed that way and find it sickening.
      23. arthur posted on 05/01/2014 12:16 PM
        why is the slob not sitting in a jail cell this morning? why is he getting a free pass from the cops? me or anyone else on video doing crack the cops are at my door
        1. john posted on 05/01/2014 02:12 PM
          @arthur cause when thay put u in jail thay ran out of room .
        2. Suz58 posted on 05/02/2014 01:32 PM
          @arthur My point exactly Arthur! With all this publicity and him having an DUI and weed charge in the US, how does he manage to get across the border? Ford would not survive one week if he had to live like the rest of us. As I mentioned in another post, if they would have tested some of his credit cards in their nifty machines, they would have the proof they need and actually know what kind of drugs he has been doing. He keeps mentioning that he is willing to take the necessary testing. Weed stays in your system for a month, not sure how long crack does.
          He has been living this lifestyle for at least 16 years, he is not going to fix it in thirty days.
          He is trying to live a double life. One with drugs and booze and associating with criminals yet trying to fit in with the elite.
          The youngest of four children, all of his siblings have associated themselves with drugs in one way or another. Doug was known for selling hash, Kathy was caught for shoplifting and has drug and firearm affiliation. Have a look on Wikipedia. I don't blame him for getting the Mayor position but it sure makes you question how someone with his background could even run in the first place. $200,000 a year the taxpayers are paying for his crap. Not to mention hiring criminals to drive you around and who knows what else. Hell, the normal folk can't even qualify to volunteer with a DUI on their record with some organizations let alone cross the border.
          Remember the young man that tweeted last year for anyone selling weed? It was August/13. He was fired from his job. How does Rob Ford get away with keeping his position as mayor or a large city after admitting to smoking crack? As we saw when Ford pushed that woman down at the council meeting and then could not even apologize. He was imitating someone drinking and driving (another counsel member), obviously, they are still a counsellor.
          I think we need to set the bar higher for people that run as government officials. No different than The senate. Is that not considered theft? Why are they so much more superior to regular folk?
      24. Mark7 posted on 05/01/2014 12:57 PM
        To all the fools here who call Rob Ford a spoiled rich kid I shall ask you this. Show me a spoiled rich kid who works for a living. Ford does not need the job nor the money. He is here for the people of Toronto. The lefties are here to steal your money. The precedent was set by them decades ago... Can you lefties make at least one valid point against Ford? Nope!
        1. Karl Burgin posted on 05/01/2014 01:06 PM
          @Mark7 The funny thing is, its the supposed "spoiled rich kid" who connects most with the people of Toronto (especially the lower class). Whereas candidates like Chow, who was from a poor immigrant family, seems to be the most dissociated with everybody.
          As for Dave Socknocki, it be like 'Dave who? David Miller lite. Or maybe Miller the second..."
        2. Frankie posted on 05/01/2014 03:23 PM
          @Mark7 There's nothing worse than the snobbery of the left when they have money. They've made it and they resent anyone else making it. I believe the term is "swimming pool communist/socialist".

Perfect example - Chow bitching that her mother was used to a 9:00 AM garbage pickup and with privatization they were late. Oh how the left suffer. Cry me a river!
      25. john posted on 05/01/2014 02:32 PM
        i dont know whats worse . chow chow being mayor or the fact the Karin stintz reproduced . i dont like them one bit .
      showing 1-25 of 34 comments · show all comments

Are budget concerns forcing you to have a "staycation" this summer?